Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:52:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSix Sides Of The World [PC]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Six Sides Of The World [PC]  (Read 5956 times)
Cyberon
Level 0

Be unstopable!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 01, 2013, 11:27:24 AM »

The game is now available on Steam. It has took more time than the expected, but I'm very happy with the result. Will be released on January 20, 2016  Smiley

http://store.steampowered.com/app/384480/

Hi!

This is a game I've been working since the end of 2012. It was first designed for the Unity contest "A flash in a flash" getting one of the four first prices, but I let it apart for a time. At the end of the 2012 I started to work again to make a full PC/MAC title. I've been working on it in my spare time (I've a full time job), creating new gameplay elements, improving graphics and game mechanics. At the current status most of gameplay elements and graphics are already finished. I'm now with the level creation tasks.

Brief
This is a 3D - Puzzle - Maze game, where we have to help the main character, Maigo, to find an item (now is a star, but I'm in the way to change it for something related with the game plot). The levels are build in cube-shaped planets, and we have to move between faces to solve the puzles and find the level item. This adds some extra dificulty because you can't see all the planet faces at the same time an you have to remember where to go.

Also, the levels can have more than one planet, and that creates more and interesting gameplay dynamics.

The level progression it's not linear. At the begining, you have to play in linear form, but after, you can select your destination because one puzzle can have more than one exit and you have to choose your destination, and also replay some levels in other way.

Here are some screenshots

Gameplay:

Gameplay from one the levels with two puzzles of different dificulty at the same time
Gameplay from the world 2-1 (june 2014)

Puzzle elements:
All the elements are configurable and have more than one behavior, so, when we combine them, we can create hundred of puzzles. These are some of the basic elements we use when building the puzzles, and, of course, there are some more elements and special level where the construction rules are bended.

• Planets: They are the key part of the puzzle, there can be more than one per level and the come in several sizes.
  • Teleports: Another key part of the puzzles, they allow us to teleport between faces and planets. They are linked to a teleport of the same color
  • MultiTeleport: An advanced version of the teleport, there can be more than two on the same level an they adds asymmetrical travel options, because if A is linked to B, B doesn't have to be linked to A, it can be linked to C.
  • Laser turrets: The main hazard of the game, if its deadly laser hits Maigo, it will be destroyed. These turrets can be programmed with several behaviors: to be fixed, to rotate or to make a ping pong rotation.
  • Activator Buttons: These buttons comes in four flavors.
    • One time activator: When you pass over this button it will be activated, and you can not switch it off.
    • Switch: Every time you pass over it, it changes its state.
    • Hold: This button is only activated if you are stopped over it.
    • Timed: When this button is activated, it is only active for a time.
    Plus, a puzzle element can have more than one button to be switched on, so all the buttons must be active at the same time.
  • Switch buttons: There are the exact same four types than the activator buttons, but these buttons change the behavior of the other elements, like changing the teleport colors and destinations, change the laser turrets behavior, barriers, mirrors...
  • Barriers: These barriers have three function modes (and also can be switched on/off)
    • Avoid the player and lasers to pass through them.
    • Avoid the player to pass, and let the laser pass.
    • Avoid the lasers to pass, and let the player pass.
  • Mirrors: They rebound the lasers. And can be rotated and hided inside the floor.
  • Laser-powered activators: They function like the activator buttons, but to be activated, they must be hited by a laser.
  • Laser-powered switches: They function like the swtich buttons and must be hited by a laser.

Worlds and levels:
Each of what we call "Worlds" are really Solar Systems, each one with a bunch of planets orbiting around them. These planets are the puzzles of our game. Each solar system has his own star types and even their level can have some special game mechanics if they are in some of the special worlds.

Controls
The game is designed to be used with the mouse using just the left button, with allow the player to select the main character's destination and, when hold, used to rotate the camera

More Info:

All feedback is well received. I hope you like it.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 09:39:49 AM by Cyberon » Logged

Conchobhar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 02:54:26 PM »

Well, I'm a Mac user, and I like puzzle games. Plus the graphics look gorgeous. So I'm certainly going to keep an eye on this.

Check out my other blog: connorsesarts.tumblr.com

and my puzzlescript prototypes: connorspuzzles.tumblr.com
Cyberon
Level 0

Be unstopable!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 02:03:23 PM »

The last days I've been working on a new environment set: Neon planets. I think I'm already done with them. Just one more environment remains, and I've also have to test a black & white one I build recently.

I think it remembers Tron Legacy.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 02:44:23 PM by Cyberon » Logged

karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 02:12:28 PM »

This looks totally amazing!

P.S. some screenshots remembers Mario Galaxy  Beer!
Cyberon
Level 0

Be unstopable!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 02:33:54 PM »

Thanks!

And, yes, I think it reminds to Mario Galaxy and also to Ilo Milo, the core gameplay mechanic can be described as a mix between those two games.

Cyberon
Level 0

Be unstopable!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 01:55:48 PM »

These days I've been working on some spherical planets (yes! There will be spherical planets on a game about cube-shaped ones), at least for decoration. These planets will help me to explain more about the game plot while playing.

I've also created some planetary rings with a custom shader to allow them to appear like a real dust ring. I'm using a tiled noise texture (grey + alpha) to simulate dust (so, when you are near the ring you can see samll dots), and then I mix it with a greyscale mask to give it the ring appearance. It also works fine when doing the lightmapping, because it can projects shadows over the planet, like a real one.

See you soon!

Cyberon
Level 0

Be unstopable!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 11:38:58 AM »

Today I won't show nothing about the Six Sides Of The World, but I want to announce you the collaboration of Carlos Viola as the game soundtrack composer.

He's a friend of mine, an indie musician with whom I've also worked on other projects, like Rotoro'scope: The Secret of the Endless Energy and The Pilgrim's Codex. He is also the composer of the pixelated adventure The Last Door. I hope you like the new soundtrack he will compose (because the music you've heard until now comes from stock music sites).

If you want to know more about his work, you can visit his pesonal site.

See you soon!

Cyberon
Level 0

Be unstopable!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 01:31:46 AM »

This week I've finished the last environment set, about unfinished planets Cheesy, reaching an important milestone on the development. There are six environments at all, but there is one I won't show because I'm saving it for the game.

Here is the image.

Now it's time to write and repair some code to make the game work fine.

See you soon.

Cyberon
Level 0

Be unstopable!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 02:35:40 AM »

At least I've found the way to remove the stars from the game, changing the level objetive to one more sci-fi related: Now the objective is to find a crystal which opens a wormhole to the next level.

I'm still changing the code, but I also need a way to allow players to select their next level. I've thought in something like this:

Making the level selection as a bunch of different planetary systems. Do you think it's a good idea?

Cyberon
Level 0

Be unstopable!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 06:39:47 AM »

Just finished the world/level selection screens and added some world selection buttons and gui components.

I've also worked on:

• The interface, tweaking the menu appeareance,adding a new mouse cursor when rotating the camera and changing some menu screens to allow you to jump to the levels selection screens and main menu
  • The game camera, upgrading the zoom code to make smooth transitions
  • I've updated the level progression code to carry you to the map, instead to one especiffic level

LogicBugs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 05:40:43 AM »

Your art looks amazing, really good look.  Keep it up.

I am curious how you generated the sun with the little fire flames flying off- was that hand drawn?  Pretty cool
Cyberon
Level 0

Be unstopable!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 11:10:18 AM »

Hi! Thanks for the comments! I'm working hard on it!

About the sun. First, here is a capture of the sun (in-editor view), to illustrate the explanation.

As you can see, the main model is a 3D Sphere with an animated shader to make it look more dynamic (1).

I've also added some billboard planes with a custom texture and transparency to make the flames. They also rotate towards the camera view axis to simulate an active flame (2).

At last, and I think in your question do you refer to them, the mass ejection flames (3). They are  cylinders without caps, sited in some random positions and orientations, decorated with a semitransparent shader with a transparent texture to simulate the flares. Also, the shader has the uv's animated (just in one of the two directions) to perform a slow movement and simulate the continuous mass ejection from the solar crown.

I hope this respense was useful to you.

Cyberon
Level 0

Be unstopable!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 04:20:56 PM »

I haven't update for two months, but I've been working hard to complete all the gameplay elements, and also, I've started to prepare the content I want to show when Il put the game on the Steam Greenlight voting zone.

This is one of the new levels I'm working on. It features some of the new elements I've been working in. A pair of satellites with lights.

This planet is too far away from any star, so it doesn't receive light of any kind, and the player has to use these satellites to illuminate the puzle and find the right path to the exit. The player can swtich them on/off and also modify their orbital position.

Cyberon
Level 0

Be unstopable!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 07:11:03 AM »

This week I've been working on a level which I'll show on the next game video. It features lots of the advanced gameplay elements, like the use of several planets, and the power to manipulate them (you can rotate the planets and change it's orbital position, so the puzzle can be more interesting). I've also tried to use a pair of satellites with mirrors to rebound the laser from one turret on one side, to the opposite face and use it to activate a laser receiver switch.

On the graphic side, I've trying to achieve a cold atmosphere even when we are on a binary solar system with a big/giant blue star and a dwarf white one.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 08:15:43 AM by Cyberon » Logged

Cyberon
Level 0

Be unstopable!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 05:08:09 AM »

Working on new levels, and even new gameplay elements I thought I did'nt need. This is one of the latest worlds.

Cyberon
Level 0

Be unstopable!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 02:46:29 PM »

Hi!

Today, the game has been submitted to Steam GreenLight. If you like the game, we we'll very grateful if you give us your support.

This is the entry page

Thanks!

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 02:07:05 PM »

Very good progression here, no doubt the game will make it soon on Greenlight.  Blink

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
Cyberon
Level 0

Be unstopable!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 12:39:38 PM »

Three months has passed since we started the GreenLight campaign of Six Sides of the World. We still have not been approved, but the game is receiving votes day by day.

Since then we've been working on the creation of the game levels, fixing bugs and preparing the game for some contests, starting with IndieCade.

At this time the game is not completed, lots of levels have to be created and,  also, the game still needs polishing, some little details, and bug fixing, but is on a really good playable state, with twenty levels and two hours of complete gameplay from the beginning.

We've been testing the game progression with some players, and  that helped us to fix some bugs, polish some important details, and rethink some puzzles, just because they could break them or discovered some errors on them. But, the most important thing is that they had a lot of fun with the game, even when they've not listened to the incredible music that Carlos Viola is composing. We've added  the music a couple of days ago.

So, we've now enter the IndieCade contest. We know the competition will be extremely hard, but we're happy about how the game is going. Maybe we cannot even reach a finalist nomination, but we'll be honored if we can get one.

During the development of  the game some of the previous concept levels have been changed or even discarded because they didn't fit on the real game progression.

Here is a

showing the gameplay from one of the new levels from world 2.

This video contains a little surprise. As you can see, this level has two exits, why? Because we've created a non linear gameplay experience. Some levels have more than one exit. Some exits are harder to reach than others. So, the easy ones carry the player to the standard game progression line, with easiest levels to play, which allow him to reach the end of the game without problems. But, for advanced and experienced players, and those who want a deeper and harder experience, the hard exits leads them to harder, more complex, even spacial levels, rewarding them for their effort.

This progression makes the game suitable and enjoyable by most players, giving them what they really want from the game: Just complete going straightforward to the end, or have the chance to explore every corner of the levels, study the complex puzzles that allow them to find a exit to the optional and harder puzzles and complete all the challenges of the game.

Now is time to keep working on Six Sides. We hope to post news soon!

And rememeber Six Sides of the World is still on Steam Grenlight waiting for your votes.

Cyberon
Level 0

Be unstopable!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 02:07:32 AM »

This is one of the latest levels I've built. Instead of playing on the outer faces of the planet, the player has to play on the inside. This design is made to create a different user experience, using a simple premise: The levels that are near a singularity (a black hole) are "singular".

The levels on the black hole system are special levels, more difficult to reach, but more rewarding to the players, allowing them to confront harder challenges or discover innovative ways to play the game.

Cyberon
Level 0

Be unstopable!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2014, 04:21:06 AM »

One of the game mechanics implies the movement of water masses on the planet, even between faces or even planets. It's a standard platformer game mechanic, but it gains a new dimension when it is applied to faces and planets.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic