Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1025622 Posts in 41101 Topics- by 32706 Members - Latest Member: Jimanzium

July 22, 2014, 03:36:58 PM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsGuild of Dungeoneering
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: Guild of Dungeoneering  (Read 25303 times)
gambrinous
Level 3

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 06, 2013, 10:18:59 AM »

Guild of Dungeoneering
"Recruit adventurers to explore dungeons for the glory of your Guild. Build the dungeon room by room, fill it with monsters, traps and treasure .. and hope your dungeoneers have what it takes to return victorious!"

A dungeon exploration game where you don't get to control the adventurer. Instead you lay out the dungeon one room at a time (including treasure & monsters) and he proceeds according to his AI. You want him to explore, level up, find treasures and ultimately survive - but you don't get to directly control him.

Playable link & pre-orders:
Guild of Dungeoneering
(some handy instructions here)

Greenlight - help me onto steam!
--> Greenlight <--

Platforms:
At launch I intend to have a downloadable version for windows, mac (and hopefully linux), plus a web-playable free demo (flash). If the game turns out well I'll also publish it for ipad/android sometime after that. The game is built with AS3 and Flixel, and packaged into applications via AIR. The source for the alpha is here: https://github.com/clarkin/Dungeoneering

Artist:
I'm working with a talented fellow called Fred Mangan for all the artwork.

Press:
  • A very in depth interview with me about the game - ErraticGamer

Trailer:

Gameplay Video (15 min w/ commentary):

Latest screenshots:

How it looks in animated gif form

TODO list:
- Dungeon goals. Starting a dungeon run will have a particular goal (eg find and kill boss monster X). Achieving that wins the dungeon run.
- Actual RPG elements (hero & monster stats, equipment)
- Hero levelling up & choosing a skill or perks
- Some sort of battle system (automated) using the stats & equipment above
- Better Hero AI. He should have some sort of goal (eg explore, escape). He should look further than one room ahead. He should show why he's picking a direction to you.
- More cards, more types of card in each deck. Eg in SEEK there will be random events related to exploration. Event style cards in all decks that have a random chance of X or Y (example, meet an NPC, chance of being helped or fighting them)
- An actual explanation of what you are meant to be doing (or better still, make it obvious)
- Hero AI personality, thinking of doing some fun stuff here like your hero randomly hates all rats and goes out of his way to hunt them. This kind of trait would be randomly generated when you get a new hero.
- Replace the rest of the placeholder art
- A strategic layer for in between dungeon exploration sessions (ie the Guild). Here you can recruit adventurers and choose which dungeon to tackle next.

Keep in touch
If you like what you see subscribe to this devlog or like the game's facebook page. You can also reach me on twitter: @gambrinous. I would love feedback or suggestions!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:05:32 AM by gambrinous » Logged

gambrinous
Level 3

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 11:16:27 AM »

Update: Oct 6th.
Started with my Dungeon Delver game as a base and added a hero sprite who moved around as you explored.

Here's a work in progress shot of the hero added to the dungeon delver tile-laying framework.

(art is placeholder)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 11:28:36 AM by gambrinous » Logged

gambrinous
Level 3

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 11:28:18 AM »

Update: October 13th

Today I broke away from the tile-laying system in Dungeon Delver, instead giving you a set of cards at the start of each turn. You will use these cards to place rooms, monsters, weapons and treasure in the dungeon.

I then added icons to the cards where appropriate and made it possible to click them and then place them in the dungeon.

Finally I made the hero move to a new valid space once per turn (once you finish laying down all your cards). He then fights any monsters and grabs any treasures that are in that space..

If you want to try out this game you can do so right here:
--> Guild of Dungeoneering <--

Obviously this is very early so expect some bugs. If you get to a point where you can't play all your cards (eg the bug with giving you rooms that don't fit your current map) you can hit 'x' to discard your hand (this won't be a feature in the finished version!). All feedback is welcome!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 04:19:33 AM by gambrinous » Logged

Orymus
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 11:45:58 AM »

subscribing to this devlog!

Cunnah
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 01:13:53 AM »

I love this has a similar mechanic to board-games I like to play. For future ideas these games work well for a competitive multi-player. I don't know if your a fan of munchkin but lots of games allow the use of modifiers on cards to make things easier or more... interesting.

Check out ADVENTURE! Dev blog, or my forum blog.
gambrinous
Level 3

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 01:21:43 AM »

That's a really good idea actually. I'm just at the stage now (barely playable prototype) where I need to quickly refine this to 'find the fun'. In particular I need more interesting decisions - especially since I'm already taking away one of the biggest ones (hero movement). If this was multiplayer that would be a fantastic way to achieve it. You could lay down nasty monsters on the same tile as where they put some fancy treasure they wanted their hero to get etc.

For simplicity I think I want to avoid multiplayer (I am trying to finish this in October), but maybe I can do something along those lines. Eg, a rival guild that's also laying down tiles and has their own hero?

Cunnah
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 01:37:50 AM »

Sounds good. I was suggesting if you wanted to make more out of this. You could implement it by giving an ai a deck of cards and say they draw half as many as the player does. They play a card when it is best to muck your game up (perhaps and a random timer so they just don't constantly ruin your day). For example player needs to level up places a monster the a.i. plays a buff monster etc... Even better to give it that board game feel perhaps personify the ai and give an indication (a smiling face?) if they have a particularly evil card in their hand... I think I am more re-counting my gaming nights more than anything else. Just placing the tiles looks like fun so just keep doing what you doing!

Check out ADVENTURE! Dev blog, or my forum blog.
Zace66
Manbaby

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 10:54:25 AM »

I love it.
I must admit I missed pressing X to clear hand... i must try that.
Is there a way to rotate the pieces?
It would be more interesting to have more pieces than cards though as I always end up putting the naff card in the space they just came from.
Cant wait to see what happens next.
gambrinous
Level 3

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 10:46:25 AM »

Updated the playable version to fix the small bug where you could get room/corridor options that didn't fit anywhere on your current map.

I'll be working on this a lot tomorrow so expect updates!

Orymus
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 04:47:13 PM »

Played this briefly.
I like the idea, however, the algorithm currently returns way too many ways not to be able to play beyond just a few turns... the end-result is that its hard to see how everything comes together.

gambrinous
Level 3

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 06:06:10 AM »

Thanks for trying it Orymus. I agree it's very rough right now. Hopefully it will come together in the next couple of weeks.

If anyone is interested in the sourcecode, it's all right here:
https://github.com/clarkin/Dungeoneering

Built with AS3 + Flixel

Orymus
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 06:26:21 AM »

Not sure what your development priorities are in terms of getting this done, but I just wanted to point out that I feel there's a lot of un-seen quality in the product this far, hence why I underlined the importance of focusing on the 'tile' algorithm (determining which corridor pieces to give is the most crucial).

Keep up the good work!

gambrinous
Level 3

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 12:50:31 PM »

It's got a lot more character now that the hero talks about what he's doing:

gambrinous
Level 3

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 12:55:24 PM »

I have on my todo list to replace the placeholder art. I just want to talk about that for a minute. I'm using these room/corridor tiles with permission, but only as long as the project is non commercial. I'm also using pixelart sprites for hero/monsters/items from this tigsource assemblee entry, and again they are for noncommercial use. Everything else I've just hacked together myself.

I'm going to revisit this later in the project, and either replace things or get permission to use them commercially.

gambrinous
Level 3

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 02:24:09 PM »

Update: Oct 20th

Ok got a lot of things done today.
- Speech bubbles when the hero is thinking
- Light hero AI. (only considers rooms right next to him right now)
- More cards. Just some more monsters/weapons/etc. Could go crazy here but need to think of my art requirements at some point (see post above)
- Better placing limitations. Now it highlights only viable spots. Auto-discards your hand and ends your turn if you pick an unplaceable card (will improve on this later).

--> Try it here (flash) <--
Feedback very much welcomed!

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 04:19:50 AM by gambrinous » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic