Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:20:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Space Crusade and Nostalgia
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Space Crusade and Nostalgia  (Read 17107 times)
Daid
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2013, 01:02:22 PM »

I like the idea, but I think it would work better slightly different. As right now the units stand half on a tile and this makes it hard to see used and unused tiles. (For a test I moved the unit drawing code up by half a unit size and this makes it hard to see where you can and cannot move)

So I think it would look easier on the eyes if the walls and units are half a tile down. So the top 2/3 of the wall covers a whole floor tile and the bottom 1/3 half a tile. This puts the units perfect on the tiles again.

The colors look fine I think. I do see your sprites have better masks then the ones I cut from your first sprite sheet (because the background was the same as one of the colors used in the sprite)

Software engineer by trade. Game development by hobby.
The Tribute Of Legends Devlog Co-op zelda.
EmptyEpsilon Free Co-op multiplayer spaceship simulator
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2013, 01:29:20 PM »

Like this? Smiley

Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2013, 02:07:53 PM »

That is some nice spriting. I envy your skills  Cry
Daid
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2013, 04:09:25 AM »

Like this? Smiley

[Ximg]http://www.retroidea.com/space_crusade_upload11.png[/img]
Exactly :-)

Updated with new style walls, and "open door" stripes: http://daid.eu/~daid/SpaceCrusader/

Also changed a bit how the walls are drawn so they no longer show T sections if you have not explored the other side of the wall. And got rid of some strange artifacts on some wall combinations.

pmprog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2013, 05:24:20 AM »

Like this? Smiley

That looks confusing, I think the other one is better (by a good distance).

Could always add a shadow covering the tile area under the character, if you think it needs to define which tile they're on better - but it's much better when they are centred (IMO)
Daid
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2013, 05:37:47 AM »

Could always add a shadow covering the tile area under the character, if you think it needs to define which tile they're on better - but it's much better when they are centred (IMO)
That would break the 16x16 sprite boundary that he set for himself. It's not just a problem of knowing where you are, it's also a problem to judge distance.

See the difference? In the left one the distance to the bottom Chaos Marine is harder to judge, while you have no issue in judging the distance to the right one or the Android. On the right image you have no problem seeing the distance.

pmprog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2013, 07:28:39 AM »

I can see your point, not sure I quite agree with it.

I'd agree with the character "in the tile" if it were a flat representation of the world, but given the perception provided by the walls, IMHO I don't think it works.

What if you added a border around the tiles that contained units, and left them in the middle?

Daid
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2013, 01:14:03 PM »

Guess we'll have to agree on the fact that we disagree. I do see your point, but I think it still works better like this as a game.

I did:
* Add health bars (which I think should only show when they are not full)
* Added a bunch of random generated enemies (needs work)
* Random walking around AI for enemies (placeholder AI)
* 3 squad members which have a 'follow the commander' AI with path finding. They walk a bit slower then you to test the pathfinding.
* Enemies close doors behind them.
* A mini-map.
* Mouse selection of units to see the info about them (name and health right now)
* Walking trough team-members, if you step into a fellow marine you swap places. Makes it easy to get around even with more marines following you.

http://daid.eu/~daid/SpaceCrusader/

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2013, 02:28:18 PM »

The other option of course is to have thinner walls with less of an overlap (i.e. the laser-squad approach).
Daid
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2013, 12:07:06 AM »

Laser-squad seems to use 1 tile thick walls, and has the lines shifted by 50% sidewards and 80% downwards.

With tiles like that it looks like this:

Needs some work at the walls, but now I have mixed feelings...

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2013, 10:44:50 AM »

I've been working on things a bit over the last few days. I've lightened the grey tiles a bit and improved the range of shades. I've managed to use the dark blue as a buffer colour on the greens and the blue as a buffer for the greens and this helps give the illusion of an extra blue and green. I've worked the purple into the faces and used the yellow as a highlight there as well as on the green. Also added more shading, to make it things look a bit more three dimensional.

I think I've sorted out how the walls will look, a small overlap both above and below while keeping the sprites within a clear 16 x 16 outlined floor tile. This also means that the sprites can stand on the same level as the floor when in horizontal open door tiles (important for closing doors on enemies!)

I think it's getting better and the sprites look less flat now (and still sticking to 16 colours):

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2013, 11:40:25 AM »

I'm going to be referencing the most common wall design and doors used in the Amiga/ST/PC version for my mockup:

Although it will probably look quite different due to the height and colour differences. Smiley
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 01:02:10 PM by happymonster » Logged
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2013, 11:05:13 AM »

• Added rather grungy walls (as per the derelict ship theme and original game screenshots).
  • Added two tile wide door.
  • Improved several sprites.
  • Altered colours to make the sprites more faithful to the space marine chapters (and other alien races)
  • Added a blue tint to some of the greys used to make those colours a bit livelier.

tjkopena
Level 0

Fortune favors the bold.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2013, 04:13:22 PM »

Still looking real sweet.  If you're giving yourself some leeway from the original art, I would minimize or remove the horizontal lines on the walls.  Combined with the vertical lines of the tile boundaries, they look more like stacks of boxes than walls.  If trying to stay very faithful to the original art then you're stuck, but otherwise though these look great, the earlier blank walls actually read better as "walls" rather than "stacked stuff."

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2013, 11:16:25 PM »

Yeah, the walls are a tricky one. This is only a mockup so don't know how faithful to be really. I think a lot of the original computer game graphics for the walls were made up anyway as they don't look like the walls in the board game.  Undecided
pmprog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2013, 06:46:00 AM »

@happymonster: Really like the tileset, looks great!

Guess we'll have to agree on the fact that we disagree. I do see your point, but I think it still works better like this as a game.
Well, I certainly look forward to seeing what you (and happymonster) come up with.

BTW - When I tried your link, I just get a black page, and the following in the web tools:

[15:43:58.192] SyntaxError: missing } after property list @ http://daid.eu/~daid/SpaceCrusader/js/game.js:108

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2013, 12:41:45 PM »

Revised walls and tweaked doors:

Better or worse?
pmprog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2013, 04:57:09 AM »

I quite like both wall faces. Neither wall thicknesses seem to look better to me.

The bit I'm not sure about though, is the bright white highlight on the tops, and on the door. Nothing else really has a lightsource so distinct (except maybe the cyborg).
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2013, 11:39:08 PM »

Hmm.. you're probably right about the highlights being too strong as they aren't showing on anything else. I'll see what the tiles look like without them.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2013, 02:46:11 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic