Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:58:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsTutorial: Writing branching and meaningful Game Conversations in our game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tutorial: Writing branching and meaningful Game Conversations in our game  (Read 1763 times)
Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: August 31, 2013, 09:16:18 AM »

Here's our approach to writing complex, branching, and meaningful conversations in our indie adventure game Postmortem: one must die,
which has been often complimented for it's intricate dialogue:

... an example of how to write nuanced characters with a reach into complex late-game branching narratives ... which happens little elsewhere in videogameland.
- Cara Ellison, PCgamer.com

... video games can function as a medium for important messages and Postmortem is a prime example of that.
- Cassandra Khaw, USGamer.Net

It took many attempts to figure out a good way so sharing the lessons. We broke the process into following steps:
  • The Editor – setting yourself up right
  • General Concept
  • Distill and Make game-ready
  • Conversation Outline
  • Narrative Beats and Branching Filler
  • Non-essential side branches
  • Test, Refine, Repeat

READ full article HERE!

RyanB
Level 0

FIRE + SKULLS = AWESOME

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 02:08:22 AM »

Thanks for writing this.  I'm working on something that has branching story and gameplay and I'm kind of surprised by the lack of dedicated tools.  I've been fiddling with Twine and its ok but clunky and only useful for story.  Articy draft 2 is the closest I've seen but 300 euros is kind of steep for a small project.

framk
Level 2

I don't know anything

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 11:28:50 AM »

Thank you very much. I have often wanted to experiment with a game focused upon social interaction through conversation, and this very much helps.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic