Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:00:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGet Out of My Way I'm Trying to Eat You - New Version!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Get Out of My Way I'm Trying to Eat You - New Version!  (Read 10956 times)
Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 06, 2013, 02:34:11 PM »

NEW VERSION AVAILABLE!

Download on Gamejolt

What's new? Here's a list:

-Menu screen!
-Saves the game after you return to the hub so you don't have to beat a whole world in one sitting!
-Level select!
-New Walljump which will make things less frustrating and more fun!
-Remade roughly 25% of the levels that were too hard and/or bad!
-New secret glitch world,found on level 1-10 (screenshot shown below)!
-New secret harder world 1, found on level 2-10!
-New music for said glitch world and harder world 1!
-The game doesn't just close when you beat the last level now!

I'd love to know what you think of the changes above. Especially the difficulty, because I know that the game got way to hard to fast for most people in the old version. Also the menu, new world, new walljump, etc. Thanks!

Description

(GOOMWITTEY for short)

This game is simple, you play as a box that gets eaten a lot.
It is a platformer that plays with extreme velocity, along with other usual platformer gimmicks.
7 worlds of 70 levels.

Controls:

left and right arrow keys - move
up and down arrow keys - select level
space bar - jump
esc - quit

Download on Gamejolt

Thanks for playing/reading! Smiley
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 09:43:47 AM by Beanallean » Logged
rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 03:55:26 PM »

Fits right besides some classics i've played.

Reminds me of this wizard game combined with VVVVVV.

Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 04:04:37 PM »

Fits right besides some classics i've played.

Reminds me of this wizard game combined with VVVVVV.

Thanks for the nice words! I do like the VVVVVV comparison, and definitely see where you're coming from on it.
pladmi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 04:06:46 AM »

Its a really great game! Probably the best I've played on TIGSource(which isn't many but still), and one of the best platformers I've played in a long time, maybe ever!

I like the art style a lot, I liked the gameplay. I liked the sense of discovery when I find out that I can do things I never knew I could. I liked the mechanics on the levels I've played so far(I haven't finished it yet).

I've got a single complaint though. I think wall jump needs some work. It doesn't control well and I quit the game on a wall jump level (I'll try to finish it later, though). Here's the problem. Say there is a wall on the left that I want to wall jump on. So usually when I fly towards it I'm pressing "left" and "up" buttons, right? At the moment of impact I have to release "up" fast, release "left" and press "right" and then press "up" to wall jump to the right. But if I'm a bit late with pressing "up" I will not jump, but actually just fall away from the wall. I hope I made the problem clear. This is very frustrating, and it makes me feel controls are not good, which is not a good thing for a platformer.

I know Tommy Refenes had the same issue in Super Meat Boy. As far as I know he fixed it by making a player to stick to the wall for a short period of time, so that there's always enough time to input keys for wall jump. That's one idea how to do it.

So yeah, great game!

Lets be friends!
Orymus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 09:43:45 AM »

Overall, a very interesting game, congrats.

I felt most of the levels were short enough to be a lunch-time favorite much in the vein of other similar games (hexagon does come to mind).

I'm not particularly fond of the levels where the screen pans, as I like to take some time (while chewing food) to analyse what I'll try to do, and then set out to do it. Having hidden information makes it a bit harder to do that, and feels a bit more random (less like a puzzle I need to solve).

There's a lot of fun to be had with the gameplay mechanics (especially with the wall-to-wall and wall-on-same-wall powers).

I felt the messaging of the (+) objects was missing. I believe they are when you acquire new powers? Perhaps a bit more feedback could help here?

The jumping from "bouncing floor" was a bit tricky, and after a while, I figure holding the up or W key was better than try to do a perfect timing jump. Is there a way you can address this?

Lastly, I've included two examples of levels where you try to "teach 2 things at once", which I believe hurts your level design:

Here you teach the wall-to-wall well, and ask the player to jump over some spikes (great).
Unfortunately, the player has to respite here, and no safe zone, and is prompted with a much harder challenge.
Assuming the player has just been taught this mechanic, it will be hard to have a decent control over it, and controlling your fall, and jumping (time-sensitive) over spikes to wall-jump is a bit tricky.
As a matter of fact, a number of levels AFTER are easier to deal with than this.

The entire bottom sequence here works formidably, including the jump (circle at the top).
The problem is you should add a safe zone before asking the player to move any further.
The player has done well to do half of that level in a single sequence and should be rewarded with time to consider his next move (especially since it was hidden at the start of the level and means the player acts from memory).
I would put a safe zone nearby the red circle, when the player has visibility over the second segment of the level.

As I said, great work overall, very interesting game that really shows "easy to learn, hard to master" at work!
Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 01:28:16 PM »

Its a really great game! Probably the best I've played on TIGSource(which isn't many but still), and one of the best platformers I've played in a long time, maybe ever!

I like the art style a lot, I liked the gameplay. I liked the sense of discovery when I find out that I can do things I never knew I could. I liked the mechanics on the levels I've played so far(I haven't finished it yet).

I've got a single complaint though. I think wall jump needs some work. It doesn't control well and I quit the game on a wall jump level (I'll try to finish it later, though). Here's the problem. Say there is a wall on the left that I want to wall jump on. So usually when I fly towards it I'm pressing "left" and "up" buttons, right? At the moment of impact I have to release "up" fast, release "left" and press "right" and then press "up" to wall jump to the right. But if I'm a bit late with pressing "up" I will not jump, but actually just fall away from the wall. I hope I made the problem clear. This is very frustrating, and it makes me feel controls are not good, which is not a good thing for a platformer.

I know Tommy Refenes had the same issue in Super Meat Boy. As far as I know he fixed it by making a player to stick to the wall for a short period of time, so that there's always enough time to input keys for wall jump. That's one idea how to do it.

So yeah, great game!

Man, thanks for the awesome response! I definitely get what you're saying about the walljumping, and a short wall-stick is something I plan on adding soon. At the same time, I feel like you might be having this problem because of the controls. I wanted everyone's keyboard preference to be in the game, which is why you can use arrow keys, wasd, and the spacebar to play. However, I might only make it arrow keys + spacebar because doing everything with one hand is ridiculous.

So ya, I'll definitely get on with the (short) wall-stick. I might also add configurable controls in the future so people can know what to do right from the get go. But that's not a priority.
Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 01:41:32 PM »

Overall, a very interesting game, congrats.

I felt most of the levels were short enough to be a lunch-time favorite much in the vein of other similar games (hexagon does come to mind).

I'm not particularly fond of the levels where the screen pans, as I like to take some time (while chewing food) to analyse what I'll try to do, and then set out to do it. Having hidden information makes it a bit harder to do that, and feels a bit more random (less like a puzzle I need to solve).

There's a lot of fun to be had with the gameplay mechanics (especially with the wall-to-wall and wall-on-same-wall powers).

I felt the messaging of the (+) objects was missing. I believe they are when you acquire new powers? Perhaps a bit more feedback could help here?

The jumping from "bouncing floor" was a bit tricky, and after a while, I figure holding the up or W key was better than try to do a perfect timing jump. Is there a way you can address this?

Lastly, I've included two examples of levels where you try to "teach 2 things at once", which I believe hurts your level design:

Here you teach the wall-to-wall well, and ask the player to jump over some spikes (great).
Unfortunately, the player has to respite here, and no safe zone, and is prompted with a much harder challenge.
Assuming the player has just been taught this mechanic, it will be hard to have a decent control over it, and controlling your fall, and jumping (time-sensitive) over spikes to wall-jump is a bit tricky.
As a matter of fact, a number of levels AFTER are easier to deal with than this.

The entire bottom sequence here works formidably, including the jump (circle at the top).
The problem is you should add a safe zone before asking the player to move any further.
The player has done well to do half of that level in a single sequence and should be rewarded with time to consider his next move (especially since it was hidden at the start of the level and means the player acts from memory).
I would put a safe zone nearby the red circle, when the player has visibility over the second segment of the level.

As I said, great work overall, very interesting game that really shows "easy to learn, hard to master" at work!

Thanks for the long response, I really enjoy reading these.

So ya, first for the scrolling levels. I agree with what you're saying about them, and I understand that sometimes it gives a bit more trial and error to the levels (which I don't like) but I don't want the game to be zoomed out too much, and on some later levels, having everything on the screen at the same time would be madness.

When making this game, I wanted to teach the player how to play without any dialog or visual queues. And honestly, I think it works. Even though at first you didn't know what the powerups did, you were able to figure it out purely through the level design forcing you to do something previously impossible. Of course, if you were someone with little video game knowledge and didn't know what walljumping was, then that could be a problem. But I don't really worry about things like that.

For the bouncy floors (trampolines) you just hold down the jump button. Constantly presses and holding the jump button gets tiring after awhile. Especially when a level is based entirely on that concept.

For the first level you talked about, I think I might add a safe spot (a nook in the wall) near the top, and also raise the ceiling up a bit. Although most people I've showed this to haven't had much trouble with it, and I've showed it to platform lovers and dispisers alike.

For the second level you talked about, I actually was going to change a couple of things to that level before I posted it here, but I totally forgot. I wanted to block off the left safe spot (which wasn't meant to be a safe spot in the first place) and also extend the wall to the left of your mouse cursor down 2 or 3 tiles. But ya, do to the length of this level and how few breaks there are, I can justify adding a safe spot where you were talking about.

Thanks again for the response!
Orymus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 01:59:48 PM »

yes, the safe spot in the second level isn't necessary where it is. The player hasn't yet committed enough to "deserve" that.

Adding safe spots midway through levels would allow you to play with levels larger than the screen efficiently obviously, as it allows the player to reassess the situation (much like a mario bros game where you get at least one safe spot per screen, except in auto-scrolling levels.
Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 04:20:14 PM »

yes, the safe spot in the second level isn't necessary where it is. The player hasn't yet committed enough to "deserve" that.

Adding safe spots midway through levels would allow you to play with levels larger than the screen efficiently obviously, as it allows the player to reassess the situation (much like a mario bros game where you get at least one safe spot per screen, except in auto-scrolling levels.

Totally. There are some later levels that could use some "midpoints" as well. I'll add those, and then post an updated version of the game when I get around to making the wall-stick feature
AHaftevani
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 04:12:57 AM »

Hey, I wanted to congratulate you on your game as it's a great deal of fun. Both as a game and as a toy (I'll get to this later). After going through the game as far as currently possible, there's a couple issues I'd like to point out.

The first one you probably already know as you mentioned the game is unfinished.

This error occurs at the end of World 5 on Level 6 (starting from the room after the player moves through 4 colored rooms and falls repeatedly). My guess is that you are using Game Maker (I use it as well) and there is just no room after you beat this level so the game just ends with this error as it tries to transition to a non-existent room.

The next one has to do with the bouncy lines (trampolines) as the player can accidentally or purposely exploit a path through them on a couple levels.

On World 3 Level 7 in the picture above, the player can completely avoid all the difficulty of the level by simply holding the left arrow key where the player begins to fall from the right side to the objective. What happens is that the player's box will spin rapidly and slowly move through the trampoline until it exits on the other side. This can repeated 100% of the time very easily.

This can happen again with less certainty on World 4 Level 9 in the picture above as well. Once the player reaches the vertical trampoline highlighted, it is possible to sometimes to hit it while holding the left arrow key again to get stuck inside it. From there, the player can simply keep holding left to just push through to the other side. This happens most often when trying to use the trampoline just to the right and barely missing the top of the ledge.

Now that all of the issues are clear, I'd like to make a recommendation. As I stated before, your game is also fun as just a toy. By that I mean, moving the box around with the extreme momentum and utilizing the trampolines and such is intrinsically enjoyable even with no objective. Thus, I would say that you may want to build a level for the sole purpose of just messing around with the box in a sandbox environment. Perhaps it can be unlocked after gaining all the power-ups so you don't spoil which ones you receive, but regardless, I think it would be well-liked.

Nice job on your game once again.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 04:23:36 AM by Vaidin » Logged
Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 10:33:25 AM »

Hey, I wanted to congratulate you on your game as it's a great deal of fun. Both as a game and as a toy (I'll get to this later). After going through the game as far as currently possible, there's a couple issues I'd like to point out.

The first one you probably already know as you mentioned the game is unfinished.

This error occurs at the end of World 5 on Level 6 (starting from the room after the player moves through 4 colored rooms and falls repeatedly). My guess is that you are using Game Maker (I use it as well) and there is just no room after you beat this level so the game just ends with this error as it tries to transition to a non-existent room.

The next one has to do with the bouncy lines (trampolines) as the player can accidentally or purposely exploit a path through them on a couple levels.

On World 3 Level 7 in the picture above, the player can completely avoid all the difficulty of the level by simply holding the left arrow key where the player begins to fall from the right side to the objective. What happens is that the player's box will spin rapidly and slowly move through the trampoline until it exits on the other side. This can repeated 100% of the time very easily.

This can happen again with less certainty on World 4 Level 9 in the picture above as well. Once the player reaches the vertical trampoline highlighted, it is possible to sometimes to hit it while holding the left arrow key again to get stuck inside it. From there, the player can simply keep holding left to just push through to the other side. This happens most often when trying to use the trampoline just to the right and barely missing the top of the ledge.

Now that all of the issues are clear, I'd like to make a recommendation. As I stated before, your game is also fun as just a toy. By that I mean, moving the box around with the extreme momentum and utilizing the trampolines and such is intrinsically enjoyable even with no objective. Thus, I would say that you may want to build a level for the sole purpose of just messing around with the box in a sandbox environment. Perhaps it can be unlocked after gaining all the power-ups so you don't spoil which ones you receive, but regardless, I think it would be well-liked.

Nice job on your game once again.

Oh man, I actually have finished the game at this point, but I guess I never updated the forum post! I actually did know about glitching through the trampoline in world 4, I never fixed that because it's so hard to pull off and it doesn't really ruin the level (that much). But I'd never thought of it breaking the world 3 level. I'll definitely fix that.

Now, you're the first person that's ever suggested a sandbox format for this game. I assume you mean like a place where you can just screw around with the game's physics without worrying about death or anything. And I get that, but at the same time I don't think it would add THAT much into the enjoyment of the game. I have considered adding a level editor though, and that would give people a true sandbox experience. That I might do.

Also I'm really amazed that you got as far as you did! You're the only person I know of who's even seen the white world, let alone get through it. Kudos. The update I'm posting now has all 10 levels of the final world, and a readme with credits and whatnot. Unfortunately, if you want to experience the final levels, you'll have to start the game over. But you can cheat a little with the level warping at the bottom of the original post. You can't warp to world 5 levels though.
AHaftevani
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 04:57:58 PM »

Yeah, that is what I meant by a sandbox environment. If you do end up making a level editor, that would work as well.

I finished the rest of the white world and it was very interesting. Overall, I'd say I enjoyed World 5 Level 6 the most (the picture above) as there's a great sense of tension as you wall jump up both times to avoid the spinning blocks. The player can get around the first jump by getting stuck onto the trampoline as seen above and holding the right arrow key to spin into a safe zone. Then, he/she would just wait until all blocks are below their position and wall jump rapidly to be free, but the next set of wall jumps is significantly harder so it doesn't matter much.

Also, I'm glad you changed the position on the spinning blocks on the level before this one (starts with alternating spikes, then the player must deal with 3 trampolines). The player was forced before to wait as the lowest spinning block would always be in the way just as you reach that point. Allowing the player to move constantly keeps the player in the flow of their movement and really helps maintain the theme of the game.

Just to make sure, the game is supposed to exit when you beat the last level, right?
Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 07:34:50 PM »

Yeah, that is what I meant by a sandbox environment. If you do end up making a level editor, that would work as well.

I finished the rest of the white world and it was very interesting. Overall, I'd say I enjoyed World 5 Level 6 the most (the picture above) as there's a great sense of tension as you wall jump up both times to avoid the spinning blocks. The player can get around the first jump by getting stuck onto the trampoline as seen above and holding the right arrow key to spin into a safe zone. Then, he/she would just wait until all blocks are below their position and wall jump rapidly to be free, but the next set of wall jumps is significantly harder so it doesn't matter much.

Also, I'm glad you changed the position on the spinning blocks on the level before this one (starts with alternating spikes, then the player must deal with 3 trampolines). The player was forced before to wait as the lowest spinning block would always be in the way just as you reach that point. Allowing the player to move constantly keeps the player in the flow of their movement and really helps maintain the theme of the game.

Just to make sure, the game is supposed to exit when you beat the last level, right?

Yes that's my favorite level in world 5 too. It sort of makes you re-think everything you know about wall jumping in that first part. And yes, the game is supposed to just close at the end. I'm still not sure how to properly end the game. I think I might have an idea though. Really glad you enjoyed the game, and thanks so much for your comments Smiley
kidchameleon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 09:15:11 AM »

I really enjoyed this
Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 01:58:44 PM »

I really enjoyed this

Thanks! Smiley
PeteHuf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 12:49:38 AM »

Really good! I took some notes as I played:

* The music had some really catchy themes. At first it felt out of place, then I started to get used to it. I still don't think some of the pads in the tracks fit with the graphics though. I guess the themes seem really fitting and got me pumped up, but the mixing and production didn't seem to fit.

* Often time I died right after spawning since I was still holding down a key. Maybe lock input until keys are released after starting a new level?

* I don't play many punishing platforms, but the respawn time in this seemed a tad long to me. I liked the effect of the level scrolling away, but maybe have it accelerate more to preserve the effect to make it a bit quicker? I could have been my imagination, but does it take longer to respawn on taller levels?

* It took me a while to figure out that I could wall jump in the level that forces it. I was actually almost ready to quit thinking it was a strange way to end the game (an unbeatable level.) I always think to Super Metroid in how to hint at things such as this. In that, her sprite changed to show her facing away from the wall, ready to kick off (not to mention the aliens demonstrating wall jumping.) I don't think you need to be that heavy-handed given how much easier it is to wall jump in this game, I just can't help but thing something on the sprite might indicate when you are ready to wall jump.

I finally gave up when I got to the with the long, wrapping long jump to the right followed by a wrapping, long, wall jump to the left to. The floor covered in spikes. I think the difficulty curve was good, that was just my limit.

I really liked the main mechanic, it had a great feel to it. I pretty much liked the wall jump, but wasn't really sure when I should be pressing a direction while jumping and when I shouldn't.

I'll be keeping an eye on this!  Grin

Biodrome Devlog! Competitive exploration in procedural platformer adventure worlds.
Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 01:45:54 PM »

Really good! I took some notes as I played:

* The music had some really catchy themes. At first it felt out of place, then I started to get used to it. I still don't think some of the pads in the tracks fit with the graphics though. I guess the themes seem really fitting and got me pumped up, but the mixing and production didn't seem to fit.

* Often time I died right after spawning since I was still holding down a key. Maybe lock input until keys are released after starting a new level?

* I don't play many punishing platforms, but the respawn time in this seemed a tad long to me. I liked the effect of the level scrolling away, but maybe have it accelerate more to preserve the effect to make it a bit quicker? I could have been my imagination, but does it take longer to respawn on taller levels?

* It took me a while to figure out that I could wall jump in the level that forces it. I was actually almost ready to quit thinking it was a strange way to end the game (an unbeatable level.) I always think to Super Metroid in how to hint at things such as this. In that, her sprite changed to show her facing away from the wall, ready to kick off (not to mention the aliens demonstrating wall jumping.) I don't think you need to be that heavy-handed given how much easier it is to wall jump in this game, I just can't help but thing something on the sprite might indicate when you are ready to wall jump.

I finally gave up when I got to the with the long, wrapping long jump to the right followed by a wrapping, long, wall jump to the left to. The floor covered in spikes. I think the difficulty curve was good, that was just my limit.

I really liked the main mechanic, it had a great feel to it. I pretty much liked the wall jump, but wasn't really sure when I should be pressing a direction while jumping and when I shouldn't.

I'll be keeping an eye on this!  Grin

The key input at the start of a level is problem, but it is intentional. Yes, it's annoying when you sometimes die at the start of a new level, but it's also annoying to die on a level and then have to re press keys when starting over. This is something I loved in super meat boy, everything flowed so well. When you died, you could already have you keys prepped for starting again, and that's what I wanted in this game. I do think a pause in movement for maybe half a second could help though. It would still flow, but it would give you a chance to better take in your surroundings.

As for the walljump, that's usually what stops most people for this game. Although most people figure out the walljump, somewhere in world 2, they give up. But that's ok, this kind of game has its audience, a couple of people have beaten it full through (which amazes me that I'm not the only person able to do that haha). I actually have had games where I added the sprite change on a wall, but I wanted to keep things simple in this game. Also there's not much to change around in the player sprite for this game.

Glad you enjoyed the game, and thank you for the good post!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 11:49:56 AM by Beanallean » Logged
Ancient Account
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 10:23:50 PM »

I have a problem Angry:

This game is too good! Cheesy Grin

Also, I agree that the respawn time is a bit long.
Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2013, 06:12:40 PM »

I have a problem Angry:

This game is too good! Cheesy Grin

Also, I agree that the respawn time is a bit long.

Haha, thanks :D

Yeaaaaaah, I don't really feel like changing much more to the game though. I think it's fine how it is even with a longer respawn time.
Fsmv
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 10:58:54 AM »

I just saw the indie static review today and I was totally ready to pay $5 for this. Its a fun game, have you considered http://itch.io? You could even put the game up for free and let fools like me pay you for it anyway.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic