Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 03:20:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsVery Basic Procedural Content Generation - Haxe
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Very Basic Procedural Content Generation - Haxe  (Read 2716 times)
CaptainKraft
Level 0

Chillin like a villin

View Profile WWW
« on: September 11, 2013, 06:04:07 AM »

One of the problems I've found with learning PCG is that the absolute beginner information is hard to find. The PCG wiki and Roguelike sites offer a ton of amazing information, but it's a bit intimidating. Also, the thread here on TIG for PCG has some broken links and I couldn't find what I was looking for when I got started.

That's why I wrote a tutorial for how to get started with PCG with a super simple dungeon generator. Ask any questions you like, I'd love to answer them
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 05:51:31 PM by CaptainKraft » Logged

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 06:18:08 AM »

One of the problems I've found with learning PCG is that the absolute beginner information is hard to find. The PCG wiki and Roguelike sites offer a ton of amazing information, but it's a bit intimidating. Also, the thread here on TIG for PCG has some broken links and I couldn't find what I was looking for when I got started.

That's why I wrote a tutorial for how to get started with PCG with a super simple dungeon generator. Ask any questions you like, I'd love to answer them

The link is a little broken, managed to get there though Smiley

poe
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 02:28:13 PM »

http://gamedev.tutsplus.com/tutorials/game-design/create-a-procedurally-generated-dungeon-cave-system/
Daid
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 12:41:53 AM »

I think most PCG tutorials (including this one) miss the basic idea behind PCG, and that's that you automate what you normally could do by hand.

I think the basis of PCG starts on paper. How would you generate a dungeon by hand? What steps would you walk trough? And then automate those steps.

Software engineer by trade. Game development by hobby.
The Tribute Of Legends Devlog Co-op zelda.
EmptyEpsilon Free Co-op multiplayer spaceship simulator
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 03:52:36 AM »

And then automate those steps.
The thing is that this step can seem impossible if you're a bad or inexperienced programmer, and learning how to generate a simple layout can help you conceptualize your own levelgen ideas in code terms.
CaptainKraft
Level 0

Chillin like a villin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 05:52:48 PM »

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I managed to fix that stupid mistake that broke the link.

The goal of the post is to help beginners ease into PCG. The way I approached that was to make it very easy to follow with some clear concepts that are easy to implement. Hopefully the article does the job

Daid
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »

And then automate those steps.
The thing is that this step can seem impossible if you're a bad or inexperienced programmer, and learning how to generate a simple layout can help you conceptualize your own levelgen ideas in code terms.
I know, that's why these tutorials are valuable. But to me it feels a bit like explaining how to build a plane without explaining that wings are needed for lift.

Software engineer by trade. Game development by hobby.
The Tribute Of Legends Devlog Co-op zelda.
EmptyEpsilon Free Co-op multiplayer spaceship simulator
toborprime
Level 1

You're luggage - *blam*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 01:27:39 AM »

I found this tutorial really helpful - a lot of murky concepts made clear, and makes me more excited to do more experimenting with this stuff. Thanks for posting this Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic