Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:25:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPath to the Sky
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Path to the Sky  (Read 37312 times)
dek
Level 1

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2013, 04:39:40 AM »

Path to the Sky is a roguelike platformer that gets harder as you climb up.
STEAM EARLY ACCESS ON 2nd February!

STEAM EARLY ACCESS!

PRESSKIT | TWITTER

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 02:03:45 AM by dek » Logged

The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 07:09:58 AM »

First of all, was listening to this:

when I looked at your gif. Incredible combination.

Anyway I'm curious for it. It looks interesting. Will the levels be more vertical then? Instead of the usual more horizontal levels (like the first Marios).

I also like how you can really feel the force of the character by the camera movement.

A solid start, work on and show more!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 12:47:03 PM by The_Observer » Logged

Conker534
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 07:14:52 AM »

Okay that was the smoothest gif I ever have seen, how?
dek
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 09:34:48 AM »

First of all, was listening to this:

when I looked at your gif. Incredible combination.

Anyway I'm curious for it. It looks interesting. While the levels be more vertical then? Instead of the usual more horizontal levels (like the first Marios).

I also like how you can really feel the force of the character by the camera movement.

A solid start, work on and show more!

Cheers.The levels are not "oriented" in any direction, you can go in any direction indefinitely. Horizontally means the monsters are the same difficulty, vertically means harder / easier. I will have to work out how to limit this though, so people dont just grind mobs by staying horizontal all the time. probably a time factor or something more interesting.

Okay that was the smoothest gif I ever have seen, how?

Yeah making smooth gifs is really painful. This is how I do it: record lossless 60fps footage with dxtory to ramdisk. Import footage to AfterEffects and resize it to desired size. Export with quicktime codec(this is the most important part, other codecs fuck this up). Load gif in photoshop and do "save file for web". Yep, pretty retarded.. some day I will write a program that does this and I'll live happily forever

The_Observer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 12:38:04 PM »

Anyway I'm curious for it. It looks interesting. Will the levels be more vertical then? Instead of the usual more horizontal levels (like the first Marios).

Cheers.The levels are not "oriented" in any direction, you can go in any direction indefinitely. Horizontally means the monsters are the same difficulty, vertically means harder / easier. I will have to work out how to limit this though, so people dont just grind mobs by staying horizontal all the time. probably a time factor or something more interesting.

Cool, maybe you could add a rising water level or lava. You can also try a stronger enemy that appears when the player stays there for too long, a Tremors-like worm or something. Or even simpler, you can limit the enemies/resources on a height.

Conker534
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 12:55:16 PM »

Just level cap the floors, like if you're level 5 you don't get gold or exp anymore on the first section.
poe
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 01:00:17 PM »

hi dek
shelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 02:15:23 PM »

nice to see it here =) keep it up.
I'm looking forward to the prototype!

Raiyumi
Level 1

DJ Kat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 04:11:30 PM »

Yeah making smooth gifs is really painful. This is how I do it: record lossless 60fps footage with dxtory to ramdisk. Import footage to AfterEffects and resize it to desired size. Export with quicktime codec(this is the most important part, other codecs fuck this up). Load gif in photoshop and do "save file for web". Yep, pretty retarded.. some day I will write a program that does this and I'll live happily forever

That's an insane process for a gif!
Game looks really nice too.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 06:00:13 PM »

yo dek

how much music u think u needddd

:O

if something in the style of http://tindeck.com/listen/xhwq seems good we should work somethin' out - that one's for even the ocean but i feel like something a little more airy rather than foresty could work well with this

play hydlide 2
dek
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 12:27:57 PM »

hi dek
hi poe

Cool, maybe you could add a rising water level or lava. You can also try a stronger enemy that appears when the player stays there for too long, a Tremors-like worm or something. Or even simpler, you can limit the enemies/resources on a height.

Currently I am figuring something out much like the last thing you suggested. Ive pretty much come to the conclusion that just generating endless worlds isnt fun because you can reward yourself endlessly by farming crap. Im heading towards generating a construct of islands (possibly ones that you can also physically move into, so there would be rooms) that represent a "floor". There is a certain amount of stuff you see on a construct and you basically have to work with that. This will hopefully provide a way to create replay value that offers variation in difficulty and items/drops/encounters.

yo dek

how much music u think u needddd
:O

if something in the style of http://tindeck.com/listen/xhwq seems good we should work somethin' out - that one's for even the ocean but i feel like something a little more airy rather than foresty could work well with this

sup Smiley Im just looking around for artists right now. I have worked together with a lot of composers and it just didnt work out with most of them. Its almost impossible for me to agree on working with someone based on their previous stuff for other games, so I ask people to just create a rough something that they think could work with the game. If it turns out that the vibe really matches what I am looking for, then thats a solid basis to work on. As for the track you linked: I am almost set with ambient tracks. What I am looking for now is actually more fast paced rhythmic stuff. Having a moody ambient track running while you bash monsters doesnt feel that great (at least to me). I will be using the ambient stuff mostly during transitions and when the player has no enemies nearby. But if you are up for creating something more dramatic, I'll be happy to hear some stuff!

mes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 12:12:52 PM »

hey dek. exploration was too boring?  Cheesy

looks fun though. i can tell because it has dash attacks.

is it just this area or has your color palette gone in a retro direction?
DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 10:28:34 PM »

Sorry for the bump, I gotta say I really hope to see more of this game. It's been three months since any updates now, just wanted to let you know that there is an audience interested in this game Hand Money Left Grin Hand Money Right
CasePortman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 05:48:38 AM »

I absolutely agree with DarkWanderer, this looks fantastic!

Also, did you settle on a composer for the game?
dek
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 07:19:52 AM »

New animations, new tileset, new almost anything.
No UI in this version right now, Ill possibly show that later.

Also, heres a longer video that shows the individual animations more seperated in case anyone is interested. Im sending this one to some sound people so they can demo a sound environment Smiley Video link:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8560660/sound_demo.mp4

Sorry for the bump, I gotta say I really hope to see more of this game. It's been three months since any updates now, just wanted to let you know that there is an audience interested in this game Hand Money Left Grin Hand Money Right

And I am finally fulltime indie working on this project (since november), so its my main priority to get this thing somewhere asap.  Tears of Joy

hey dek. exploration was too boring?  Cheesy

max, im glad to read that you are still amongst the living. to answer your question, yes. what about your studio?  Smiley

I absolutely agree with DarkWanderer, this looks fantastic!

Also, did you settle on a composer for the game?

Nope, at the moment theres no composer. I am talking to a few sound guys but thats mainly sfx. I'm still looking for someone  Beg

Ant
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 07:32:01 AM »

damn that's looking fine  Hand Thumbs Up Right
jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 09:11:27 AM »

Looks amazing! I remember voting yes on Greenlight for this ages ago. I could just tell it was going to be something awesome. Keep at it!

dek
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 09:23:30 AM »

Thanks guys!

Looks amazing! I remember voting yes on Greenlight for this ages ago. I could just tell it was going to be something awesome. Keep at it!

The game has been on Greenlight forever (Since week nr. 1 I think) but it had been disabled for longer development breaks. Its been slowly creeping its way up with a steady amount of votes and recently got into the top 100 with all the greenlight games being released. If there does happen to be another greenlight batch before they remove it, it might get in that way. Thanks for voting Smiley

DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 10:27:02 AM »

Progress looks great Beer!
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 12:59:58 PM »

Yeah! New stuff! I've been following this game on IndieDB. Progress looks great

Can we still do these kinds of moves?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic