Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 02:37:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsStrawn (Pre-Alpha)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Strawn (Pre-Alpha)  (Read 2318 times)
Joist
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2013, 09:43:26 AM »

Strawn aims to be a sandbox fantasy rpg with emphasis on organic npc interactions.

What it is

Essentially it's a little procedural continent with various realms and holy orders vying for favor from their own gods, creating animosity between everyone. You play a single character and can do what you like. Help a specific realm to power, topple kings, wipe out races or just try to make bank.

That sounds insane, no one man could make that

I disagree. It is a lot but by starting small and working up I think it's doable. By giving each NPC a set of personality traits, a job and a long term goal I can simulate their decision making very quickly. Events will trigger for them randomly over time based on their place in society and their goal, their personality and religion will determine how they choose to act within those events. Anything happening away from the player like skirmishes and assassinations will be decided on weighted dice rolls, the weights determined by the stats and traits of the people involved.

To begin with the player will be forced into the role of "Realm Hero", a jack of all trades person who the ruler uses to deal with a lot of varying situations.

Roadmap

Done:
Chunk Streaming
Prototype Animations
Prototype Models
Prototype Collision
Prototype Hittests

Very Soon (This week):
Simulated Settlements without events
Prototype AI
Prototype Combat

Soon:
Events for simulated settlements (Tree spirits trying to expand forest into farms, mine accidentally knocked a wall into ancient burial tomb, etc)
Simulated towns
Events for simulated towns
Better combat
A simulated realm (capital is a town with a castle and standing army)
Events for a simulated realm

Later:
Simulated realms
Inter-realm events

Way later:
Good art
A 3d landscape

Dev Albums

Week 2
Week 3

Come chat to me on twitter or IRC
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 07:28:51 PM by Joist » Logged
Joist
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 02:32:05 PM »

Got A* working

I'd like to set up a navmesh eventually but this'll do for now Smiley
LakeWithoutWater
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 02:43:36 PM »

I'm quite new to this forum so forgive me if I say something wrong Azn, Anyway.

I really dig this idea! I would love to see this game get successful If you still are on this game and get a Closed Beta, I would LOVE to be the first Beta Tester! Also the Cartoon Style you're heading for is really nice, clean, and sharp!

I also have a question, I know since I'm not good with any programming/modeling but I would love to help with this project .. I could do some sketches and such.. maybe be your "Idea Man" I'm brilliant with ideas!

If you would like an "Idea Guy" or someone who could possibly LEARN to 3D model (I could sketch up some Weapons, monsters and such) I would LOVE to help with ideas, and creations!

Contact me through Email to give me as much detail as possible if you think this is a good idea or not! I would really love your opinion =)

My email: [email protected]

Thanks for Reading!
  ~ Lake
OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 04:22:25 PM »

I'm loving it so far, the idea seems pretty neat - and I love the graphical style. Any chance of a quick video (or GIF)? Be great to see how the game "feels".

Joist
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 04:03:58 AM »

@LakeWithoutWater

Sorry mate, I'm my ideas man Tongue I have a good idea where I want this to go and the steps I need to take to get there.

I'm loving it so far, the idea seems pretty neat - and I love the graphical style. Any chance of a quick video (or GIF)? Be great to see how the game "feels".

At the moment the game "feels" quite empty for a whole bunch of reasons, which I hope to fix in the next week. The main problems are no head bobbing (gliding everywhere is *so* not immersive), when you hit something with a sword the sword doesn't rebound, the thing you hit doesn't show any sign it's been hit, no restrictions on movement while animating (sprinting around while blocking or spinning on the spot at high speed while slashing makes the combat feel empty).

With that in mind here's a development build but I'd ask you to reserve judgement for a while. Linky (it's a cross platform jar)
LakeWithoutWater
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 05:39:29 AM »

Okay haha! Atleast I tried Smiley

But yeah I really would love to see this game be finished and playable, Like I said if you need a Tester I'm here just PM me lol.

Edit: Is there going to be dungeons? I think that would add a nice twist to this style of game?
Joist
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 06:28:12 AM »

Okay haha! Atleast I tried Smiley

But yeah I really would love to see this game be finished and playable, Like I said if you need a Tester I'm here just PM me lol.

Edit: Is there going to be dungeons? I think that would add a nice twist to this style of game?

I'll be pretty open about development, probably going to go with a fairly current demo + alpha buy in. If I manage to scrape together enough money for living expenses I can work full time otherwise I'll still work on it but progress will be slower.

Dungeons are planned, but aren't necessarily core gameplay so I won't be implementing them just yet, probably after I get the NPC system working to my liking. Atm I'll be focusing on overworld locations instead of specific dungeons.

Yay, pathing works.
LakeWithoutWater
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 08:25:45 AM »

[/quote]
Dungeons are planned, but aren't necessarily core gameplay so I won't be implementing them just yet, probably after I get the NPC system working to my liking. Atm I'll be focusing on overworld locations instead of specific dungeons.
[/quote]

Ah okay that is good to hear and hopefully all goes well for you! Smiley

for the "overworld locations" In my head I'm thinking boss locations, towns, etc.., Which I think is what you meant? If I could give an idea for an overworld location I would say somewhere in the world add a Medieval town/castle with Shops, Hotels/Motels (To Sleep? If you add that haha), Pirate Ships (travailing maybe?), and so forth? (If used could I have a little credit Grin?)

I also would love to know:
1) If this game is going to have "Easter Eggs" and/or References to other games?
2) Is this game going to be ONLY Singleplayer? Or are you planning to move into Multiplayer once all bugs and such are out?
3) How much will the game be for Alpha, Beta, and/or Release?

Thanks for taking time to reply back to me back and forth, Highly appreciate it!

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 09:51:57 AM »

@LakeWithoutWater

Sorry mate, I'm my ideas man Tongue I have a good idea where I want this to go and the steps I need to take to get there.

At the moment the game "feels" quite empty for a whole bunch of reasons, which I hope to fix in the next week. The main problems are no head bobbing (gliding everywhere is *so* not immersive), when you hit something with a sword the sword doesn't rebound, the thing you hit doesn't show any sign it's been hit, no restrictions on movement while animating (sprinting around while blocking or spinning on the spot at high speed while slashing makes the combat feel empty).

With that in mind here's a development build but I'd ask you to reserve judgement for a while. Linky (it's a cross platform jar)

No worries, I understand as a developer myself. Still though, it's pretty sweet even in its early stages. I imagine it'd absolutely rock with that juicyness from the head bobbing and sword swinging. Going to be following this project for sure!

Joist
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 06:45:53 PM »

* snip *

1) If this game is going to have "Easter Eggs" and/or References to other games?
2) Is this game going to be ONLY Singleplayer? Or are you planning to move into Multiplayer once all bugs and such are out?
3) How much will the game be for Alpha, Beta, and/or Release?

Yep, that's exactly what I meant by overworld locations. Some will be significant locations like bosses, towns, roads, farms etc and some will be small, semi-permanent locations like hunter's camps, wolf packs, bandit roadblocks. I want to avoid the seas entirely for now, at the moment they're treated like a border.

There will be sleeping though not too much of it, it'll allow the game to catch up on simulations it needs to perform without pegging the CPU during regular gameplay.

It might have easter eggs but I'll be focusing on my own content for now. It'll be balanced for single-player but multi-player is a possibility if enough people want it. Not sure of the pricing yet, it'll probably stay in alpha for a good long while, while content is created though.

No worries, I understand as a developer myself. Still though, it's pretty sweet even in its early stages. I imagine it'd absolutely rock with that juicyness from the head bobbing and sword swinging. Going to be following this project for sure!

Played with head bob, it's hard to figure out a good speed/value.

Also improved the pathfinding so that AI can path between chunks as well as within chunks, allowing them to find their way to almost anything on the map. It's hard to take a screenshot of that though Tongue
Suedeash
Level 0

That guy.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 09:54:50 AM »

Loving the art-style. You've definitely got my attention now. Any idea how long it'll take to get an initial build out?
Suedeash
Level 0

That guy.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 09:08:20 AM »

Loving the art-style. You've definitely got my attention now. Any idea how long it'll take to get an initial build out?
I felt inclined to make a video, so here it is:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic