Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:56:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCurse of the Bastards
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Curse of the Bastards  (Read 12153 times)
!Kent2D
Level 0

Bring a torch!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 04, 2013, 07:46:24 PM »

Hey!

I'm starting a new project this week. I'll be updating the devlog of whatever I do here and on Tumblr, where I set pretty much all the stuff I'll need for the development. :D

I've attendet to enough jams to say latelly they're still being fun, but nothing is getting accomplished only by making jam games that are barelly even finished, so I wanted to make something a little bit more long-term. By long term I mean... around 6 to 8 months I suppose. (I hope it doesn't go much further than this)

I've conceived the idea last week. First off with mechanics, Sketched a few characters, wrote a good part of the story, made the map, player track and a few boss mechanics.
Maybe some of you will boo me (or hopefully not) but the game will be a Metroidvania. I know... it's being a little bit overused, but hey... As I grew up my favorite game was always Castlevania Symphony of the Night, so this is where I'm going for. Big map, nothing procedural, secret rooms, fully explorable, but harder. The game's also going to have a humorous side. I can't take anything TOO seriously, so I thought I'd not fight that side of me and just get it along with the theme.

I'll post some sketches, images, ideas, stories... anything I think wouldn't spoil the actual game. :D (That said, don't get mad if I don't get in details about some stuff or another)

Characters~

General Sketches~

The in-game look of the characters~

About:
Bartholomeus: Bartholomeus is a Shadowcaster, he's an ancient remnant of vampires that closely resemble gargoyles.

Pitch: Pitch is a Halfbred. Something you could imagine as being the exact MIDDLE of a human turning to a werewolf, and suddenly the transformation stops. She still has the charm and mind of a girl, but the strength and relentlessness of a werewolf.

Adrian Brandmont: Adrian is from a long lineage of Demon Hunters, the Brandmont clan. He's the chosen one to look after the abnomalities of the Last Eclipse.

Gala: Huh???

The current build of the map~

The Castle is pretty much all set up and every room has its purpose already! It's passive of changes, but then again, everything else is, until it's actually finished.

Mechanics: Think of Curse of the Bastards as a child of Castlevania Symphony of the Night and Megaman X's. You'll choose your character as soon as the game intro is over. Bartholomeus is much like Alucard + Megaman X. His special move will turn him to a Shadowform creature, who's going to have core mechanics thought specifically for this. His regular attacks are going to be shadow bolts, his sub-weapon (unlike castlevania, you're not picking up knifes, axes and such) is a shadowblade, a single hit attack that may be upgraded. Many mechanics will be unlocked through the game, so I don't wanna spoil much more, so you'll just have to wait. Pitch is the seccond choice of character. She's somewhat Richter + Zero. She's a melee character who can combo her attacks. Most of her habilities will be mobility-focused. Her special attack will allow her more Lupine-like movements, such as wall-jumping, charged strikes, berzerk and so on. I can't tell much more around her mechanics because she's a pretty simple character. Her subweapon is a Baseball bat swing, and like Bartholomeus, you can upgrade it.

The bosses will be arcade-like. They repeat a series of patterns until you understand how it works and leave out certain sweetspots for you to hit. I have already 8 or 9 bosses with written mechanics. Then again, the game's not suppose to be easy.

There will be no equipments. I know this is a turndown, but I have to work within my limitations aswell... You can upgrade damage, attack speed, range and a variety of other things, but you can't equip better GEAR. That just doesn't exist. MAYBE if I get the hang of it during the developing process I can shoot in something, but it's not in the design. (though I'm probably making your character appearance change based on amount of upgrades at a certain atribute)

The 'Metroidvania' vein of the game is suppose to be on backtrack, wich is annoying because of the monsters, but totally awesome in many other levels. I expect people to get in a spot where they just don't know where to go and suddenly remember that strange door they passed by sometime during their run.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 12:09:49 PM by Lemon_Kent » Logged

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 10:42:37 PM »

Let's goooo metroidvania!  Hand Money Left
Love the sketches, following!
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 10:45:25 PM »

I like your concepts, tell us more about the mechanics!

karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 01:33:02 AM »

I like your concepts, tell us more about the mechanics!

Yep! tell us more!
!Kent2D
Level 0

Bring a torch!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 05:05:40 AM »

Updated something about Mechanics in the first post!

Sarge
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 06:42:21 AM »

I really like the concept art pieces.  I think it's cool to see that kind of stuff, not enough people show it.

[TWEETER]
If it is stupid, but it works, then it isn't stupid.
!Kent2D
Level 0

Bring a torch!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 06:59:41 PM »

New sketches and concepts updated in the first post! :D

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 09:09:07 PM »

Loving this (and the animated gif you posted)
That front post is going to get awfully full soon if you don't post the work in new posts Smiley

ps: idk how people learn to draw armor so perfectly like that but I love it sooo much <3
!Kent2D
Level 0

Bring a torch!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 09:32:24 PM »

Loving this (and the animated gif you posted)
That front post is going to get awfully full soon if you don't post the work in new posts Smiley

ps: idk how people learn to draw armor so perfectly like that but I love it sooo much <3

Geez! D: Didn't realized that! You're right. Well... I'll start making POSTS for any given update then!~

Haha xD assuming anything I make is even THAT 'perfect', thanks! It's not that hard!~

Insurgent
Level 0

Some stupid nerd.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 10:32:44 AM »

Made an account just to watch this thread. I'm really liking the art style and the mechanics sound pretty awesome. Hope you go through with this idea.  Noir
!Kent2D
Level 0

Bring a torch!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 05:19:40 AM »

Made an account just to watch this thread. I'm really liking the art style and the mechanics sound pretty awesome. Hope you go through with this idea.  Noir

Wow Really ? :D I'm flattered! Thanks. Don't worry. The project developing process might be A little slow at the moment but it's mostly because I'm waiting for the Tumblr HTML to get finished. As I'm posting devlogs both here and there, I feel like the devblog would lose purpose if I don't post in it since the very beggining. But don't worry.  This is my first for-real-project. I won't leave it easily.

toborprime
Level 1

You're luggage - *blam*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 06:50:28 AM »

That concept art rocks! Great name, too! Excited to see some more  Smiley
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 05:55:14 PM »

great art, and you just cant argue with a name like 'curse of the bastards'  Hand Thumbs Up Left

!Kent2D
Level 0

Bring a torch!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 07:55:16 PM »

Just made the first character portrait! I'm programming the game also. Making mechanics feel good enough. I'm not posting the entire thing, but here's a sneak peek!

Everyone knows portraits are the best drawings in most games. In Curse of the Bastards this is not going to be an exception. This is Lilith, one of the 5 Legendary. <3 Sorry I can't show MORE right now. I really don't wanna spoil the whole thing!

toborprime
Level 1

You're luggage - *blam*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 08:16:06 PM »

That's pretty killer looking  Hand Thumbs Up Left Really digging the art direction!
!Kent2D
Level 0

Bring a torch!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 06:10:44 PM »

And yet, another portrait preview! (The images are actually full body)

!Kent2D
Level 0

Bring a torch!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 10:47:10 AM »

The Devlog on tumblr is finally setup! :D Took it a little while but I'll start providing more about the progress of the game here and there!

Check it out here!

http://curse-of-the-bastards.tumblr.com/

rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 01:08:14 PM »

The Devlog on tumblr is finally setup! :D Took it a little while but I'll start providing more about the progress of the game here and there!

Check it out here!

Only your home button works for me.

!Kent2D
Level 0

Bring a torch!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 01:16:10 PM »

Check it out here!

That would be because It only has one post so far! xD Sorry~ I'll feed it tonight at least the contact and "about".

!Kent2D
Level 0

Bring a torch!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 07:37:25 PM »

There! It should work now Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic