Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 06:26:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCogmind (sci-fi robot-themed roguelike) - BETA RELEASED
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 71
Print
Author Topic: Cogmind (sci-fi robot-themed roguelike) - BETA RELEASED  (Read 236782 times)
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: September 30, 2014, 08:45:33 PM »

General progress update and overview of what we've got so far, comparing Cogmind the 7DRL to Cogmind the full game.

55,632 lines of code and nearly 1,800 hours later...

Yxven
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 30, 2014, 09:44:34 PM »

How are you tracking your time?
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: October 09, 2014, 12:41:16 AM »

My take on game AI for roguelikes, and a little about the AI in Cogmind: http://www.gridsagegames.com/blog/2014/10/player-always-right-existential-approach-game-ai/.

How are you tracking your time?
Sorry I missed this question--not sure why but I didn't get a post notification from TIGS :/

I use an OpenOffice spreadsheet, generally recording about a week's worth of data on paper first so it's always conveniently located on my desk, then enter it all at once as a way to review where the time was spent and make sure things are on the right track.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 09, 2014, 05:19:26 AM »

By the way, just a heads-up: you might want to update the FAQ. It contains some pretty outdated information
http://www.gridsagegames.com/cogmind/faq.html
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: October 09, 2014, 05:36:58 AM »

Does it? I was looking at it earlier today and didn't notice anything wrong. Do you mean the alpha release date? I've been shooting for Q4 2014 (December) until only a couple weeks ago when I made a decision that's going to drastically reduce what I can get done in November, so it's likely going to be at least a month later than planned (so... January?). Other than that I don't see what you might be referring to. A lack of info? Do you have an unanswered frequently asked question? =p

On that note, the reason I was looking at it earlier today was because I just finished building a new website for Cogmind Wink New FAQ, new layout, bells, whistles, etc. Not going to put it up until later this month though since I'll be on vacation soon. Tomorrow I'll be spending all day recording new gifs and screenshots to drop in where I have placeholders.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 09, 2014, 07:48:07 AM »

The sprites thing is a bit misleading, isn't it? I mean, I subscribed because of how you used ASCII art. Or are you saying that your engine fakes ASCII with sprites, but also supports a true terminal?
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: October 09, 2014, 03:21:52 PM »

Oh, that. Technically it's correct, although for the new FAQ it reads slightly differently to make it more clear: "No. The map will be displayed using pixel art sprites, though there will always be a full ASCII mode as well (highly recommended!)."

I think an ASCII map looks pretty nice, and fits the theme/design well, BUT most regular players, and even a portion of the core roguelike community, only play games with a tileset. So it makes sense to provide that as an option. The only difference this will make is that the map window will have the option of being shown as either sprites or ASCII, and these will not be what you normally think of as sprites--multicolor detailed images--they will be monochrome and at smaller sizes resemble simple "icons," similar to what I did for the 7DRL. Only this time I'll get someone who knows what they're doing to draw them--plan on finding an artist soon.

One dilemma is which mode should be the default? Unfortunately I believe that more people will want the sprites...

And maybe I should use the term "tileset" instead of sprites.

Thanks for bringing this up, since it is an important issue.

What do you think? (And anyone else who's listening, because this is a pretty important topic.)

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 10, 2014, 05:33:31 AM »

I dunno man, I think you should be proud of how gorgeous you make "pure" ASCII graphics look, but I'm obviously biased.
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: October 10, 2014, 05:37:06 AM »

i'm obsessed with pixel art and i hate the way ascii games look with a fucking passion for the most part.

there are currently no more than five exceptions.

candy box, candy box 2, a dark room, stone story, and this.

this looks amazing.

Krumbs
Level 1

Huun Huur Tu

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 10, 2014, 06:02:04 AM »

Imp. Terrain Scanner:

Bally hell thats good. I think this is the perfect balance of readability where its very graphically pleasing and you can actually see what's going on, but because of the ASCII its still vague enough for your imagination to fill in the blanks. Can't wait to see a trailer of some kind.

EDIT: On the subject of your sprite problem, I think the game should automatically start in ASCII and people can change to the tileset if they want. Its hardly a massive hassle for anyone wanting to play, and it is an ASCII roguelike after all, might as well have it as default.
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: October 10, 2014, 06:54:41 AM »

I dunno man, I think you should be proud of how gorgeous you make "pure" ASCII graphics look, but I'm obviously biased.

Bally hell thats good. I think this is the perfect balance of readability where its very graphically pleasing and you can actually see what's going on, but because of the ASCII its still vague enough for your imagination to fill in the blanks. Can't wait to see a trailer of some kind.

EDIT: On the subject of your sprite problem, I think the game should automatically start in ASCII and people can change to the tileset if they want. Its hardly a massive hassle for anyone wanting to play, and it is an ASCII roguelike after all, might as well have it as default.
Thanks for weighing in guys.

The new website will feature larger/longer gifs/gfycats, and of course since there is no tileset yet they will all be using the current graphics; along with its launch later this month I'll start showing the game to more players outside "dev communities" so I'll be paying attention to the feedback. I do recall back in early development that quite a few people mentioned the need for a tileset, but back then I had much less to show than I do now. So personally if it'll work I'm leaning towards sticking with ASCII as the default. It's my own preference, too, after all Wink. In any case both options will be available, though I believe the default setting is still quite important.

i'm obsessed with pixel art and i hate the way ascii games look with a fucking passion for the most part.

there are currently no more than five exceptions.

candy box, candy box 2, a dark room, stone story, and this.

this looks amazing.
"Cogmind: Converting more gamers every day" =p Seriously, I occasionally get to hear this and am quite glad for it. Trying to transcend boundaries here :D. Most ASCII games don't really embrace the aesthetic, using it purely because it's easy and straightforward. That is certainly one of its benefits, but apparently we can take that further. That it fits thematically as well helps a lot--despite the power and flexibility of the engine, I would have a hard time making an equally convincing fantasy game.

VampireSquid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 10, 2014, 08:08:23 PM »

I don't fully understand how the game works but what I have seen here looks very cool.  Keep it up.

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: October 30, 2014, 02:26:44 PM »

Cogmind has a new website! It took a good day just to gather all the media you see over there, which is a good summary of everything that's been shown on the blog over the past year. Most of the game's features are represented, and the new FAQ is home to a dedicated place to check on the game's state (as well as the future roadmap).

The main page:

Redesigned logo:

Today as part of the launch I posted an overview of the site as well as some blog analytics from its first year online.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 31, 2014, 01:16:45 AM »

Finally, a website as sexy as the gifs you've been posting here. The game deserves it!  Coffee
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: October 31, 2014, 03:22:44 AM »

Thank you Grin Now we finally have one go-to place for screenshots and gifs, which were previously scattered all over the place. I also took the opportunity to finally add the game to Indie DB (and copied the media there, too)--we'll see how well it does...

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: November 05, 2014, 03:27:25 PM »

[New blog post. I think the formatting and color look better on the blog itself, but for reader convenience (and the option to read it in dark on light) I'm going to start cross-posting posts in their entirety here.]

The design philosophy behind Cogmind emphasizes maximum immersion wherever possible. For this reason I'd like to avoid game-y interface elements--those which are not part of the game world itself but instead remove your mind from that world and remind you that it's a game. (A fact you're obviously unlikely to forget, but anything that breaks the illusion is still bad.)

As discussed earlier, we tucked the options and game menus away with the help and manual interface using the same animated style as the rest of the game to make the transition to "non-game-world space" a little less jarring. An options menu accessible from anywhere, plus mandatory permadeath (and no save menu--games aren't so long you might play multiple runs in parallel), mean we could almost do away with the title screen entirely.

I like how the the 7DRL has no title screen--immediately on opening the game you are dumped right into the action regardless of whether starting a new game or continuing an old one. So for a long while I've been operating under the assumption that the game may not even have a title screen, doing away with an unnecessary "gateway" into the game itself.

More recently I've reconsidered that direction, since even without any interactive functionality (we've now removed or relocated everything that would apply), a title screen does have other advantages. One of the most important is name recognition in various places the game may appear, e.g. screenshots, and more importantly YouTube LPs.

Plus it's an opportunity to have a cool-looking title logo.

And that's actually where the change in direction originated from. It started with a Twitter follower pointing out that the official Cogmind logo as seen on the new website doesn't reflect the art style of the game. It "needs the ASCII treatment."

Thus I began sketching an alternative design in REXPaint for whatever purpose:

First concept sketch evolution for an ASCII-fied Cogmind title logo.

As it started to look promising, I imagined how fun it would be to animate it and put it in the game. So of course I had to try Smiley

Flow-wise we already had an intro that plays when starting a new game, so the title was inserted before that and leads directly into it--the two work pretty well together since they share the same animated ASCII style. Both the title and intro are skipped completely if continuing a previous game.

Title Art Composition
When the title is shown, the goal is to minimize its "intrusive nature" and make it look like it belongs in the game world. This isn't too hard since everything uses the same ASCII animation engine, and in terms of composition you'll notice the title also uses the same style of line art used for items. (I still have yet to do a dedicated post showing off the different types of art in their final form, but some examples were previously shown here.)

I already liked the concepts, though the last iteration seemed a bit overdone, so I aimed to use something like the second to last one. First I redid some of the ASCII "circuitry" to rebalance the overall shape and flow of the title.

Rebalanced "ASCII circuitry" and some slight color adjustments.

The animation plan was to actively draw the background circuitry, then have the word appear on top of that. This means we'll also want to draw parts that are under the word itself, as they'll be showing before the word appears. So I split the art into two layers, one for the word itself, and another for everything behind it:

Title art separated into layers.

Minimalist is good, but I didn't think this would be enough substance for a fully animated title which could really use at least a tiny bit of buildup. What better than even more circuitry! So I drew a third layer under both of those:

Stacking three art layers. (The bottom layer is drawn in a single flat gray--no shading--because the shading will be applied during animation as necessary.)

This bottom layer should look good both by itself and when combined with either or both of the layers above it. This meant a lot of layer toggling during the editing process. The bottom layer is only used fleetingly, though, (and is not a part of the final appearance) so the attention to this kind of detail is mostly overkill.

The animation part was pretty easy, only requiring a handful of scripts. For the curious:

Title screen animation scripts.

The second half of the above scripts are used to animate the title itself; the first half actually animates the "Grid Sage Games presents" text which appears before it. (Yes, might as well put that in there since we have a title now.)

The bottom-most layer, and first to animate, is seeded with 20 randomly located emitters from which the ASCII lines are traced in gray along cardinal paths (i.e. no diagonal drawing). Half a second later 20 more emitters are created on the middle layer, which is traced in green (this one allows diagonal paths as well, to ensure quicker complete coverage). Another second layer the title flashes in with a special glitch effect, while at the same time the bottom layer flashes in its entirety for a moment before quickly fading out. See it below:

Cogmind title animation.

That's it, three layers of ASCII art imported from a REXPaint .xp file. Notice one key difference between the result of the animation and the art itself: The "COGMIND" lines are brighter and have a background color to them. Turns out that when I borrowed an existing script to draw that part of the title, its design happens to leave the background color behind. I liked the fact that it stands out more and also melds the letters with the background circuitry via the few half-cell blocks scattered around the edges. So I kept it that way.

A static shot of the final title appearance, in game.

There you have it, Cogmind's new "title screen." Conceptually it's still an out-of-game element, but at least it doesn't require interaction--the game automatically starts about two seconds after the animation is complete.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: November 05, 2014, 07:53:52 PM »

Dude ------ I LOVE IT.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 06, 2014, 12:08:41 AM »

Kiss
happymonster