Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:16:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGreedy Guns - Gunstar Heroes + metroidvania (4y in the making. Coming Sept 1st!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Greedy Guns - Gunstar Heroes + metroidvania (4y in the making. Coming Sept 1st!  (Read 33732 times)
migrafael
Level 3

Making games, two at a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2014, 04:46:49 AM »

So I've been trying out new weapons. I'm going to do a video with these soon, maybe on the weekend. Until then 2 gifs should suffice no? Smiley

A nice little shower of bullets. I need to make them tidier. Like all bullets should have the same distance between them

This is a bit too much, but it's kind of fun to shoot. Need to find a way to use it.

On STEAM »
laxwolf
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2014, 05:45:59 AM »

Last weapon is awesome, maybe make it a powerup? Visually, it could be a crate full of weapon and on pickup, fires randomly without the players control for a couple of seconds. Keep up the good work!

Solo artist, modeler, designer, and programmer.
pnch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2014, 06:21:25 AM »

Fire and blood is getting too invasive for me, I´d try tuning them down in size a bit, throwing it more into the background or giving it a random chance of having a more subdued color to add depth. Or it could be just my eyes, of course  Smiley

migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2014, 07:11:13 AM »

Fire and blood is getting too invasive for me, I´d try tuning them down in size a bit, throwing it more into the background or giving it a random chance of having a more subdued color to add depth. Or it could be just my eyes, of course  Smiley

Nah, it's pretty insane for sure. For everyhit you get a massive bloody anim. It's too much. We'll definitely going to change that otherwise you can't enven see what you are shooting at. But it is good for a laugh Tongue  

Oh, and if anyone wants to check out or IndieDB page or track us there, you should cause we love you. /shamelessplug
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 07:30:44 AM by migrafael » Logged

On STEAM »
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: June 28, 2014, 01:04:18 PM »

Here's a couple more gifs of Bob in motion. This time carrying a key/orb. He can't shoot while he's carrying it so good luck!  Cheesy

On STEAM »
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2014, 02:59:34 PM »

Check out the video with some of the new weapons, the store layout and the mysterious key-orbs!

So what's next?

More shooting of course! This week we'll be adding more weapons and levels. Also a little in-game cutscene showing off our spaceship in action!

Oh, and the public demo is coming so you should stay sharp Smiley  Follow us!

On STEAM »
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2014, 10:53:34 AM »

This isn't going to be a peaceful landing Tongue

And the new grenade is in. Complete with a nice little particle trail.

Tomorrow I'll update with a dev video (last week's video) showing all of these in motion Smiley Until then!

On STEAM »
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: July 06, 2014, 08:20:53 AM »

BIG WEEKLY UPDATE #349A.1

or something like that  Gomez

Here we go! This week mostly did things under the hood, but there's still stuff to see. The first ingame cut-scene, new grenade launcher and 2 new jumpy levels.

Click the image below to see the video or just click here

For those not keen on watching videos here's a couple of gifs.

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY Tongue

The aliens have landed. Or we have landed on the aliens

Next Week

• Music - The music is now a bit relentless so we'll try to add triggers so we can, well, trigger loops of music with different intensities.
  • Levels - more more more. how do you like it?
  • Weapons - hopefully balanced and looking prettier in the shop

On STEAM »
ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2014, 01:30:37 PM »

Sorry if I've already said this but it's just an awesome project. Keep it on!

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: July 30, 2014, 09:44:50 AM »

Sorry if I've already said this but it's just an awesome project. Keep it on!

Thanks! :D

We were recently at this big event here in Portugal where we got to show Greedy Guns. A ton of feedback go us into hermit mode and we are working hard on some changes.

We are making it a bit more Metroid in the way you unlock new areas with acquired abilities. This called for a new miniboss and a new enemy for the first area of the game.

New Enemy

New Miniboss WIP

We also made a badass t-shirt for the event. Here's what we printed :D

On STEAM »
illugion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 30, 2014, 10:18:00 AM »

Wow, this is looking really nice  Blink
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: August 28, 2014, 11:26:33 AM »

Wow, this is looking really nice  Blink

Thanks! :D

Update Time!

It’s been a while since we did an update to the Greedy Guns devlog. After some playtesting at a Microsoft event here in Portugal we set out to redo the whole map design. That took a while. Also we’ve been going to the beach a lot cause it’s sunny. Sorry Smiley

Miniboss

Now let’s get right to the good stuff! The miniboss!

The gif stutters a bit but you get the point. He waves about. And then spawns enemies on you. And Shoots. He’ll kill you a couple of times for sure.  After you kill him you get a new ability that will allow you to progress. How Metroid is that?

New enemy

Well, this is the enemy the boss spawns. He’s really fun to dodge. We’ll be much needed enemy behaviors to the game soon. We need them to be more aggressive. More swarming.

Puker Redesigned

The old puker didn’t seem armored but it was in fact invulnerable. To fix it I tried to find the right art for armored enemies. This is what I got. You ain’t Killing that!

The old puker as you can see, looks bad. Real bad.

These were some of the more visual changes we did recently. More to come so stay tuned!

On STEAM »
Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: August 28, 2014, 12:53:43 PM »

This is going to be awesome!

SimplyRivet
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 28, 2014, 02:09:26 PM »

Hey you've got a solid looking game here. There's a lot of feed back, and the art style is very solid. There's just one thing that really bugged me when looking over this project. It's the particle effects.

It's little strange against the tight cartoon background to see the really fuzzy gun shots filling the screen. That's forgivable though, considering the game you're making. The big thing that I saw, and the reason that I'm writing this, is the rolling. Why does he glow purple when he rolls?

Is there a magic purple artifact that is making him roll? Is he secretly wearing undergarments with neon purple lights in them, that only activate when they roll?

I really think that it would help the visuals if you unified the art and the particle effects just a little bit more. I'd really love to see what this game can be if you polish it just a little bit more. Keep up the good work!
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2014, 02:17:42 AM »

This is going to be awesome!

Mock Anger wesome!!!!! Thanks for the vote of confidence Wink

(...) Why does he glow purple when he rolls?(...)

Why purple??? Why purple??? Because it was the easiest way to make a trail that stood out from the background. Smiley Yeah, we need to revise that for sure. He actually gets that ability from the rolling enemies, still, it could be much better maybe with a trail of frames of himself included.

One of these days i'll have to revise a ton of stuff, but since it's me doing all the art, animation and level design, it takes a while :)Thanks for the honest feedback. Feel free to give some more. Be cruel if you have to.

On STEAM »
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2014, 02:24:39 AM »

The aesthetic approach is wonderful and unique!

Sjonsson
Level 0

Multi-hatter. Level design get's the love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2014, 02:46:54 AM »

I have to agree with above, really good job on the art. Gameplay seems cool too!

Unity-chan is that ex that you'll never get over but on the same time will always regret.
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: September 07, 2014, 12:48:36 AM »

Thanks everyone. You make me happy. More than chocolate.

We haven't been doing much in terms of art lately. Mostly I've been trying to get the lessons learned from Metroid Fusion into the game. Namely forcing less backtraking and better oriented flow.

I never gave it to much attention until I recently started studying Metroid and making my own maps. In Fusion the player is actually very well driven through the map, making it seem you're making choices as to where to go, but you are really not. The game just points you in one direction and you follow that until an obstacle makes you turn or solve a puzzle (find a hidden path)

In later levels these turns are less obvious and force the player to explore and find the way, but usually the real way is never far off from where you are. Greedy Guns is not so much about exploration, still the keeping of player's momentum/direction is really a cool trick to make sure you are never too lost.

The Map

I did a couple of iterations on the map. Note that this represents the actual maps as they we're playable in the game, so the're more than just some flowcharts that you make in 10 minutes Tongue

In the most recent flow the backtraking is much less. It also does that nice loop that ends almost at the point where your new ability opens up a new way.

The old flow had you doing much more backtracking (even seasoned players complained they where lost!) It was longer but boooooring. Also it had two loops (the second one wasn't finished yet...)

Sorry for the mess. Hope it's legible somehow Smiley

Now to add some dialogues!!!

On STEAM »
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: September 14, 2014, 03:10:56 AM »

We're finally adding a neew character to the game to make co-op a little more interesting. Meet kate.

The frame of the character had to be as wide as Bob's so I could use his skeleton and animations (at least most of them). So the first 3 sketches we're done before we even had any character in the game, and from the 4th are the studies to try and get the shoulders wide enough without compromising the female silhouette.

Now there's the matter of choosing a hairstyle for her. This is going to be tricky so please feel free to lend a hand Smiley
Which one is your favorite?

Also we finally got a proper Greenlight Page. More that just a YES (make it yes please Tongue) I would love to get feedback on the page itself. What could we do to make it better?

On STEAM »
tuglaw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: September 14, 2014, 09:48:44 AM »

10 looks great.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic