Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 07:30:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHalfway
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Halfway  (Read 15378 times)
bach
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 07, 2013, 02:03:57 PM »

--- HALFWAY ---

(Click for full resolution)

“The room is flooded with a dull, red emergency light. As you look up, you notice that all the other cryo-tanks around you have been violently destroyed, except for one. The untouched chamber houses another member of your squad, who has also awoken. Dried blood, broken glass and cooling liquid cover the walls and floor. Suddenly, the blinking light on the door’s intercom catches your attention …”

Halfway is a turn-based strategy game taking place a few hundred years in the future. At the heart of the game are tactical gun fights. Battles are conducted in a typical turn-based manner with transparent but interesting tactical decisions. The whole game is entrenched in an engrossing storyline that unfolds more and more the deeper the player delves into the game. Your squad will be built out of distinct characters you pick up along your journey, each with their own part to play in the whole story. You will develop skills and find items as you uncover all the corners of the spaceship, adding a touch of RPG elements to the game.

(Click for full resolution)

We've been working on this game for about 4 months now and are at about alpha-ish stage. We have most of the core features implemented and are working hard on the content.  We still have a long, long way to go - but we'd love to keep a devlog here on the board and share more about some of the details behind the game. If there's anything specifically you'd like to hear about do let me know!

We're hoping to release the game later this year on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. Currently considering tablets as a possibility for a later release.

Alpha Gameplay video (Sept. 2013):

Gameplay Video with commentary (Nov. 2013):

Official Website
Twitter
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 03:01:22 AM by bach » Logged
wbahnassi
Level 0

3D Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 02:30:37 PM »

This reminds me a bit of the interior levels of Red Alert 1 (

). That was too claustrophobic to me Smiley The graphics look cool though Hand Thumbs Up Right, but I suggest bringing out the characters a bit as they look lost in the rest of the crowded level.

Looking forward a video!

MECH6
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 02:36:14 PM »

This looks rad.  Cool

bach
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 11:57:26 PM »

This reminds me a bit of the interior levels of Red Alert 1 (

). That was too claustrophobic to me Smiley The graphics look cool though Hand Thumbs Up Right, but I suggest bringing out the characters a bit as they look lost in the rest of the crowded level.

Looking forward a video!

Never thought about Red Alert, but now that you mention it Smiley Thank you re: the comment on the characters, you are right they do get lost a little in the rest at times. We already have a few ideas to improve this.
Patriick
Level 0

Artist & Animator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 12:58:10 AM »

This looks VERY nice! - Great graphics and really pretty looking effects and such from the screenshots and website...

Nice work so far Tongue I'll keep my eye on this project :D

~Medieval Art Studio~

MCE - Mechanical Covert Espionage [Devlog]
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=35874.0
bach
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 01:08:45 AM »

This looks rad.  Cool

Thank you Smiley Glad you like it!

This looks VERY nice! - Great graphics and really pretty looking effects and such from the screenshots and website...

Nice work so far Tongue I'll keep my eye on this project :D

Cheers! Yea we got a lot more to share. The lighting is actually completely dynamic. We've wanted to take some retro inspired stuff and bring a modern twist to it. Stuff that wouldn't have been possible 10 years ago.
Patriick
Level 0

Artist & Animator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 01:24:56 AM »

Cheers! Yea we got a lot more to share. The lighting is actually completely dynamic. We've wanted to take some retro inspired stuff and bring a modern twist to it. Stuff that wouldn't have been possible 10 years ago.

That's exactly what I want to do with my project, well I say my... Its a shared effort between me and two other friends, but I want that kind of lighting and such. Its just the current engine won't allow it however we will be switching to another, this is just for prototyping. The other engine will allow such lighting and pretty effects :D

I just had to compliment the graphics, it looks really polished... Like something I would spend money on and such. Some games look good and fun but I am picky when it comes to spending money HAHA. (Us starving artists have to be stingy with our money)

Keep it up, I'd love to see how this game progresses Tongue

Kind Regards
Patrick Griffiths

~Medieval Art Studio~

MCE - Mechanical Covert Espionage [Devlog]
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=35874.0
Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 02:19:25 AM »

this looks SO MONEYSUPERMARKET

So long and thanks for all the pi
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 04:00:31 AM »

Looks cool.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 04:44:58 AM »

That's some nice pixelart you have there!  Beer!

bach
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 07:37:12 AM »

Old and tough commander is taking an enemy apart with a few bullets. I added the pulverising effect last week, which allows us to pretty much blow anything up into beautiful pixel ashes.  Evil
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 10:10:12 AM »

Looks awesome! Smiley
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 10:34:22 AM »

That pulverising effect looks gorgeous!  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 10:42:50 AM »

The GUI is very well done. The pixel-art looks pretty crisp too Smiley
newobj
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 11:37:18 AM »

OMFG let me play this RIGHT NOW.
mbalestrini
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 12:33:03 PM »

it looks really great! i wanna play it!

shangoat
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 12:35:52 PM »

This looks promising!
Can you control every party member like Jagged Alliance or only PC like Fallout, then set NPC's combat preference? I'm making a group tactic game like yours, but on a much smaller scale and early stage, so that's something I'm considering at this moment too.

Also I think this would look brilliant on iPad.
bach
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 12:39:21 PM »

Thanks for the love guys!

This looks promising!
Can you control every party member like Jagged Alliance or only PC like Fallout, then set NPC's combat preference? I'm making a group tactic game like yours, but on a much smaller scale and early stage, so that's something I'm considering at this moment too.

Also I think this would look brilliant on iPad.

You control the entire party, just like in JA.

Yea agreed, the game would work well on tablets. Certainly something we're considering - but can't promise anything just yet.
Reilly
Level 2

14/f/tx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 01:20:21 PM »

Turn based strategy stuff was made for tablets. Such a good input mechanism.
I think using a mouse for TBS can be very awkward.

bach
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 06:19:05 AM »

We just put up a first gameplay video from the current state of the game. Keep in mind -> Alpha footage. Lots can and will probably change Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic