Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:06:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRush to Adventure
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Rush to Adventure  (Read 12076 times)
Digital Awakening
Level 0

Developer

View Profile WWW
« on: October 17, 2013, 01:03:25 PM »

Rush to Adventure is a retro style game inspired by old 8-bit Nintendo classics. You arrive on an island, only to discover it is almost overrun by monsters. Assist the islanders, level up your hero, find new weapons and uncover the secrets of the island. Can you rid the island of its curse?

This alpha release contains about 20-30 minutes of content but offers a lot of replayability. Containing 10 short, action packed levels and 4 difficulties. You are also scored and ranked at the end of each level. Trying to S-rank every level is quite a challenge. Play on insane difficulty at your own risk.

"The feeling of running through a level, nailing every hit, getting perfect jumps, and navigating it perfectly. It becomes a dance. I really, really enjoy that. It's quite a hard thing to achieve in game design. You've done it, and I love it. Can't get enough of this game." @greenlig

For downloads, screeshots and more movies visit: digitalawakening.se

« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 12:32:41 PM by Digital Awakening » Logged

Follow me on Twitter @M_Esko
Ancient Account
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 01:38:45 AM »

Looks very interesting...
Trying it now!

Edit: This game is fun! Anybody who sees this, must try this. Grin
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 02:44:07 AM by Blaze06h » Logged
Digital Awakening
Level 0

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 03:41:47 AM »

Thanks, much appreciated Smiley

Majestic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 04:36:47 AM »

- Initially I didn't understand the icons M I T at the bottom of the main menu screen. Probably should explain what those are at some point or spell them out at the beginning of the game.

- Might want to put the jump key somewhere on the left to make it easier for the player. My hands felt cramped moving with the arrow keys then trying to jump with the enter key right above it.

- The exhausted counter is nice

- I like how you give instructions with the signposts, thats a good touch to give players an idea of whats going on and what to do

Overall a nice solid game. Simple and adventurous. I didn't expect to play for so long lol

www.soundcloud.com/majestic8390 - My game music portfolio
For custom game music tailored for your project contact me majestic8390[at]gmail[dot]com
Ancient Account
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 06:44:36 AM »

- Initially I didn't understand the icons M I T at the bottom of the main menu screen. Probably should explain what those are at some point or spell them out at the beginning of the game.

- Might want to put the jump key somewhere on the left to make it easier for the player. My hands felt cramped moving with the arrow keys then trying to jump with the enter key right above it.

- I like how you give instructions with the signposts, thats a good touch to give players an idea of whats going on and what to do

Overall a nice solid game. Simple and adventurous. I didn't expect to play for so long lol
1. M for Map, I for Inventory and T for Time. I guessed them. Press the button M, I, T for opening the respective menu.
2. You can change the controls in the option menu(Esc to open). I have made them:
Up = Up arrow
Down = Down arrow
Left = left arrow
Right = right arrow
Jump = Z
Attack = X
Special = C
Menu = Esc

Hope that helps! Smiley
Digital Awakening
Level 0

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 08:54:03 AM »

Thanks for the feedback Smiley

As Blaze06h says the buttons are for Map, Inventory and Time. There's also D for changing the difficulty. BTW, your progress is saved separately for each difficulty. I've been thinking about unlocking these buttons one by one as you play. Or at least have signs for them. But with only 4 map screens for now I don't want to spam the player with more signs. You will be able to configure these later.

As long as you don't connect a controller, up also works for jumping. I only use Enter to confirm. I guess I could have Enter always be confirm and have a different jump button. And as Blaze06h says you can configure the keys as you like in the Options.

Digital Awakening
Level 0

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 08:19:45 AM »

Both download links have now been updated. The new versions have 3 bugfixes:

1. The Broad Sword is now properly read from the save file. Previously it would disappear from the inventory after restarting the game. If it's equipped you can still use it but it can no longer be selected. If you have bought it already you need to delete the save file (from the options menu) and start the game over.

2. On Insane, you can now attack immediately when the hero turns unexhausted.

3. If you hit menu when you land into water etc. and exit back to the World Map. The game no longer transports you to where you were last time when playing the level again.

Some more feedback would be much appreciated Smiley

Now I'm off to try to S-rank every level on Insane!

Ancient Account
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 09:53:17 AM »

Update! YAY!
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 09:24:24 AM »

Very nice!

The one thing that annoyed be at first is the huge window with big pixels. I actually had to move back with my stool to look at it properly. An option to lower the resolution would be nice.

Also, it's not immediately obvious that you need to go out the right side. Some sort of exit or stage goal to get to could be added.

Other than that, very nice so far! Played it to the alpha end. I expect some different challenges later on?
Ancient Account
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 06:21:09 AM »

Also, it's not immediately obvious that you need to go out the right side. Some sort of exit or stage goal to get to could be added.
In old platformers, the exit was usually at the right side (See: Duke Nukem 2 - it was a platformer, not an FPS game like it's successor 'Duke Nukem Forever').

Though, nowadays games don't work like that, so it's pretty hard to guess.
I like this type of exit, but I think, if there are some background structures that hints that it's exit, it would be great!
Digital Awakening
Level 0

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 04:51:15 AM »

Very nice!
Thank you Smiley

The one thing that annoyed be at first is the huge window with big pixels. I actually had to move back with my stool to look at it properly. An option to lower the resolution would be nice.
I guess it takes a bit getting used to. You can change the resolution in the setup file, just open it in Notepad etc. I plan to add options for this in the future.

I thought that would be obvious. An arrow sign wouldn't be hard to add. Could even be automatically placed with code.

Other than that, very nice so far! Played it to the alpha end. I expect some different challenges later on?
I hope you got through the tower?  This is still pre-alpha. There is loads to come in terms of content. For example: If you look at the inventory, there will be a total of 14 weapons. Only 4 in this version. I define alpha as most functions complete and then beta will be a focus on content.

Digital Awakening
Level 0

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 02:14:55 PM »

There's an article up on Indie Games Smiley

S16VATR
Level 0

卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 03:38:10 PM »

dese graphix r actualy prety sik
Digital Awakening
Level 0

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 01:40:31 AM »

dese graphix r actualy prety sik

Digital Awakening
Level 0

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 04:45:57 AM »

I got a developer diary set up on my website now. There will be more stuff coming in the near future.

Digital Awakening
Level 0

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2013, 05:59:23 AM »

And right after making that post I noticed that OhMyNugget uploaded a playthrough of the entire alpha. So if you don't want to download and play the game you can watch him play it instead.

Ancient Account
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 06:06:03 AM »

And right after making that post I noticed that OhMyNugget uploaded a playthrough of the entire alpha. So if you don't want to download and play the game you can watch him play it instead.

Downloading and playing the game is easier and simpler than watching a video about it.
Everybody should play this game. Nice platformer is nice!
jdpalmer
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 09:05:04 AM »

I downloaded this and played it on my Ouya last night and the game is looking great!  Keep up the good work Magnus.
Digital Awakening
Level 0

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 06:13:53 AM »

Thanks guys Smiley

Here's a look at the new level artwork I am working on. I would appreciate some feedback on the look.

Ancient Account
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 05:15:41 AM »

Nice to see a background landscape. A lot better. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic