Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:46:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEIDOLON - Narrative Exploration in Western WA
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: EIDOLON - Narrative Exploration in Western WA  (Read 19874 times)
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 03:40:06 AM »

That's gorgeous. I really like the flight over the landscape at the end - that wasn't something I had expected to see from this engine.

Ice Water Games
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 12:21:38 PM »

@billy: No configurable difficulty as of yet, but we haven't even implemented graphical settings, so don't count it out as a possibility. It would be fairly easy to dynamically change the number of berries per bush, the rate of hunger and cold setting in, the frequency of predators vs prey, and more. W/r/t world scale... not really. It was scaled to take approximately 2 hours to walk unimpeded across the map. Not sure exactly what that would calculate to in real world miles. We've distorted the landscape a good deal anyway, though, so we probably couldn't call it a 'to-scale representation.' And I don't know about Linux... There isn't obvious support for it through UDK, which is what we're using to develop, but it could be possible.

@Pish: Thanks!! The flyover is actually fairly well-supported through UDK's cinematic tools, so it wasn't too much trouble to make.

In other news, the trailer got ~7500 hits since we posted it, which is huge for us! And now we've got a Steam Greenlight page, just in case.

Ice Water Games
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 12:05:24 PM »

Much time has passed! IWG is now a real company with a PO Box, tax forms, etc. Half exciting, half demoralizing.

But the upshot is that I'm making this my day job. And now, thanks to Humble Bundle, we have pre-order available! Time will tell whether all this is financially sustainable Smiley

Steam Greenlight reception has been better than we expected, and we're now working towards our next build (focusing mostly on making the world significantly more content-rich), and thinking about how early we could release a build.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 12:25:33 PM »

I love exploration-focused games so I anticipating your game. Love the visual style.

Had a few questions:
- I'm fine with the more relaxed survival, but will there be any aggressive animals to be wary of/hunt?
- Saw that there will be survival mechanics like exhaustion, age, illness. How deep are these mechanics like do you have to sleep regular/find shelter at night or worry about incoming weather?

Edit: just found the Reddit post about prey and predators. I really like the sound of that. So now I got to ask: do animals interact with each other and can you do stuff like put out bait, set snares, hide from predators?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Ice Water Games
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 03:29:05 PM »

@Christian: Thanks! Currently there's not a lot of ways you can interact with predators. You can attempt to kill them with your bow, but your only real options are to avoid or be mauled. We want the player to feel very much at the mercy of predators, so probably won't put in ways to have much power over them. That said, our process is really organic, and I like the idea of traps and bait, especially for prey animals.

W/r/t the survival mechanics: They're pretty simple at the moment. Not resting at night (or whenever you're tired) causes you to become exhausted and move slower. I'd like the exhausted mechanic to also cause illness, cold, and hunger to develop faster. Again, we're working on this stuff in a very organic way, so it may be quite different a few builds from now. However the focus of the game is more on exploration than survival, so we don't want the systems to get so overwhelming or intricate that they dominates play.

terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 03:43:49 PM »

Cool images and trailer, excited about seeing what you come up with. Good luck!

herror
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 04:31:35 AM »

love this. following.

Calined
Level 1

VGM Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2014, 01:39:16 PM »

great mood! =)
and i like that it's slower and more mellow in the gameplay as-well.

subscribed!

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2014, 02:04:17 PM »

I really like the look of the fire, and the atmosphere in general. Nice choice of name, too Smiley.

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 04:01:13 PM »

following. this looks really exciting!

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Ice Water Games
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2014, 03:41:19 PM »

We finally worked out the "Lux" tablet-like UI stuff, though we've only implemented the "Vitals" app, which gives you more detailed information about survival. Still, very excited. The game is feeling much more understandable and put-together, and I think this was a big step towards having a releasable demo/let's-play build.

Noticing that the Lux clashes with the old journal, but fits better with the background, we decided to give a go at reworking all elements to be textureless and vector-based. I think this could be a major development for a cohesive-looking game. I'm not sure if I'm sold on it yet, but we're reworking it now regardless.

I'm retreating a couple of the documents this way, to see if they'll lose too much in the process. They'll be less rich (font instead of handwriting, for instance) but easier to produce, and more fitting visually with the rest of the game. Is it worth it? I don't know. I think maybe. I'd appreciate input from you guys, though.

OLD SCRAP STYLING:

NEW(?) SCRAP STYLING:

It also could be that the new scraps simply need a bit more love than I've given this one. Not sure. Let me know your thoughts!

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2014, 04:08:35 PM »

They'll be less rich (font instead of handwriting)
I liked that element. Seems like it would have given the world a more lived-in atmosphere

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Calined
Level 1

VGM Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2014, 01:10:45 AM »

Hmm it depends on where those documents come from.
If they were from a time where they used paper and scribbles then it would make sense that they actually stand out from the more modern interface.
unless the data had been processed in the scan.

I find it hard to compare those 2 right now cause i usually dig drawings and scribbles alot more than written text.
(i examine the first and skip the second most of the time, unless i have to find some specific information)
 Shrug

Ice Water Games
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2014, 12:50:35 PM »

Ice Water Games
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2014, 03:40:51 PM »

Added a beehive/honey mechanic as a remedy to festered wounds. Pretty excited about insect clouds. Want to make it more than just a visual... I'd like the bees to maybe follow you around and be obnoxious for a while.

Beaulamb1992
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2014, 04:27:13 PM »

Looking really nice guys Smiley

Ice Water Games
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2014, 02:21:50 PM »

It's been forever since I posted last, but we've been hard at work... I'll have to get around to taking screens and updating, but the largest change (other than our full move to vector art) has been a realization with design that we need to give the player more mechanics that enable exploration. Before, the emphasis was on the bow and rod, both of which are very survival-focused, but ultimately the game is supposed to be about exploration. We've added a tool selector on the HUD that lets you switch between all of your tools, and included among the bow and rod a compass and binoculars. We're brainstorming more tools that might be helpful with exploration. Any ideas?

Ice Water Games
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2014, 02:31:36 PM »

Oh hey also we're Greenlit! (and working on another trailer!)

And I figure I should show off our new start menu compared to the old one -- people say nobody cares about your UI, but this is a development blog so who knows. I'm excited about it, anyway.

OLD:

NEW:

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2014, 05:17:02 AM »

I'm fascinated by game development. Even if it's the smallest technical thing you're working on or it's just some concept art or tweaking a menu or something, I think it would be worth sharing. Seeing a game come together is so great to see. I mean, an update doesn't even have to be showing progress, it could be on stuff you're thinking about game-wise or sharing some technical problem that's been irking you

Really like the look of the menus and that sunset (sunrise?) looks gorgeous

Ice Water Games
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2014, 07:32:06 PM »

Hi friends! We'll be putting out a long gameplay video tomorrow at noon, and at the same time we're going to announce our release date. We've kept the pre-order price low in order to say thank you to early fans, and are planning on increasing it from $10 to $12.50 as we put this update out. I wanted to let you all know ahead of time, so you have a chance to go pre-order for the lower price in the case that you already know for sure you'll be buying the game. Thanks so much for following our progress!

(I'll try to post here with more regular updates, including hopefully a longer descriptive post talking about changes tomorrow when we put out our video! Sorry for the absence!)

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic