Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:12:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNubs' Adventure - I'm done! :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Nubs' Adventure - I'm done! :)  (Read 19862 times)
maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2014, 05:25:45 AM »

I'm reworking the worm again, yes AGAIN! I finally decided to change the way it interacts with the ground. It now can tunnel freely through solid ground and through the earthen backdrop, but outside of that, it follows gravity. Because I reworked the backdrop layer to look like ground, this now makes sense while it didn't before. Furthermore, it naturally restricts the worm's movements and allows me to create better levels. Before, you could just go everywhere with the worm.

The only gripe I have now is that sharp corners don't look very good because the worm is made out of a series of rectangular parts. Dunno how I want to tackle that yet.

Here's it in action:  http://www.imake-games.com/nubs/developmentScreenshots/reworkingTheWorm.gif

Currently:

Released games: Nubs' Adventure | Rico
maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2014, 09:32:43 AM »

I just assembled a short show-reel to show my sound artist some of the things Nubs can do right now:

Currently:

billyboob
Level 0

Kitty

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2014, 01:04:21 PM »

I've been working on the backdrops for the grass tileset:

I like the direction I'm going to, but the actual ground now looks plain and off... :/
Not sure yet how to approach this but I fear if I give the ground structure too it becomes too messy. We'll see!

I see what you mean. I'm not sure if it's the (mostly) flat texture or the colour. I loved how Knytt Underground had all the foreground in black silhouette. Really made everything else pop. I'm not suggesting going black, but perhaps the foreground doesn't need to be brown?  The other thing is, does the brown colour of the ground look a bit green?

The new backdrops for the grass tileset look good and the reworked worm makes sense and feels more... grounded. Sorry.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 01:09:37 PM by billyboob » Logged
maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2014, 12:32:36 PM »

I'm doing further work on the background layer. And I'm playing with hue shifts and saturation increases to make it "pop" more.

Currently:

Savick
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2014, 12:39:34 PM »

The character sprite for the robot looks flat and unfinished in comparison with the rest of the game's art. Just kind of bothers me.
maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2014, 01:52:57 PM »

The character sprite for the robot looks flat and unfinished in comparison with the rest of the game's art. Just kind of bothers me.
Hmmm... that has actually never occured to me before. The game involved a fair bit in terms of graphics since I started working on it. And while everything changed, the hero stayed the same. Thanks for you feedback, I'll see what I can do! Smiley

Currently:

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2014, 04:24:27 AM »

I'm not dead, I swear!

I had to take a hiatus because of... stuff, mainly. But I think I found my mojo again and can continue to work on this little game here.

I've started implementing the wind mechanics:

Top shows the wind particles as the player sees them, middle on the polygons that make up the wind's shape and bottom one shows the paths that the wind particles take, which is a lot currently. :D
At some point in the game, Nubs finds an umbrella which he can use to travel these winds to before unreachable areas.

Currently:

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2014, 09:52:48 AM »

Hey there!

To be honest, after I had to take a break because of my master's thesis, I totally forgot to update this little devlog here...  Embarrassed

But, here's what I did in the meantime:
Started working on the first boss:

I actually plan to let you fight him with the worm but in the screenshot, Nubs himself is running for his life! Wink

The slingshot I had already implemented had to go. I've tried many different variations and it just didn't fit into the game. Wasted a lot of time trying to make it work, but oh well...
But no time for frowning, the slingshot has been replaced by the almighty boomerang! :D

I thought about how I want to do the health meter for the worm, especially in boss battles. At first I tried a traditional approach and just threw a bar into the corner of the screen. But then I remembered that I wanted to spice up the worm itself a bit because it looked bland. And so... I implemented the health meter RIGHT INTO HIS SPINE!!!

I'm happy with the result! ^^

I hope I can be more active here in the future! Smiley

Currently:

ATwerkinYoshi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2014, 11:33:42 AM »

Those particle effects got me hooked. Definitely following!

Sukerunton To Koi Ni (To love a Skeleton)

Dev Blog
maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2014, 02:51:24 PM »

I've been working on the mobile ports of the game (iOS and Android). Here's a screenshot of it on my IPad:

Player input is obviously completely different from the Desktop builds, so there is quite a lot of work involved in this.

Currently:

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2014, 05:32:34 AM »

Been working on some more missing elements that should help make the game feel more alive. An important one: NPCs and dialogs:

The look is definitely WIP, I'm just playing with different fonts, background and layouts. But I hope that adding this makes the game feel more vivid.

Currently:

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2014, 08:41:57 AM »

I've been revisiting a lot of cutscenes and added dialogs to them:

This also adds a lot of explanation to the story and the world.

Currently:

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2014, 12:28:30 PM »

I'm trying out Vine:
https://vine.co/v/OuPYelWeQgD/embed/simple
Ragdoll deaths FTW! :D

Currently:

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2014, 02:58:47 PM »

This Vine thing is fun!

https://vine.co/v/Ou0FzjPHreB

Smiley

Currently:

maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2014, 03:06:23 AM »

I've been working on another boss battle. I think having the giant hovercraft as your first boss is doesn't fit well. In your first proper encounter with the baddies, they attack you with a single boomerang. Them having a giant mechanical flying thing does not... scale well. So I will save this encounter for later! Smiley

What I am replacing it with is a chance to put your boomerang to good use. Basically, you fight one of the bad guys while the other blocks your escape path. While you can throw your boomerang at them, they have shields that will block it if they can. So you need to get behind them and hit them from there. Here's a short video of what it looks like so far:

Currently:

Ziz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2014, 05:24:32 AM »

I really really like this game!

The gfx is really amazing, I just miss some background music. The particles effects are really nice and well done. It was quite a surprise, that the worm is a friend of mine. :D

Great job, locking forward to hear from you, respectively playing it further, I just tested it 15 minutes and was quite amazed about the game.

I would like some options (e.g. as parameters) for the window resolution. Wink

Please keep on your awesome work!
maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2014, 03:15:20 PM »

I really really like this game!

The gfx is really amazing, I just miss some background music. The particles effects are really nice and well done. It was quite a surprise, that the worm is a friend of mine. :D

Great job, locking forward to hear from you, respectively playing it further, I just tested it 15 minutes and was quite amazed about the game.

I would like some options (e.g. as parameters) for the window resolution. Wink

Please keep on your awesome work!
Thank you very much for your motivation! Smiley I take it you played the demo I released a while back. I did a lot of work in the meantime and hope to release a new version soon that improves the game in many ways (I hope). It will also have music! Wink Thanks again for the compliments, I really appreciate it!  Gentleman

Currently:

Ziz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2014, 11:19:31 PM »

Thank you very much for your motivation! Smiley I take it you played the demo I released a while back. I did a lot of work in the meantime and hope to release a new version soon that improves the game in many ways (I hope). It will also have music! Wink
Yes and it really felt like a finished game (as long as I played).
I am looking forward for the new version and will follow your DevLog here. Wink

Thanks again for the compliments, I really appreciate it!  Gentleman
I know. I am developer, too, and it is quite frustrating to get no feedback, although you know, you did a good job.

Greetings,
Ziz
karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2014, 01:13:07 AM »

I've tested the demo and is amazing, damn bastards, they destroyed his house! revenge!
maxl
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2014, 02:50:26 AM »

I know. I am developer, too, and it is quite frustrating to get no feedback, although you know, you did a good job.
So true! If you like, I'd be glad to return the favor if you have a game you want me to try! Smiley

I've tested the demo and is amazing, damn bastards, they destroyed his house! revenge!
Thanks for trying it out! I hope you enjoyed it.  Gentleman

Currently:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic