Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411418 Posts in 69362 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 05:10:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsUnityPatterns.com - Scripts, tools, & resources for Unity developers
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: UnityPatterns.com - Scripts, tools, & resources for Unity developers  (Read 8895 times)
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2013, 07:53:05 AM »

What's wrong with dynamic pooling? Once you hit limit, "goal post" is moved and you have more objects in your pool. There would be (unnoticeable) delay with instantiating one new object to add to the pool, but once it's done, limit is increased.

The real danger comes when the player has the ability to instantiate objects in some way. If there is no way to stop them from creating new objects, they can theoretically keep making objects until the game crashes. Dynamic pooling is better than no pooling, but doesn't address the issue with player-prompted object creation. Without some form of hard limit, there's nothing to stop the player from eventually crashing the software.

A reasonable approach would be to combine standard object pooling with the dynamic approach you mention. You could create a pooling system with an initial limit and an upper limit. When the extra space is available, the pool will delete existing objects in order to bring the pool down to the initial limit.

Of course, at that point you're pretty much re-creating standard garbage collection, and what would be the point? This is part of the reason why a more standard object pooling approach is valuable, because it is different from the default memory management approach. There is such a thing as over-engineering a solution. Basic object pooling is a fairly simple approach that has a proven record of success.
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 08:32:08 AM »

Well, player-created objects, such as e.g. bullets or constructions will get eventually destroyed either on their own or by other factors such as enemies. Then they return to pool. Plus immobile objects can be combined with other immobile meshes (such as when player has the ability to place turret on the wall and it stays there until destroyed) whihc would decrease amount of batches.

Anyway, I'd like to hear answers for those questions I've put on first page (last post of first page).

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 07:19:55 AM »

Well, player-created objects, such as e.g. bullets or constructions will get eventually destroyed either on their own or by other factors such as enemies. Then they return to pool. Plus immobile objects can be combined with other immobile meshes (such as when player has the ability to place turret on the wall and it stays there until destroyed) whihc would decrease amount of batches.

Anyway, I'd like to hear answers for those questions I've put on first page (last post of first page).

Heeeeeelloooooooo!!! I'm waiting for aaan aaansweeeer for thoooooseee...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:26:00 PM by darkhog » Logged

Be a computer virus!

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 09:56:49 AM »

I'm loving the tutorials/modules you're releasing on UnityPatterns Chevy. When I think about it, I could combine the animation scripting of Automotion with the pathfinding of TileEditor and the event scripting/editing of Signals, and have a pretty capable point-and-click game engine. It's one of the biggest strengths of Unity, being able to mix-and-match different smaller projects in order to achieve different results. Looking good!
FuzzySlippers
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2013, 05:58:20 PM »

Great work on that site. It is a lot more work to write articles than to make youtube videos but it is a much more sensible format for code tutorials and it is appreciated.

ChevyRay
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2013, 07:10:16 PM »

Nah it's like 10 times as much work for me to make videos than to write articles. I already recorded a few but they were so awful I deleted them, wasn't going to subject anybody to that.
Saishy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2013, 06:23:29 AM »

Nah it's like 10 times as much work for me to make videos than to write articles. I already recorded a few but they were so awful I deleted them, wasn't going to subject anybody to that.
Amen to that.

TinyBird Games  We make tiny games!
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2013, 07:37:23 AM »

I like written tutorials over video too. I can read at my own pace and listen to music while doing it.

Also great site ChevyRay, it's useful for me as I've just started learning Unity 3D. Smiley

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2013, 07:48:46 AM »

Yeah, site's great, but I've still got no answers for questions I've asked.

Be a computer virus!

Kiririn51
Level 0

I do pretty drawings

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2013, 01:52:15 PM »

Based Chevy, I just started to learn Unity and this will be incredibly useful as I like this kind of aesthetic for 2.5d games.

my devlog here is ded but my tumblr is not: blog.waifubartending.com
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic