Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 03:35:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs3D Physics Platformer [demo!]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: 3D Physics Platformer [demo!]  (Read 6771 times)
Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« on: September 10, 2013, 08:51:08 AM »

EDIT: this became an asset store kit so we can all join together to make me money revive the legendary 3D platformer!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
ORIGINAL POST:

Hello, i've started making a platformer and you can play a bare bones demo here:

DEMO: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26630920/3DPlat_demo1/3DPlat_demo1.html
(this demo is 2 weeks into development)

I think this could be a cool puzzle platformer revolving around physics interactions and exploration. I really enjoy game design and programming, and want to make a great game for retail. If you are a 3D artist and interested in working with me (not neccessarily on this game), please send me an email at:
[email protected] (or PM me)

Thanks, and any feedback is welcome!

« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 06:16:57 PM by Greg Sergeant » Logged

coah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 09:12:49 AM »

Pulling boxes and throwing the yellow things felt the most interesting to me. Glitch or not, but when I was pulling the large blue box I kind of had to jiggle it back and forth. I really enjoyed that.

Picking up rings and using them like in the gif's looks pretty sweet too. I think you've got something there.
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 09:18:54 AM »

It might not be a glitch, it's similar in real life Embarrassed
Greg Game Man
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 03:35:33 PM »

Did some texture experiments just now.. its pretty terrible but we'll see what happens

Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 03:49:32 PM »

This looks super cool.
vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 05:47:02 PM »

For a keyboard controlled 3D platformer, the controls are amazingly tight. Keep this up!

Greg Game Man
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 06:57:54 AM »

Thanks guys, I can tell this game is going to be very challenging for me so feedback is nice.

Which do people prefer? Sharp vector textures, or the softer painted textures?

« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 07:03:29 AM by Greg Sergeant » Logged

shelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 07:12:37 AM »

looks smooth. =)

rocket5tim
Level 0

outside the frame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 10:31:55 AM »

It's a nice prototype but I couldn't find my way over to the water area which looks like it has the more interesting mechanics - I was especially looking forward to the rope slide. 

Camera is always tricky in 3D platformers, I was going to mention that it needs look around, but then I found the tutorial text for that.  Still the cam look around is a little awkward mainly because it takes a few fingers to move and look at the same time.  I wonder if the mechanics would work as well (or better) in a sidescroller setup so then the player wouldn't need to deal with the camera as much (or at all) and you wouldn't have to work out the camera clipping/collision issues.

Anyway, great start!

Greg Game Man
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 11:58:52 AM »

Thanks for the feedback! I'll include different camera setups so everyone has something they like.

I started trying to make the main character tonight, keepin it real simple because i don't know what i'm doing in blender, then i got carried away painting textures:

Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 12:10:11 PM »

Make him an unlockable(providing you get permission from the SMB Team).
Greg Game Man
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 12:48:06 PM »

cool idea. This is 2nd attempt, he looks kind of evil. Think i will see with a color that doesnt resemble skin, and add something to his arms.

Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 01:13:26 PM »

The gifs at the top look really neat Smiley

I don't like either of the environment textures in the later pics; they both look worse than the untextured version to me.  The smooth is a bit better, but those excessively tiled brick and wood patterns look very bad to me.

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
Greg Game Man
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 01:18:44 PM »

The gifs at the top look really neat Smiley

I don't like either of the environment textures in the later pics; they both look worse than the untextured version to me.  The smooth is a bit better, but those excessively tiled brick and wood patterns look very bad to me.

thanks for the good feedback man, i agree i dont like the look of either right now. I think with a bit of work i can make painted textures look ok.

Dude has become some dinosaur egyptian.. trying to think what to paint on his back because its very boring to look at right now..

Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 01:55:13 PM »

Backpack carrying god knows what.
Greg Game Man
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 07:10:56 AM »

Good call! I tried backpack, but actually when hes animated his feet get in the way a lot.

Doing hero animations today, barely know my way around blender so kind of winging it. I cant really afford to spend long on any character or animation, so trying to get away with minimal keyframes here.. run is inspired by Mario64 a bit, Mario and Team Ico games have the best animation! Oh, i changed his face because the other one looked a bit evil, now he looks kind of retarded but a bit more likeable i think.

Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 07:17:43 AM »

snip

Haha the character does look retarded, but I really like that run animation! It's really smooth .
Iso
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 07:45:10 AM »

Wow... I've been using Blender for a couple weeks and none of my stuff looks even half as good as that. The character is simple, the running animation is simple but it really does work.

Really liking the look of this. It's got puzzles in it I first dreamed about when Half-Life 2 started teasing it's physics (mainly the zip line kinda mechanic - love it).

DarkUser
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 09:14:55 AM »

Cool mechanics, looking good already.  Retard face cracked me up  Smiley

andreyin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 10:18:09 AM »

Yessss
Delicious collectibles

Xbox 360 joystick support when? Unless it has it already, haven't tested playing with it.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic