Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:13:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGreedy Guns - Gunstar Heroes + metroidvania (4y in the making. Coming Sept 1st!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Greedy Guns - Gunstar Heroes + metroidvania (4y in the making. Coming Sept 1st!  (Read 33730 times)
migrafael
Level 3

Making games, two at a time

View Profile WWW
« on: November 01, 2013, 02:55:03 AM »

After 4 years, Greedy Guns is coming to steam on September 1st! YES!

On STEAM September 1st (wishlist please)

The game features

*2 Player Local Co-Op
*Shooting Old-School Action with 360º aim
*A connected world to exploit and explore!
*Metroidvania inspired gameplay!
*Rocking soundtrack by the amazing Miguel Cintra.
*Filled with vitamins and iron. Or more like lead. Lots of it.

Screenshots

[/center]

Gameplay Video

4 years in the making! So happy! Tears of Joy

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 02:25:12 AM by migrafael » Logged

On STEAM »
biomechanic
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 03:59:24 AM »

Very pretty. Do you have any gifs of that stuff in motion?
DrunkDevs
Level 1

Drink beer and make games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 09:26:30 AM »

Looks cool. You mention that you are going to stream your animating on twitch. Can we get a link to your twitch channel?

Want more Drunk Devs?
DrunkDevs.com / Facebook / Twitter

Current Devlog:
Kegbot
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 09:52:24 AM »

I've just been trying out Spriter for the aliens' animations. Still haven't figured out how to make the gifs more fluid.

Also waiting for Spriter's Beta6 so I can finally use smoothing curves on the animations. Otherwise they'll look to choppy.

Today's work was this jumping plant among other little things. Going to live cast another alien drawing session today.

I was streaming on my personal chanel but now I'm going to start using Tio Atum's twitch account - http://www.twitch.tv/tioatum

On STEAM »
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 09:45:44 AM »

Wow. What a day of crappy casting. Tried to cast the completion of this alien creature and then I noticed I was on and off for 5 seconds at a time...

Anyways, here's the latest. The animation in Vine form and Gif.

https://vine.co/v/hjOAg2xJx79

Now to do some tiles!

On STEAM »
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 01:31:17 PM »

Today I spent most of the day hungover and doing some foliage for the 1st set. I want to show you all the tiles and mockups of the first area but it still needs some work.

So I leave you some picture of what I did last week. I drew this first set of male character sketches

and although the body seemed nice and all I still hasn't to happy with the face

Any favorites?

Of course his clothes need some work. He seems like a janitor and not a Space Merc Tongue I'll post some more of this guy tomorrow. Got to get back to those plants. This concept stage is taking forever. I want the art to be just right Smiley

On STEAM »
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 03:00:17 PM »

Love the art style! I think the best body is #3 and the best face is the seventh sketch. I think his clothes actually look great! Space mercs are so common in video games nowadays that making him look less cliche would be cool. The janitor look makes him seem more badass because he doesn't even need a heavy suit.

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 03:29:15 PM »

I like #2
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 02:51:02 PM »

More stuff! :D

(...) The janitor look makes him seem more badass because he doesn't even need a heavy suit.
I like #2

Thanks for the feedback! yeah, we're not going for the whole combat suit kinda thing.

Here are some more sketches of, let's call him Bob for now. We are probably going for the first one on the second row. The one with the jacket (like in the poster).

Today was tile work day. I spent most of the morning working on some plants and the went of to try to find the right style for the tiles.

Then I started doing some more research and all hell broke loose. Started doubting my earlier choices for tiles and stared doing some variations...

Which ones do you like best?

Tomorrow I'll be doing mockups with each of these tiles to see which ones fit our game best. And then cross mt fingers hoping not to change my mind for the next couple of months Tongue

After deciding what sort of perspective to put on the tiles I got to put everything together and unify the style. The plants, characters and tiles look all a bit different. The tiles especially since they are vector based. Decisions decisions.

More tomorrow!

On STEAM »
rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 03:01:33 PM »

Oh wow this looks great.

NoobsArePeople2
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 03:20:58 PM »

This is looking beautiful!
Uykered
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 07:06:59 PM »

Looking good! 
siskavard
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 09:43:44 PM »

<3
beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 05:16:30 AM »

Imo 2 looks best .. Its has nice stylized persepective..
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 09:49:15 AM »

Wow thanks everyone! Beer! Been working hard on tile mockups today. Should be able to share some  today.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 12:13:42 AM by migrafael » Logged

On STEAM »
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 03:47:19 PM »

More tiles!

Wow, yesterday I spaced out just doing mockups for the tiles. I barely ate  Crazy Today I got a grip on myself and dashed towards a choice. Sometimes is so easy to obsess with little details...

Let me show you some of the mockups I did. I won't post them all in full rez, that would be beyond spamming Tongue

Just look at this set. You can barely tell the difference between them. All it took was a night's sleep and next morning I picked one.

And Now to break this into little cubes and add some vegetation tiles. This is the mockup that'll use for that.

Btw, can anyone tell me how to make the images clickable so you can see them in a bigger resolution?

On STEAM »
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 12:03:29 PM »

I've been going mad with the tiles for this game. I finally finished the basic ones for the first area of the game.

Today was mostly doing sketches for the background, some small decorative vegetation and a lot of planing with Afonso.

I'm still doing some work on the backgrounds so I'll post that later. For now here's a glimpse of what I'll be doing next. Animations!

Now to figure out what software we're going to use. Spriter is good but it looks like it's a couple of betas away from what we need. Maybe Spine?

On STEAM »
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 03:32:22 PM »

Today I spent most of the morning trying out Spine from esoteric software. Spriter is very cool and all but it's still missing key features. We'll probably use Spine for Greedy Guns animations.

Here's an old spriter animation (no easing curves among other constraints)

and an alien eggplant animation I did with Spine this morning. Had to record a Vine cause the free version doesn't export...

https://vine.co/v/hTgLYr1IFJu

Spine allows for more natural movement. Do you think I went overboard with the bounce?

On STEAM »
NoobsArePeople2
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 10:57:47 AM »

Do you think I went overboard with the bounce?

Maybe. It's hard to tell because a) it's a Vine and b) it's in isolation from the rest of the game. Having the bounce be a tad exagerrated in the actual game might work nicely.

What stands out more to me is that his little ponytail thing isn't flopping or bouncing but getting stretched with the rest of the body. I know this is an early test but it really flattens the character.
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 11:58:44 AM »

Thanks for the feedback!

(...)
What stands out more to me is that his little ponytail thing isn't flopping or bouncing but getting stretched with the rest of the body. I know this is an early test but it really flattens the character.

You are not the first to turn my attention to it. Trouble is I cant do it before Spine adds its mesh deform feature. Maybe if I chop the ponytail and add it as a separate sprite.

Will definitely consider adding bits like that ponytail (only more easily detachable) to to future characters. Should liven them up quite a bit.   

On STEAM »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic