Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 03:09:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingHeart & Slash (3D beat'em up roguelike) On Kickstarter! NEW ALPHA!!!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Heart & Slash (3D beat'em up roguelike) On Kickstarter! NEW ALPHA!!!  (Read 4275 times)
Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2013, 01:30:34 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 05:07:06 PM by Juan Raigada » Logged

valhike
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 02:51:23 PM »

Very interested in playing this game but I thinking there a bug at the title screen because not button seems to start the game for me. But this game does sound like something wonderful I just hope the alpha will be working soon.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 02:59:02 PM by valhike » Logged
valhike
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 03:01:28 PM »

nevermid just realized a controller was needed. :D now I can play
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 03:06:06 PM »

Dunno if I did something wrong (maybe controls need reconfiguring, I tried default) but the weapon was cumbersome to use, requiring me to time the attack buttons (like x on the 360 controller) and the right trigger tapping at the same time. The weapon was only briefly visible when tapping the right trigger and otherwise not functional. I like the rest of it except that aspect. Also an enemy's rockets somehow propelled me forward and into the bottomless pit ahead rather than backward. This is really promising though, tight Smiley

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
valhike
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 03:20:16 PM »

bugs I've seen so far

1. when you die the screen just goes freezes on a black screen
2. the AI sometimes won't attack you
3. There are times when there are button lag occurs during combat
4. have found my self attacking with an invisible sword before

I plan to stick with this game longer and see what other bugs I can find because I really enjoyed it and would like to help you polished it up. I really liked that there were platforming elements and not just moving form room to room and the combat was good as well but of course it will be much better when the game is competently finished. There is tons of potential here. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 06:54:55 PM by valhike » Logged
Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 05:23:04 AM »

Hey,

Thanks for trying this!!!!

Some of these bugs are new to me, but I think I know where they might come from.

An important thing: You have 3 slots for weapons, and only one is active at each time. You activate the left weapon by HOLDING the left trigger and the right weapon by HOLDING the right trigger. I think that might be the timing issue Games Inquirer refers to.

This is confusing for the player, it seems, and I´m trying to figure out a better control system. Or at least how to teach this one properly.

valhike, can you elaborate on those input lags? Which weapon and which attacks make it happen?Huh?

Thanks again, guys. I´m very nervous putting something this early out in the open.

valhike
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 09:09:14 AM »

Well during combat most of the time its the evade that lags from the time the button was pressed. As for the invisible weapons, that problem is noticeable both in and outside combat and it happens to every weapon. When it happens you can see the weapons pop up but then they just disappear. You can still hit monsters but you just won't see the weapon hitting them when you do.

Also about the monsters. I'm unsure its a bug or if you meant for them to be the way they are but I think it might be a bug. Whenever monsters are successfully hit they don't move or try blocking so they just keep taking hits when ever I hit them. This happens for every monster and every time I have replayed the demo.   
Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 03:36:48 AM »

Well during combat most of the time its the evade that lags from the time the button was pressed. As for the invisible weapons, that problem is noticeable both in and outside combat and it happens to every weapon. When it happens you can see the weapons pop up but then they just disappear. You can still hit monsters but you just won't see the weapon hitting them when you do.

Also about the monsters. I'm unsure its a bug or if you meant for them to be the way they are but I think it might be a bug. Whenever monsters are successfully hit they don't move or try blocking so they just keep taking hits when ever I hit them. This happens for every monster and every time I have replayed the demo.   

Cool, thanks a lot. I will look into the weapon disappearance bug.

The delay on the evade is due to the current cancel point for several attacks. You can not get out of an attack during it's animation, unless that attacks cancels into the new one (I need to double check most attacks cancel into the evades, I might be missing some checks) and maybe I need to bring the cancel point forward a little. You are supposed to be committed to an attack once you start it, though. I want to tweak this carefully.

The monsters being able to be hit repeatedly is WAD right now, but I agree that might have to change. I'm thinking in setting the hit-stun and knockdown states has having some invulnerability, or at least be uninterruptible, so you can't continuously hit them. Maybe also making the hit-stun animation take less time.

Bear in mind the balance is off, and there are way too few enemies out there. With up to 8 enemies at the same time, hitting an enemy could cause you to be hit. So as with the previous issue, I want to approach it with caution until I can be sure it's working in a way that enhances the gameplay...

Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 11:38:19 AM »

wanna play this but i dont have a controller

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 07:12:48 AM »

wanna play this but i dont have a controller

Ok, I will release a M&K compatible version next week. It´s going to be rough, though. I won´t have time to finetune the controls (because some of them might change soon)...

Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 07:23:31 AM »

YESSSS!

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 10:33:46 AM »

Ok, just an update for those of you waiting for keyboard controls: They are definitely coming on the next version. ETA Sunday.

Check the Devlog for details on why I didn't give you a quick and dirty version today:http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=34470.msg948486#msg948486

Oh, and the black screen after death bug has been squished. Only the weapon bug left (the enemy AI is incomplete, but I don't consider their behavior as a "bug" necessarily. Just bad AI and balance)...

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 09:15:26 AM »

Ok, so it took one day longer. I found a crazy bug while implementing the new pick-up menu. It was super simple, but it wasn't where I was looking for it, so I spent 4 hours until I realized it was not the new code, but some random use of corroutines during a cutscene...

Anyway: NEW VERSION WITH KEYBOARD INPUT AND CONTROL CONFIGURATION UP.

This was quite a pain to do, and some polish work is still left. But at this point I should be overriding most of Unity's input system. Plus the new menus are quite easy to work with, so the work left there (audio and video options) should be trivial (I'm just waiting for having audio and implementing image effects so there's something to set there...)

Also, as a bonus, there's now an alternate weapon selection mode (implementation of which should have squished the "invisible weapon" bug).

Let me know what you guys think, and if you find any bug!!!

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 07:01:13 AM »

New version up. Some bugs polished and a new bodypart implemented (it will need to randomly spawn, though).

deatils here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=34470.msg951213#msg951213

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 01:59:03 PM »

Ok, so the previous version had a bug that didn't allow you to go pass the title screen without a keyboard (the title screen is a placeholder, so I didn't carry the *override* for the keyboard menu -enter- into that code). So it was unplayable on keyboard.

IT SHOULD WORK NOW. New version 0.11b. Press enter on the title screen and the escape once the game is running to configure the keyboard (arrows, enter and escape to move through the menus)...

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 04:04:20 PM »

is it possible to play this with a mouse and keyboard?

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 08:48:50 PM »

is it possible to play this with a mouse and keyboard?

Yes, it should work now. To get to the input config screen press enter on the title screen and once the game is playing press esc to trigger the menu.

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 08:59:23 PM »

kk

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 08:32:15 AM »

NEW VERSION UP!

Check the first post in this thread or the devlog.

Now mouse input is possible. Plus three more bodyparts that can spawn (Sticky boots, 1% suit and Carronade). And the Italian boots in the last version probably didn't get enough playtime yet Tongue.

Moreover, the level generator should no be kinder to generating bigger levels with more pickups, so as to make it easier for you guys to test it all...

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 08:50:43 AM »

OK...

NEW ALPHA (KS-RELEASE CANDIDATE) VERSIONS ON THE FIRST POST!!!!

I have decided to release early the alpha in these forums. The reasons are twofold:

1- This will allow me to see what feedback I can get from this awesome community and try to fix as much as possible before making it public on KS. IF YOU PLAY THIS; PLEASE, WRITE YOUR THOUGHTS HERE!

2-This is the community that started it all, so I feel very strongly about coming here before I go anywhere else.

Now, as to what's in the alpha. For those of you following the Devlog it would have been obvious that from August to December I couldn't put too much time on the game. Nonetheless, in terms of weapons, items and enemies, there is more than twice the content than in the previous version. It should be more polished now, and look better, too.

Now, the game is still only half-optimized. If your framerate is not too good, consider going into the video menu and deactivating Depth of Fiel, Antialiasing and Bloom!

PSA: Gamepad mapping on MAC OSX seems to be broken
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 01:52:54 AM by Juan Raigada » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic