Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:56:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralGames you REALLY dislike / hate
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Games you REALLY dislike / hate  (Read 31904 times)
Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« on: November 20, 2008, 10:06:59 PM »

I haven't seen a thread like this, so here it is.

What games do you people have real issues with? Which games can make you angry when you remember them, or someone tells it's good? Go on and rant!

I've only two games that I've come dislike this much.

The first one is Blood. It's completely broken. Invincible enemies, overpowered weapons. The worst difficulty curve I've ever seen, starts real hard, and keeps getting easier. The last boss is the easiest level in the whole game, and the first boss is impossible. The enemies are boring to look at, and to fight with, and have crappy AIs. Opening doors crush you often. And yet, every once in a while, someone says it's actualy good, that's original and well designed.

With the second one, I have less problems with it than with Blood, but they are problems indeed. And some people won't like this. It's Ecco the Dolphin. I had the sequel as a child in my Genesis, in japanese, and it was always boring, frustrating, or both. Yet I could play it. Like a week ago, I decided to give it another try, this time in english, thinking that it was boring mostly 'cause I was 8 years and it was in japanese. I played it for like 15 minutes, then I got completely angry at the game, at it's boredom, at the stupid dolphin, at the even more stupid dolphins that had nothing to say, at the random stuff I had to do with no in-game reason at all, at the horrible traveling stage where you jump through rings, and every other little thing there was in the game.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 10:14:09 PM »

Hm, I have fond memories of Blood.  I dunno why, it was just demented and fun!  I liked the way the monsters looked, too. Tongue
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 10:15:50 PM »

Terranigma Huh?

Fuck Terranigma.

Also, nethack and Mr Blocko
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 10:33:33 PM by Inane » Logged

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
DjangoDurango
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 10:33:33 PM »

Wave Race 64. Only four characters? Seriously?

I also remember hating sports games in general as a kid because at that age I was mostly a spectator and I had no interest in watching my dad arrange little football players or watching his baseball players scramble about.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 10:33:43 PM »

I remember spending a long time thinking Terranigma was fantastic.

Then I went back and played it again about four months ago and realized it was really not very good.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 10:37:12 PM »

Flashback. I loved the way it looked and I've heard that it had a good plot, but I just couldn't deal with the awkward controls and grid-based movement.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 12:47:25 AM »

I really disliked Kingdom Hearts, but I played through the whole thing because my girlfriend wanted to watch it.  The only thing I thought was interesting about the game was building Gummy ships.

Anyway, she asked me to play through Kingdom Hearts 2 for her.  Dear God, I hate that game so much.  I would rather eat my own face than play that piece of crap again.  It is the most sappy, insipid piece of fan-service garbage ever to be vomited forth by Square.

Terranigma Huh? Fuck Terranigma.

There's a bunch of Terranigma fans around here so you're going to get some crap for that.  Much like this:

Flashback. I loved the way it looked and I've heard that it had a good plot, but I just couldn't deal with the awkward controls and grid-based movement.

Blasphemer! Angry

Seriously though once you get used to the controls you can make Conrad move like a gymnast.  It just has a bit of a higher learning curve than most platformers.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Decipher
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 12:58:13 AM »

I really disliked the first Doom as it has given me a sick desire to puke and nausea whenever I was stuck at one point of the game. I guess that was due to the low resolution.

I too don't like Nethack... It lacks something and the name has nothing to do with the theme. Eww... Gross...
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 01:08:14 AM »

I too don't like Nethack... It lacks something and the name has nothing to do with the theme. Eww... Gross...

Hack and Slash?  It certainly has something to do with the theme.

Also: Monopoly.  It never ends happily.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 01:11:38 AM by brog » Logged
Decipher
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 01:10:08 AM »

Guess I was thinking too much of cyberpunk then Smiley
Sk8rCai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 01:33:57 AM »

Halo 2 and Halo 3 are obnoxious buckets of sex sauce!

This is a very personal opinion and one that wont be shared by the masses, but here things might be different.  I felt that Halo was, while polished, wasn't finished and centered around multiplayer gameplay rather than on the single player narrative.

Soul Calibur 4 makes me very sad, rather than angry.....well....maybe a bit angry.   

Okay, it makes me want to vomit up my own knee caps!
It feels very unfinished.  There seems like far too much is a place holder rather than a proper feature.  Let us not mention the idea that the game feels like it hasnt been play tested.

And then theres the idea of paying for content already on the disk......

I shall stop.....before I explode in a violent blossom of blood and vomit!

Renton
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 01:43:32 AM »

I always loved Blood's sick sense of humor. And as for Flashback, you better watch yer words, Cray.

As for the games I hate. Well. I hate the Diablo series. I hate how it's just a very overrated hack n' slash.
And... Uhh...
Kingdom Hearts series. Do I have to explain?
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 02:05:09 AM »

I'm probably the only one who liked both Kingdom Hearts then Huh?
Blaster
Pixelhead
Level 1

*wiggle*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 02:09:51 AM »

I played the GBA Kingdom hearts game and remember enjoying it. Smiley

Distasteful sequels made by different development teams have always bothered me. One of the neat things about indie games/game development is its better attention to authorship.

Pixel Art: Portfolio || Twitter: @pita_akm || Tumblr: silver deluxe
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 02:13:46 AM »

Quote from: deadeye
I really disliked Kingdom Hearts, but I played through the whole thing because my girlfriend wanted to watch it.  The only thing I thought was interesting about the game was building Gummy ships.

Anyway, she asked me to play through Kingdom Hearts 2 for her.  Dear God, I hate that game so much.  I would rather eat my own face than play that piece of crap again.  It is the most sappy, insipid piece of fan-service garbage ever to be vomited forth by Square.
Ah, the horrible things we do in the name of love  Roll Eyes.

Nethack I hated too. It was just unfriendly (even for a RL) and stupid.

I also hated the idea of Final Fantasy X-2. I haven't played the game. It might be actually well designed for all I know, but I still just don't like the fact it exists. I got used to milking franchises and cheap spin-offs -- companies are there to make money after all. But for some reason this one is just too much for me.

I didn't liked God of War at all too. I can see it isn't really a *bad* game, but I just can't stand it personally. Go there, kill stuff, do a quick time event, then go there, kill more stuff, more quick time events... and then few more. All while watching your completely unlikable protagonist go all: "Hey look, I'm a badass! Rarrr! Isn't that what turns you on, teenage nerds?!". Also, why such simple game uses so many buttons?

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 02:44:38 AM »

I also hated the idea of Final Fantasy X-2. I haven't played the game. It might be actually well designed for all I know, but I still just don't like the fact it exists. I got used to milking franchises and cheap spin-offs -- companies are there to make money after all. But for some reason this one is just too much for me.

THEY MADE MONEY OFF ME. SO MUCH MONEY. And now I don't trust Square. Lesson Learned! But, really, FFX-2: when you still haven't got into a game after forcing yourself though 30 hours of gametime, well, yeah, no. Just no. It wasn't BAD per-se, just not good.

I like God of War I, though. Number two was too stupid for me, but, #1 was a blast. Turned my teenage nerd on. Awww jeah.
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 02:49:37 AM »

Driver.

The concept is all, "Hey, 70s car chases!"

The execution is all, "You've agreed to meet some gangsters.  You decide to leave 45 seconds before the meeting, and these crooks are such sticklers for punctuality, they won't speak to you if you're even a second late. Have fun!"

Not to mention, my first time just driving through the city, I used the handbrake.  In response to this grievous crime, a police car rammed its way through a dense traffic jam and started repeatedly slamming into my stationary car, reversing, slamming into it again...  Hey, I surrender!  Give me a ticket already!

And then there's the cut scenes of the form: main character is standing next to the phone in his motel room.  It rings.  He answers it in a robotic fashion.

Still want my money back.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 02:53:09 AM by Pacian » Logged

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 03:14:25 AM »

Ah, the horrible things we do in the name of love  Roll Eyes.

To be fair she thought KH2 was pretty WTF as well, but halfway through the game we both decided we might as well see it through considering we paid good money for it.

Apart from KH we generally have the same taste in games though, which is nice.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 03:34:00 AM »

I hate games that forget they're games.

Most JRPGs and MMORPGs, Diablo and so on.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 03:50:25 AM »

I'm probably the only one who liked both Kingdom Hearts then Huh?
Oh, I enjoyed it. Certainly better than the turn-based RPG drivel Squeenix is usually shoveling down your throat.

I can't play FF7. I can't even look at it, because the graphics are so horrifying that my eyes try to pull their way off my face and escape whenever I look at them. Worst graphics I have ever seen in a video game. Why couldn't you just stick to 2D, Square Enix? Why? Cry

And I remain dubious about LBP. The sackboys seem to crawl at the slowest pace I've seen in a platformer. It's hard to have fun when your character can't progress through anything quickly at all. The main problem with it is that it seems like a game in which it is more fun to create levels, and not as fun to play them. It causes some sort of crazy inflation, where you have a billion levels online that you can play, and you don't play them because it's more fun to just build your own level and put it online.

'Course, that's just my opinion. I have a general loathing for 2.5D platformers, since they could accomplish everything they do, run faster, and look better in 2D. I've always loved 2D art, and I can never see anything cool in 3D. Ambience in 3D games is nearly impossible, while it's easy to achieve in 2D art. I suppose part of it is the fact that I'm irked that they took a perfectly good 2D game,and decided to make it an ugly 3D game.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic