Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:01:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGet Out of My Way I'm Trying to Eat You - New Version!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Get Out of My Way I'm Trying to Eat You - New Version!  (Read 10957 times)
Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 02:48:51 PM »

Wow, thanks! I've never really considered something like that. I don't think I'd put my game on Itch now considering I've had this game as freeware for 2 months now though. And yes I know I can put it up as free/pay what you want. But that sort of thing doesn't feel right to me for the same reason as above. Although I'll definitely think about it for my next game that I'm working on. And thanks for the reference, I'd never heard of Itch before.

If you liked this game then you'll probably like my new game too. I'll be starting up a blog on it on my Gamejolt page when I feel like there's something to show. I will probably also do this on Tigsource, so be on the lookout!
Kolba
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 02:55:12 PM »

I'm afraid I rage quit on one of the levels in the second world when you have two walls close together and singular spikes alternating up the wall left to right. Sometimes I managed to get up to the top but it was by sheer luck. It had me thinking there was a specific pixel I had to launch myself from, it felt so unforgiving.

Before that the difficulty ramp felt steady.

Cool aesthetic and music. Likes others said it, reminds of VVVVVV, a game I loved which was at times ball-achingly hard, but never frustrating with it.

Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 03:11:06 PM »

Thanks for playing! I think most people can agree that the walljump is the biggest fault of this game. It's just too awkward for most people and doesn't work well in small corridors like that. I've done a super meat boy type walljump before with a short wallstick so you don't slide off, and have more time to plan your jump. It's a shame so many people never get to world 3, because I think that has the most fun/balanced levels. Oh well, I won't be using walljumps again for some time. But when I do I'll go back to the old style.

Thanks again for playing Smiley
Ancient Account
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 04:44:02 AM »

reminds of VVVVVV
The graphics resemble VVVVVV, while the platforming resembles Super Meat Boy.
Breakdown
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2014, 04:34:00 PM »

Hope you're still watching this topic.

This is a really fun game.  Solid challenge, cool jumping puzzles, awesome soundtrack, and just all around fun to play.

I don't have a lot to add in terms of critique, but add me to the list of people who can't wait for a version with a title screen and an actual ending instead of just closing (seriously, a simple "Congratulations" screen that goes back to the title would be plenty).  And with the title, a couple options there would be nice.  New Game, Load Save Game, Music On/Off is really all you would need.  Being able to start a new game without deleting the save file would be a plus, and while I love the music, being able to have this run quiet in the background at times could be useful.

Anything else I'd bring up seems to fall into the realm of "it's not a bug, it's a feature."  The lack of wall stick is annoying at times, but there's other places you really need to not stick to the wall, so I get the choice.  The velocity power up is a little unruly too.  5-7 is the one stage in the game that seriously feels unfair, and it's definitely the velocity's fault, but at the same time 5-9 is a really cool stage, and if velocity was toned down it wouldn't work.  Good with the bad I suppose.

Again, really good job on this game, and I hope you continue to polish it, maybe for an actual release.  I, for one, would definitely pay for this.  And finally, you might get a kick out of this, in my experience devs tend to like seeing their games played.

EDIT: One last thing, the QWER stage select is a cool feature, but do you have a key for the 5th set of levels?  T doesn't work currently, and it'd be nice to be able to practice those without playing through the entire world.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 04:52:10 AM by Breakdown » Logged
Jupitron
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2014, 09:09:56 AM »

Hi! It´s true that looks similar to VVVVV but it has some style for itself while playing.

First world difficulty is awesome. I just wanted to keep playing.

Second world difficulty goes up very quick to my taste, wall jump needs a few more levels to get used, its easy to understand but the cube has "strange" physics or inertia, i dont know how to say it, that summed up to the wall jump makes a combination that, to me, need more time to get used to, like I´ve been forced to learn the mechanics in a very hard enviroment.

Graphics are awesome. Music is ok.

I´ll keep playing, the game is excellent and I really appreciate your work.
Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2014, 04:09:44 PM »

• stupid name
  • bad controls
  • cant see where i'm going
  • lazy graphics
  • good level design
  • awesome music

Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2014, 11:39:39 AM »

Hope you're still watching this topic.

This is a really fun game.  Solid challenge, cool jumping puzzles, awesome soundtrack, and just all around fun to play.

I don't have a lot to add in terms of critique, but add me to the list of people who can't wait for a version with a title screen and an actual ending instead of just closing (seriously, a simple "Congratulations" screen that goes back to the title would be plenty).  And with the title, a couple options there would be nice.  New Game, Load Save Game, Music On/Off is really all you would need.  Being able to start a new game without deleting the save file would be a plus, and while I love the music, being able to have this run quiet in the background at times could be useful.

Anything else I'd bring up seems to fall into the realm of "it's not a bug, it's a feature."  The lack of wall stick is annoying at times, but there's other places you really need to not stick to the wall, so I get the choice.  The velocity power up is a little unruly too.  5-7 is the one stage in the game that seriously feels unfair, and it's definitely the velocity's fault, but at the same time 5-9 is a really cool stage, and if velocity was toned down it wouldn't work.  Good with the bad I suppose.

Again, really good job on this game, and I hope you continue to polish it, maybe for an actual release.  I, for one, would definitely pay for this.  And finally, you might get a kick out of this, in my experience devs tend to like seeing their games played.

EDIT: One last thing, the QWER stage select is a cool feature, but do you have a key for the 5th set of levels?  T doesn't work currently, and it'd be nice to be able to practice those without playing through the entire world.

Holy shit I didn't know people still liked this game! Hell, maybe I should just remake the whole thing at this point, same graphics, same music non-shit walljump, less uber hard learning curve, actual ending, title screen, etc. Also know that you've murderd my fastest time of 15:02 haha.

Oh and he's a tip. On World 1 level 3, go straight left and fall through the hole. You can skip all of that jumping. Should save a little bit of time.

And I'm serious about remaking it, I'll start now Wink http://gamejolt.com/games/get-out-of-my-way-i-m-trying-to-eat-you/news/remake-is-coming/14113/
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 11:50:41 AM by Beanallean » Logged
Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2014, 11:42:17 AM »

Hi! It´s true that looks similar to VVVVV but it has some style for itself while playing.

First world difficulty is awesome. I just wanted to keep playing.

Second world difficulty goes up very quick to my taste, wall jump needs a few more levels to get used, its easy to understand but the cube has "strange" physics or inertia, i dont know how to say it, that summed up to the wall jump makes a combination that, to me, need more time to get used to, like I´ve been forced to learn the mechanics in a very hard enviroment.

Graphics are awesome. Music is ok.

I´ll keep playing, the game is excellent and I really appreciate your work.

Thanks, first world is my favorite. It's the only part of the game that's 100% perfect (for my standards). I'll fix world 2 in the remake, I know it's tough.
  • stupid name
  • bad controls
  • cant see where i'm going
  • lazy graphics
  • good level design
  • awesome music
Thanks? I think? I do agree with the controls though, well for the walljump at least. Walljump is shit. I'll fix it Smiley
Zeusington
Level 0

Core Gaming Isn't Dead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2014, 05:20:43 PM »

I was going to write a wall of text, but looking at the other posts they pretty much said it all. I'd make that wall jump a priority, but it's otherwise a surprising treat despite my initial skepticism!

If you can pull out a bunch more content I'd put down money on this. Godspeed. Gentleman
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2014, 05:28:32 PM »

I think I saw this on freeindiegam.es and played it a while back, I liked it! Personally I loved the graphics, and I wouldn't call them lazy at all. Smiley

Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2014, 06:59:28 PM »

I was going to write a wall of text, but looking at the other posts they pretty much said it all. I'd make that wall jump a priority, but it's otherwise a surprising treat despite my initial skepticism!

If you can pull out a bunch more content I'd put down money on this. Godspeed. Gentleman

Thanks! But do note that I'm mainly working on perfecting what's already there. I've already redone the whole engine for the game (but it still has the same feel) to make it easier for people who aren't as 'platform savvy.' So I'll be redoing a lot of levels, but not adding a whole lot. I also want to try making a level editor for some player made content.

However, I am adding another powerup. One that will SERIOUSLY shake up the gameplay.

Also I don't think It'll still be freeware. I'll definitely put it on itch though. So if you want to donate you can. But if I do end up making it cost money, it'll probably be $2.99 or $4.99.

I think I saw this on freeindiegam.es and played it a while back, I liked it! Personally I loved the graphics, and I wouldn't call them lazy at all. Smiley

Haha thanks. They are kinda lazy though. I'm not the best digital artist, so whatever is easiest works for me. Someday I'll make a game with traditional art, and it'll be awesome.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 07:08:50 PM by Beanallean » Logged
Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2014, 12:43:12 PM »

Hey guys, I thought I'd come back to this one and fix some things, add some new levels, and change some bad features. Make sure you check out the rewritten description to see all of the new changes and maybe give it a play. I'd love to hear what you think of the game!
TriStarch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2014, 12:52:05 PM »

This was really fun!  The controls have a lot of my pet peeves (floaty jump, lots of momentum, and wallstick even when you haven't moved toward the wall), but since the levels were designed around those elements it still played great.

I actually played the old version a while back and gave up near the end of world 5, I think.  But on this version I beat the main 6 worlds so it's definitely a lot more accessible now (world 6 is still a bastard, though Tongue).

The level design is great for the most part.  The wall jumping segments are really fun.  The bouncing bullets were pretty obnoxious in some places, though.  The one where you go to the left and there's two trampolines after a little wall jump section sticks out.  There was so much stuff going on that there was no sane way to navigate it, so I just found the right timing to jump over everything after some trial and error.

Music is great and the graphics are okay.  I wish the player had some features and charm to it like the wall heads, though.

Miscellaneous bugs/suggestions:

• Why is alt+f4 fullscreen? Shocked
  • It would be nice to have walls with spikes that will come out have an indicator, like the first pixel of the spikes poking through.
  • I got stuck one time going to world 6.  I think I went through the wall and into the room with the entry portal.  I couldn't see myself anywhere.
  • Level select is weird.  I have to jump over the first ones or I go in but after that, I press up to go in.

Anyhow, nice work!  Any hints on how to get to the glitch world?
Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2014, 03:31:42 PM »

This was really fun!  The controls have a lot of my pet peeves (floaty jump, lots of momentum, and wallstick even when you haven't moved toward the wall), but since the levels were designed around those elements it still played great.

I actually played the old version a while back and gave up near the end of world 5, I think.  But on this version I beat the main 6 worlds so it's definitely a lot more accessible now (world 6 is still a bastard, though Tongue).

The level design is great for the most part.  The wall jumping segments are really fun.  The bouncing bullets were pretty obnoxious in some places, though.  The one where you go to the left and there's two trampolines after a little wall jump section sticks out.  There was so much stuff going on that there was no sane way to navigate it, so I just found the right timing to jump over everything after some trial and error.

Music is great and the graphics are okay.  I wish the player had some features and charm to it like the wall heads, though.

Miscellaneous bugs/suggestions:

• Why is alt+f4 fullscreen? Shocked
  • It would be nice to have walls with spikes that will come out have an indicator, like the first pixel of the spikes poking through.
  • I got stuck one time going to world 6.  I think I went through the wall and into the room with the entry portal.  I couldn't see myself anywhere.
  • Level select is weird.  I have to jump over the first ones or I go in but after that, I press up to go in.

Anyhow, nice work!  Any hints on how to get to the glitch world?

Glad you enjoyed it! Also mega kudos for beating world 6. It feels good when people enjoy your game enough to play it and even better when they get good enough to complete it.

- alt f4 is game maker default fullscreen. I honestly forgot about it, but I probably won't get rid of it since it isn't really a problem.
- I sort of agree with this but I don't think it's a problem. If they went up by proximity as opposed to a timer, than I'd consider it. Plus they can only kill you when they're fully extended, so when they first come out you have some time to react.
- I'm really surprised I haven't heard this before actually. I've never been able to do it, so I assumed it wasn't possible. Basically you're moving so many pixels per second that the collision checker doesn't have time to react, and you glitch through the wall. This can only happen when you're in the middle of a screenwrap.
- I noticed this too, and I don't know why it's happening. And it only seems to happen with the first level (at least in my experience). I'd change it, but I don't know what's wrong...

Sorry for giving the same answers for all of them, I'm just a bit tired of this game and want to move onto something else. There are some things I might consider adding in the future though... maybe...

You've probably seen the glitch world before but forgotten about it. Go to world 1-10, and  you'll understand. Thanks again for playing the new, and old, version!
TriStarch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2014, 05:42:20 PM »

Beat the glitch world.  Smiley

Pretty fun stuff, that last level was a killer though.  The only new suggestion would be to make it tougher to accidentally start a new game and overwrite your save file (oops).  That and a level editor would be pretty sweet.
Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2014, 06:49:57 PM »

Beat the glitch world.  Smiley

Pretty fun stuff, that last level was a killer though.  The only new suggestion would be to make it tougher to accidentally start a new game and overwrite your save file (oops).  That and a level editor would be pretty sweet.

As fun as a level editor would be, I honestly don't think it would be worth the effort because very few people would actually use it, and I wouldn't have a good way to upload levels into the game. That being said, I'll try if I do find a good way to do it and there are people that want it. I would definitely enjoy seeing what people create Smiley
Dazm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2014, 02:44:34 AM »

This game is really good and the music match perfectly. Nice job.

Hey, my name is David. I make some games. <br />Check my first game : STOORM<br />
Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2014, 09:44:13 AM »

This game is really good and the music match perfectly. Nice job.

Thanks!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic