Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:17:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBetelgeuse
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Author Topic: Betelgeuse  (Read 76496 times)
premonster
« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2014, 09:45:19 AM »

please add shadows underneath the enemies/player?
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2014, 09:48:16 AM »

please add shadows underneath the enemies/player?

I'll add shadows after finish with tilesets for outside levels. We need a universal solution that will work well with all style tilesets.

oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »

I just saw your game play video, and it looks amazing ! The top down shooting frenzy in the intricate machine art feels spindled, would certainly love to try out a playable version.  Great work !

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2014, 05:21:55 PM »

Not sure that understand you correctly. Can you tell a little bit more or show an examples?
Ghosting is a slight delay in the screen, most emulators have it available as an option.

Re: the prime modulo thing: if your "normal" looped index is i and your number of sprites is n, you can stagger i through n by multiplying i by some prime larger than n, and taking the modulo of that number and n.

for example using 149 as the prime (fits in unsigned 8 bits, probably large enough)
Code:
int ix = (i * 149) % n;
This is similar to the process often used to store elements into a hash table.

It should reduce the "mexican wave" aspect of the flickering by making them blink out of order

Coupled with the AI actively trying to avoid flickering (which is a great idea btw), should improve the appearance of everything.

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: June 10, 2014, 05:31:36 AM »

I just saw your game play video, and it looks amazing ! The top down shooting frenzy in the intricate machine art feels spindled, would certainly love to try out a playable version.  Great work !

Thank you! We will release the demo in late summer and I hope it will meet all expectations.

Ghosting is a slight delay in the screen, most emulators have it available as an option.

We plan to release game on a cartridges, not sure there is hardware support for this.

Thank you for detailed reply, hope this helps. Still don't understand (because I'm just an artist), but I believe that the programmer will understand what you mean.

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2014, 03:03:07 PM »

'Ghosting' is a screen effect that is characteristic of old CRT/tube TVs and is pretty iconic.
In an NES game, it'd be done by the TV itself rather than in the game, but it'd be kind of neat to have the effect in the PC version too, if there is one.

I think that's what he means

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: June 12, 2014, 04:44:39 AM »

'Ghosting' is a screen effect that is characteristic of old CRT/tube TVs and is pretty iconic.
In an NES game, it'd be done by the TV itself rather than in the game, but it'd be kind of neat to have the effect in the PC version too, if there is one.

All I can answer that it was comments about NES game, not about PC game, which stylized under NES graphics style.
We have to use sprite flicker effect because metasprite of any character in game consists of two 8x8 px sprites; 2 sprites for player + 2 sprites for enemy + 1 sprite for bullet + 3 sprites for explosion = 8 sprite per line limit for NES hardware.
We don't focus on extended features of NES emulators becausewe want to release this game on standart NES cartridges (NROM-256, 32 Kb PRG ROM, 8 Kb CHR ROM ) without mappers and CHR RAM.

Following now! (better late than never) Looks really cool! Can't wait to see more!

Beer!

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: June 12, 2014, 05:47:01 PM »

The comment was assuming you're developing / screen capturing with an emulator Smiley old TVs had shitty response time and colour bleeding, and rapid flickering on them can create a partial transparency as opposed to just flickering the sprites.

I probably shouldn't have said "ghosting" for NES though as that implies response time more to with LCD of the of the GameBoy/GBC - "ghosting" on CRTS is more like this:

Which is also iconic and would be great to see emulated if there's a PC launch.

Either way, I was just commenting because it looks like the response time you're using is pretty instant, which makes the flickering more noticeable than it strictly might be on TVs commonly used with NES.

Admirable that you're planning to release on cart - will you do a bundled emulator+rom PC version as well?

For your explosions you _might_ be able to write them into the tilemap to save on sprites fwiw, but that depends how you're storing the level in memory. I know they did this for big bosses in gameboy games like nemesis and Chikyuu Kaihou Gun ZAS (especially look up that last one if you haven't already) - using it for tile aligned explosions would cut down the number of sprites eaten by effects.

Also you mention using 8x8 sprites - any reason for doing that over the 8x16 mode? looks like you'll be getting close to the 64 sprite limit with 8x8.

Snow
Level 0

experienced gamer

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2014, 10:18:25 AM »

Just want to say that this game looks eyeball exploding amazing.. (I can't see what I'm typing.. smoking eye sockets). Definitely following this game. I've just started learning making pixel art in the last year, so I can certainly appreciate how nice your graphics and gameplay are. Must have taken an intense amount of work so far.  Hand Thumbs Up Left

A pencil, blank paper and an empty room is all you need.
wzl
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2014, 10:19:02 AM »

Wow, been a fan of your art since i accidentally stumbled upon one of your images.
Now i find this, similarily by chance.
Looks great so far, followed :D

Long pork is people! wzl's burrow
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: September 03, 2014, 03:53:34 AM »

Start location and player's shuttle from Betelgeuse demo:

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: September 03, 2014, 05:24:47 AM »

Looks fantastic!

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: September 04, 2014, 06:01:04 AM »

Admirable that you're planning to release on cart - will you do a bundled emulator+rom PC version as well?
I don't know, NES development is stopped for a while, we must finsh PC version first.

Looks fantastic!

Thanks! c:

First Mission: Strange incident on satellite of Q8-RG74-S.
Concept of global map for BETELGEUSE demo:

x3 version.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 06:16:52 AM by 08--n7.r6-79.84 » Logged

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: September 04, 2014, 06:25:11 AM »

Do you mean he'll guide you in the laboratory or he will guide you to the laboratory? Probably want to clarify :^)

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: September 05, 2014, 02:08:21 AM »

Do you mean he'll guide you in the laboratory or he will guide you to the laboratory? Probably want to clarify :^)

My english is so bad that I'm not sure what exactly I mean. Evil What variant you like more?

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: September 05, 2014, 02:59:49 AM »

Nice to see some really colourful pixel art!

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: September 05, 2014, 03:49:44 AM »

well they mean different things - one is him guiding you once you're already there, the other one is him showing you the way there and probably leaving you to go inside yourself.

MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: September 05, 2014, 10:52:47 AM »

Betelgeuse is looking beautiful 08, I can easily see myself being lost in its world!

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: September 06, 2014, 12:32:18 AM »

Yes, looking very good Smiley
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: September 07, 2014, 12:16:48 AM »

well they mean different things - one is him guiding you once you're already there, the other one is him showing you the way there and probably leaving you to go inside yourself.

Now I understand. Then "to labaratory". Doctor Lee waiting player in Station Office and laboratory placed in deep underground, on one of the floors around a central shaft of Station.

I must say that before we releasing the demo, we will try to find a guy with a good knowledge of english or hire him, if we'll have a budget. c:

Betelgeuse is looking beautiful 08, I can easily see myself being lost in its world!

In game will be other worlds and player is free to choose where to go on his shuttle.  Wink

happymonsterCoffee

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic