Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 03:40:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTIE - A Game About Depression
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Author Topic: TIE - A Game About Depression  (Read 27295 times)
TonyNowak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2015, 11:05:07 AM »

Interactions are complete now which means I can move onto the next level and (finally) do some art stuff! Here's a test from the soon to be redesigned outside level:

« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 12:43:17 PM by TonyNowak » Logged
TonyNowak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2015, 12:42:24 PM »

So we have a bunch too show you as well as welcoming a new team member, darithorn. We've collaborated together in the past and he worked with me on the very first version of TIE, February of 2012. He's a brilliant programmer who has helped me and the game along lately in transitioning to C Sharp, and it's awesome to have him back. Already we've made a ton of progress so let's talk about the game.

First art for TIE. (2012)

First build of TIE. (2012)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

First of all, we have doors, accompanied with sound effects, any interior has them, and there's the wood type seen in the gif as well as metal doors!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

We have an updated outdoor map.I have a leafless version of the oak coming soon to replace the ones in the screenshot.

Added a bit of depth to the buildings.

Darithorn has been working on the NPC interaction code, and interactions with NPC's will now feature clickable dialogue choices that will affect certain parts of a day, NPC's can also walk around now as well, and have their share of idle animations/walk animations. We're making good headway and have version control setup for the team and we hope to have a something playable for you all very soon.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 01:11:25 PM by TonyNowak » Logged
darithorn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2015, 02:48:47 PM »

Hi! I've been a lurker on tigsource for a while. I've programmed as a hobby for well over 4 years. Working with Tony the past few years has been great. I program for the project in my free time. I helped organize the project to make collaboration with the team easier. Right now I'm working on implementing NPC interactions so we can have interactions like dialogue. There's way more to come!
TonyNowak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2015, 02:40:28 PM »

Bus stop at night. The code for the game is pretty much wrapped up, and we'll be doing tons of art in the coming weeks, so stay tuned for more.
TonyNowak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2015, 09:49:10 PM »

Panoramic shot. Expect a steady stream of art in the coming weeks.
nnyei
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2015, 12:30:30 AM »

I absolutely love the color palette and the whole mood this game has going on. Grin
But if I may give you a little bit of critique...

This image here. The way the depth of the buidlings is depicted suggests that you stand above the buildings and look down on them, which perpetually confuses my brain. If you're looking up, which would fit this image better, the top of the buildings should look more like this: /\ (the angle isn't nearly as acute of course, but I'm too lazy to open up PS and paint over it)
Though, I personally don't like the addition of this kind of depiction of depth in general because the "stripes" of the buildings become a bit too prominent and it detracts a bit from the overall pastel color palette.

I'm really loving everything else, though.
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: August 05, 2015, 04:28:57 AM »

Wow those night scenes are just breath taking.

TonyNowak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2015, 07:48:55 AM »

@nnyei I've always been at terms with it, I'd like some sort of shadowing or form of consistent shading on the buildings at day, but let me play around with some angles and I'll make them visible in the next screenshot. Smiley

@JctWood Thank you!
nnyei
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 05, 2015, 07:57:41 AM »

@nnyei I've always been at terms with it, I'd like some sort of shadowing or form of consistent shading on the buildings at day, but let me play around with some angles and I'll make them visible in the next screenshot. Smiley

You go and do what you think is best for your game. Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley Just don't forget that the windows need to be angled as well when the roof is at an angle. I'll be looking forward to what you'll come up with. Smiley
Chris MacAdam
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 05, 2015, 09:48:00 AM »

I agree that the night scene is really beautiful, the daytime one looks nice too, but maybe try nnyei's idea.
The idea of the game sounds pretty cool too I like where this is going.  Smiley

Will Sykes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2015, 09:53:35 AM »

This game looks really cool, but also looks really like "Every day the same dream"
http://www.molleindustria.org/everydaythesamedream/everydaythesamedream.html
was this an inspiration?
TonyNowak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2015, 05:53:25 AM »

Hey guys, it's been awhile, and I've been busy with life stuff/work, so apologies. We have a full playable day completed, this is huge for us. Our systems work and transitioning between scenes is smooth, from here on out going about the completion of the other days will be much easier, and not so tedious. Being able to go from morning noon, and night, being complemented by the music and all of the other things we're doing, this is starting to feel really special. Look forward to updates.
de11ed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: November 02, 2015, 09:40:04 AM »

Yaaay! This is one of those games that I've seen for a long time and been intrigued by this whole time. The pixel graphic looks so damn sweet, the idea of it being about depression is really cool and the music is just perfect!

So, all this makes me so glad to hear that it's active again :D Keep up the great work man!

composer • producer • songwriter • human
Website | Twitter | Soundcloud
stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2015, 02:41:39 PM »

This game is looking great. The ambientation looks really cool and the premise is very original, good luck!

< check out the devlog! or Twitter!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: November 02, 2015, 07:09:13 PM »

ohhh welcome back! lookin good  Hand Thumbs Up Right

TonyNowak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: November 02, 2015, 11:49:42 PM »

Thank you all for your comments and support, really makes us all feel great about this, got caught up in the grind is all. I want to take a minute to outline the above post in better detail and pass on some credit to Jeremy, since the last time this was playable for the public in the form of web-players, a lot has changed, Jeremy has gone over the games entire audio library, adding and editing. The sound has really been a labor of love and this speaks volumes about the game itself.

I've created night versions of all maps, including the home, office maps. I won't bother with screenshots as I guess it's mostly here, albeit with minor changes etc. everything now is mostly internally changing, darithorn has been awesome and got our scene transition stuff working flawlessly. The game runs stably, but we aren't without the occasional mishap or bug, but at this point, it's all scene specific and only happens if we didn't setup something right in inspector or spaced to add a certain component.

When we feel comfortable with a few more things, I'd like to upload a build for you guys to enjoy.

Devi Ever
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2015, 04:11:56 AM »

Looks gorgeous! :D

TonyNowak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: November 05, 2015, 07:40:04 PM »

Cough cough.

TonyNowak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: December 04, 2015, 08:07:23 AM »

The snow has melted, week art wip.

http://imgur.com/36GIPOi

For some reason it's no appearing with img tags, w/e.
PixelDensity
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 04, 2015, 08:32:57 AM »

I just sat and read the whole dev log and wow. The art style and the idea behind the game is amazing. I am excited to see more of this in the near future. I shall also be following this, good luck!

3D Artist.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic