Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 01:47:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesLooking for shmup recommendations
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Looking for shmup recommendations  (Read 10882 times)
heisenbergman
Level 2

LoGaP

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 08:56:01 PM »

^ ah, nice to hear a similar opinion. although I wouldn't call it a mess exactly. it just didn't grab me as much as some other shmups. I said that I might get flak for it because on the latest Top 25 Shmups of All Time on shmups.system11.org, Battle Garegga has been #1 for the past five years Tongue I'll definitely give it another try unlike, say, Warning Forever which I'm sure I don't like. But for now, I am disappointed.

Looking again at the list above just reminded me that another one I've been meaning to try is Armed Police Batrider. Hope that's a good one.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 04:01:02 AM »

The best indie shmups are:
-XOP
-Hydorah
-Akuchizoku

Hydorah has a difficulty curve problem, level 2 is too long, once you get past it, it becomes a lot better

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 06:40:47 AM »

The only one out of those I really don't like is Warning Forever. Its stages are just like a string of boss fights one after another and it gets bland really fast.
Warning Forever is a great game. If you somehow missed it: the Thing with it is that the next enemy's appearance depends on how you killed the last (pretty sure it's based on the order in which you destroy its parts), e.g. if you keep just shooting the front first you'll end up with a very vertical enemy.
And make sure you found the button for aiming freely.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Sharkoss
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2013, 07:13:03 AM »

^ ah, nice to hear a similar opinion. although I wouldn't call it a mess exactly. it just didn't grab me as much as some other shmups. I said that I might get flak for it because on the latest Top 25 Shmups of All Time on shmups.system11.org, Battle Garegga has been #1 for the past five years Tongue I'll definitely give it another try unlike, say, Warning Forever which I'm sure I don't like. But for now, I am disappointed.

Looking again at the list above just reminded me that another one I've been meaning to try is Armed Police Batrider. Hope that's a good one.

Oh, it's a mess.  If you're really curious there are some in-depth faqs that go into it.  The good people on system11 regrettably sometimes mistake obscurity and bizarre hidden counters for depth, even though the list is pretty reasonable otherwise.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 11:59:44 AM »

I really like Dragon Blaze (Arcade):

The scoring system is simple to understand but a lot of fun, and the game looks great, imo.

If you liked Dodonpachi, you might like Ketsui, too, since it's got a similar feel (it's by Cave) but a much more flexible scoring system:

There are actually a lot of quality shmups on Xbox and PS3/Vita, too. Guwange is on XBLA and it's an awesome and unique shmup (also by Cave). You can also emulate it on MAME, of course.

The two Treasure shmups, Ikaruga and Radiant Silvergun, are also on XBLA and are must plays:

If you have some money to spend, a lot of good disc-based vertical shmups are actually region free on 360:

- Mushihimesama Futari
- Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets
- Eschatos
- Probably more...

You can import them from Play Asia.

On PSN, I'd recommend the Gradius collection, which has Gradius I-IV, but also includes Gradius Gaiden, which never came out in the US as a standalone and is really really good if you like Gradius. It doesn't show up in the PS Vita store, but there is a way to make it (and a bunch of other "hidden" games work):

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57382128-1/psp-games-that-secretly-run-on-the-vita-all-you-need-is-a-ps3/

Gradius V (PS2) is supposed to be killer, too, but I haven't played it much (interestingly enough, it's developed by Treasure and not Konami).

And If you're a fan of Cave Story, you should try Guxt. It's a simple freeware shmup, but it's got that Pixel charm:

Finally, Racketboy has a nice primer on shmups if you're interested in the history of the genre:

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/shooters/shmups-101-a-beginners-guide-to-2d-shooters
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 12:07:18 PM by Derek » Logged
heisenbergman
Level 2

LoGaP

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 04:41:59 PM »

^ Those are some really appealing screenshots Derek, thanks! I'll be sure to get to most those games eventually, if I can. Dragon Blaze and Ketsui both look and sound especially interesting.

The only one out of those I really don't like is Warning Forever. Its stages are just like a string of boss fights one after another and it gets bland really fast.
Warning Forever is a great game. If you somehow missed it: the Thing with it is that the next enemy's appearance depends on how you killed the last (pretty sure it's based on the order in which you destroy its parts), e.g. if you keep just shooting the front first you'll end up with a very vertical enemy.
And make sure you found the button for aiming freely.
Oh, yeah, I didn't get that the next enemy's appearance depends on how you killed the last. But even then... that mechanic doesn't appeal to me the slightest bit. And actually, I don't quite like free aiming in shooters. I just want the shooting to be relatively unidirectional so that killing the enemies will depend on how I move the ship.
Nektonico
Level 2

Time traveller graffiti

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 07:27:09 PM »

Some random good ones off the top of my head.

The R-Type series (1 and 2 and 3 for arcade, and Super r-Type for the SNES). Classic series of side scrolling SHMUPs.

Sonic Wings (1 and 2 and 3 for arcade). A fun series of vertical scrolling SHMUPs.

The Aleste series of games (theres many in this series of games, i can vouch for having played Super Aleste for the SNES extensively back in the day, a very good game, and Aleste 1 and 2 are truly classic 8-bit SHMUPs).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpmEaffVnQI

Axelay (for the SNES). Very good one, alternates top down and side scrolling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIT03mDqX5Y

Zero Wing (for the Sega Genesis) is fun as well.  Smiley

Those are all retro SHMUPs, not the proper bullet hell modern day incarnations that are so popular nowadays.
Though if you like SHMUPS, you should to at least play a R-Type / Aleste / Gradius / Thunder Force / 1942 or 1943 / Darius / Raiden / Truxton.

Also, as far as indie goes, dont forget about Hydorah by Locomalito, a kind of homage to old school SHMUPs.
http://www.locomalito.com/hydorah.php
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S40sbLQj7yw

And for something different, give Raptor: Call of Shadows, and Tyrian a try. Good old pc SHMUPs from the DOS era, with an upgrade mechanic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYa2g9_5Ss4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQdu4NsWU4Y

And you might as well download a PC-ENGINE emulator while you are at it, some good SHMUPs in that platform.

Yeah, i know, none of the ones i mentioned are Doujin.

He was built by the worlds finest surgeons to drive the fastest car ever designed and nothing can stop him now. ಠ_ృ
“The greatest misfortune is when theory outstrips performance.” - Leonardo DaVinci
Capitalism and Death
Level 0

Drugs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 08:28:48 PM »

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2013, 09:02:03 PM »

Bangai-O Spirits is one I want to play
not really a shmup, more an action puzzle game. but yeah, it's very good.
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2013, 09:10:06 PM »

Oh, it's a mess.  If you're really curious there are some in-depth faqs that go into it.  The good people on system11 regrettably sometimes mistake obscurity and bizarre hidden counters for depth, even though the list is pretty reasonable otherwise.

so ok it's time to defend garegga because i think it's objectively one of the best games out there. let's not toss this one aside just yet!

but first let's make a couple blanket statements up front (to the haters) and just trust me
1) the rank system is opaque and that's ok. nobody was ever supposed to understand it down to the precise numbers. rather, the numbers are just necessary to create trends. i think the idea was that, since the game was designed for the arcade, people could get together and figure these trends out via experimentation. i personally think this is way past cool. you might not. but i don't think the game is at fault for being this way and not another way.
2) if you accidentally read 1) and don't know what it means then ignore it
3) fuck shmups forum

anyway why should i care about battle garegga? the #1 cool thing about battle garegga is that, in contrast to shooting games who only aspire to be about shooting or whatever, garegga has a single core focus that drives every aspect of its design. it knows what it wants to be. it has a reason to exist.

above all else, garegga is an exploration of player autonomy.

and this thesis resonates throughout the whole game. your powerup system is designed so that, with a bit of strategy, you can get to almost-max power by the end of the first stage. your bomb system is designed so that you can hoard them for defensive use or fire off quick blasts offensively. and your option system is designed to allow you to deftly send firepower to where you need it most. everything is permissible

nevertheless, while everything is permissible, everything has consequences. and this is where the "rank system" comes into play. for those who don't know, rank is what people call this game's dynamic difficulty system. and the best way to think about it is for every resource that you take advantage of, your opposition will take advantage of another of their resources in turn.

see, the rank system is crucial for giving all of these elements meaning. for example, take a game like dodonpachi. when a powerup appears, it's sort of a loaded proposition. you have no reason not to take the powerup. same with bombs. the ideal of using no bombs is set forth, and any deviation from this ideal is a result of human flaw.

but in garegga's world, when a powerup appears, you're forced to consider the consequences. do you take it right now, or wait to power up? the answer is largely situational, and almost never black-and-white. the consequences are presented, but it's up to the player to act in awareness of them. a mantra is suggested—take only what you need, make the most of what you're given—but it's up to the player to put it into action.

this is the soul of battle garegga, and it's why i strongly feel that it is worth playing by every student of game design.

(also: everything above is only the mechanical interpretation of the thesis. the way this thesis of autonomy actually plays out in the stage/boss design is even more incred. seriously)

oh and i'd also recommend batrider (it's basically an orgy in honor of player autonomy) and this lesser-known doujin called hellsinker which is a noble attempt to use the shmup fetish for systems to make a statement about that world and our world too. i'm not exactly sure what that statement is supposed to be though
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2013, 12:37:28 AM »

I'd recommend playing Battle Bakraid instead of Battle Garegga or at least play it first because it's easier, the bullets don't blend into the background and it has player ships out the arse but the downsides are the choons are less bangin' because there's less bass and it relies too much on suiciding if you want to chase those really high scores which some people don't like (I'm totally fine with that, Hitogata Happa was a part of my suggestions on the previous page and suiciding is that games main mechanic).
Polyphonic Entity
Level 0

Melting Brains With Sound Waves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2013, 05:59:17 PM »

Do you like classic games too? If so, you should check out Elemental Master for the Sega Genesis!

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2013, 07:44:14 PM »

Another one: Silpheed (Sega CD, no idea about the PS2 one)

heisenbergman
Level 2

LoGaP

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2013, 07:59:44 PM »

Just purchased Danmaku Unlimited 2 for iOS.

Might be the best game I've ever had on this device... and I've had a lot.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2013, 02:41:53 AM »

this is derail central, but since we're talking about sega magadrive, the best shmups on it are:

-steel empire
-aleste/MUSHA
-gynoug
-thunderforce IV

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2013, 04:57:05 PM »

Genetos is an excellent journey through different generations of shmups.  Brimming with charm and nostalgia, too.

KaleidoGames
Level 0

Making awesome games for real gamers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2013, 02:20:42 AM »

Well, we just finished Beekyr.

It's definitely a good shoot'em up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEK3DvcCcKE&feature=youtu.be

Wanna play it?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.kaleidogames.Beekyr

I'm sure it won't let you down! It has been polished for months to get the best experience possible!

Let me know if you like it. Hand Joystick Hand Any Key Hand Any Key

Take a look at:

Visit our site for more games:
KaleidoGames
Sharkoss
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2013, 09:01:25 AM »

Oh, it's a mess.  If you're really curious there are some in-depth faqs that go into it.  The good people on system11 regrettably sometimes mistake obscurity and bizarre hidden counters for depth, even though the list is pretty reasonable otherwise.

so ok it's time to defend garegga because i think it's objectively one of the best games out there. let's not toss this one aside just yet!

but first let's make a couple blanket statements up front (to the haters) and just trust me
1) the rank system is opaque and that's ok. nobody was ever supposed to understand it down to the precise numbers. rather, the numbers are just necessary to create trends. i think the idea was that, since the game was designed for the arcade, people could get together and figure these trends out via experimentation. i personally think this is way past cool. you might not. but i don't think the game is at fault for being this way and not another way.

Yagawa is on record as saying the game is like that to increase arcade revenue and that's all.  Possibly he was just being glib about it, but upon examination it's pretty clear the system is entirely consistent with his version.  It's a cute little scam that people tried to turn into something more because they don't like the idea that they got scammed, I guess.  This is how religions start.
Jarkko Vallius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2013, 09:38:07 AM »

I don't know much about genre but I had fun with Exp3d.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.breakingbyte.exp3d&hl=en

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2013, 07:36:22 PM »

this is derail central, but since we're talking about sega magadrive, the best shmups on it are:

-steel empire
-aleste/MUSHA
-gynoug
-thunderforce IV
Don't forget

(though that's an arcade port). It even has coop! (couldn't find a video in 2P mode sadly)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic