Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:11:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDungeonSweeper (working title)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: DungeonSweeper (working title)  (Read 1328 times)
NachtkARTer
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2013, 04:01:48 AM »

Newest Screenshot:

Hello everybody!

I hope, I'm right here, starting to post my stuff.

Don't want to excuse anything, but first a bit about my knowledge in programming.
I know this isn't close to the stuff I've seen here so far.
I currently do an education in developing but leant only C and little C++ there.
On the other hand I got via my workplace hands on Java based tools. It felt way more comfortable to me so I took my free time to learn more about Java. After doing some basic stuff in console I wanted to 'see' more of the programms I did. This way I came to swing. Here I soon managed to get an actual working minesweeper clone to run. Now since I like this game really much a few days ago I wanted to take it to the next level. The Idea of DungeonSweeper was born (at least for me).

Some day I hope to have enough experience to port this to some game engine, but atm I'm already happy that I got this far in a basic swing GUI.

So, what I don't know - does someone still like those Sweeper games?
What do you guys think of the current result?

Let me know =)

ToDo list:
-add nice color theme
-add actual avatars (ongoing...)
-improve character editor
-add tile textures (3 themes done)
-make GUI size multi-resolution compatible (in development)
-add GUI textures
-add more enemies
-add enemy images
-add fighting system
-fix focussing issue of namefield
-improve field-check algorithm for larger fields (replaced by 8-way flood fill)
-balance leveling
-resource management
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 02:36:16 PM by NachtkARTer » Logged

NachtkARTer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 05:37:49 AM »

So the first thing I did, was to take my 'old' Minesweeper algorithm and bed it into a GUI, one may actually want to look at while playing.
Only this time I did this already in a Panel within the main Window. Then I added some basic RPG leveling system, char selection and character display (still with a old dummy pic). This is how it looks this state:

Some news from my side here:

After much work and many errors in some ways I approached I finally made some progress on Textures.
It works good on Win and OSX as far as I was able to test it. Linux  wasn't tested so far, maybe I'll set up an VM for that.

Everything thats pure black in the character screen will also get some textures in the future.

Whats done now are tiles in the "Minefield" to act as the Dungeon, separated into 3 Themes, all with variable looking.

Here are my new results:

« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 02:12:28 PM by NachtkARTer » Logged

NachtkARTer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 08:52:02 AM »

Here you can see the character selection as well as the second theme.
I also found a possible solution to improve performance - guess I'll know more when I can test in on the next weekend...

NachtkARTer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 02:35:15 PM »

It's been a while, hard times at work...

But I'm alive and kickin'

So - currently I'm working on implementing a correct resizing of everything to scale the window to different resolutions and (in future) add fullscreen mode. Also I do some avatar parts which will  be mixable in the new character editor.

This again brings me to what I already HAVE done now.
- Surprise - a new and ultimatively customizable character editor.
- Field removement algorithm has been rewritten to a 8-way flood fill clearance (speed up about 4x)
   It also is running now in a separate Thread, so no more freezing of the main window - yay
- Resource management - Images and textures now are loaded on startup and are only referenced
   when used ingame (speed up for another 4x)

And for the hungry eyes: a random new image.
This also shows the 3rd theme that is already done.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic