Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:40:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsStarDiver - Scifi Space Romp[PC,Mac,Linux, Consoles]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: StarDiver - Scifi Space Romp[PC,Mac,Linux, Consoles]  (Read 30965 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2014, 02:40:47 AM »

This week we spent a lot of time making gas giants come to life w flowing bands of gassy awesomeness:
I misread that as "glowing" (since the image kinda looks like it is). Would be a pretty neat effect if used sparingly, don't you think?
friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2014, 04:58:40 PM »

This week we spent a lot of time making gas giants come to life w flowing bands of gassy awesomeness:
I misread that as "glowing" (since the image kinda looks like it is). Would be a pretty neat effect if used sparingly, don't you think?

Hmmm glowing gas bands.... gives me another idea I really want to do too. Localized flashes of storm activity in the bands. Sadly, I really need to be implementing basic game functionality instead. If I keep at the little flashy stuff I'll have a great looking screensaver instead of a game. It is hard when I actually have more fun as a developer doing the flashy stuff Smiley

friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2014, 04:59:35 PM »

Struggle as we may, we couldn't get where we wanted to with our sketch art so we commissioned the help of more skilled artist. I'm very pleased with the progress from our sketch concepts to something more usable ingame without a clashing style shift. Feedback please:

orig sketch art:

New artists prepaint of alien on starship bridge. Time to chop and animate:

FuzzySlippers
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2014, 07:05:53 PM »

Everything you post is amazing. Developing a followup to SC2 has always been a dream project for me and I'm impressed with the progress.

friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2014, 12:39:48 PM »

Everything you post is amazing. Developing a followup to SC2 has always been a dream project for me and I'm impressed with the progress.

Thanks for the kind words. It has been a 20+ year dream of mine to make a StarFlight, StarControl like game. I think it is high time someone makes a new epic space romp. I just hope all said and done our game deserves to be mentioned in context of the great games of yesteryear.

friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2014, 02:19:31 PM »

We are planning on doing something similar to Homeworld for story telling -- Using concept art shots. We want to make it a bit more dramatic / alive so we are layering our scenes so we can spread the depth and do some pan/zoom. Add a grain, a bloom, and it comes to life a bit. I'm thinking we can get a lot of mileage from a handful of still scenes, and some good voice acting. Thoughts?

sample (stiff manual camera test w low rez gif):

zoom:

pan:

clouds:

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2014, 02:52:39 PM »

I like that idea!

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2014, 07:42:39 PM »

We are planning on doing something similar to Homeworld for story telling -- Using concept art shots. We want to make it a bit more dramatic / alive so we are layering our scenes so we can spread the depth and do some pan/zoom. Add a grain, a bloom, and it comes to life a bit. I'm thinking we can get a lot of mileage from a handful of still scenes, and some good voice acting. Thoughts?

Looks good, but try to keep the words reasonably brief or a lot of people will skip it.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2014, 03:45:25 AM »

Well, I say it depends on writing, voice-acting and if it fits the genre. Games like Baldur's Gate and Homeworld had fantastic narration, for example. Never felt like it was a wall of text. But it also fit the genre there - neither games were exactly about twitch gameplay.
friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2014, 06:46:54 AM »

Well, I say it depends on writing, voice-acting and if it fits the genre. Games like Baldur's Gate and Homeworld had fantastic narration, for example. Never felt like it was a wall of text. But it also fit the genre there - neither games were exactly about twitch gameplay.

Good point. I like to think of what we are making as a story driven adventure above all else. I have my fingers crossed we can find some top notch voice talent when it comes time for our voiceover and narration work.

friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2014, 11:04:07 AM »

Here is my earliest animation attempt from our colored sketch art:

Here is the near final idle animation w/ newest art and ingame effects (note gif compression bands the gradients terribly):

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2014, 11:12:14 AM »

Gorgeous!

These gifs are so heavy in bandwidth, maybe a static picture + link to youtube would be better? Or using http://gfycat.com/
friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2014, 11:24:52 AM »

Gorgeous!

These gifs are so heavy in bandwidth, maybe a static picture + link to youtube would be better? Or using http://gfycat.com/

I just looked at gfycat, cool site thanks. Does this forum support the html5 videos it makes though? If so I'm not figuring it out.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2014, 12:16:49 PM »

Not that I know of.
friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2014, 09:11:02 AM »

Our next two alien races are ready for animation. Hopefully I'll have both ingame and animated next week:

The Lopik, a telekinetic race:

The Krex:

Also next week, we are working on the storyline intro sequence. The current plan is to get the intro sequence, and alien dialog system in place so we can make an end to end promo video showing story, exploration, alien interaction, and combat. It seems like a minimum needed to get the idea of what the game is about across in a video, especially for gamers unfamiliar with starflight/starcontrol type games from a couple decades ago.

Misc. dev videos of progress over the last few weeks:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/stardiver/videos

friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2014, 12:10:50 PM »

All the arm segments were fun to cutup and get rigged Smiley

First go at krex idle animation (note the particles won't loop in a gif):

Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2014, 01:36:42 PM »

This looks great! I really love the reworked art! The animation looks really cool.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Really unearthly creature designs! KissHand Thumbs Up Right
friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2014, 10:31:15 AM »

This looks great! I really love the reworked art! The animation looks really cool.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Really unearthly creature designs! KissHand Thumbs Up Right

Thanks for the input! I love feedback... helps so that our devlog doesn't feel like a black hole Smiley

The Lopik is now animated:

FuzzySlippers
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2014, 03:49:25 PM »

Hot damn this just keeps looking more and more amazing. Really good design on these aliens. If you go the crowd funding route at some point I'm in day 1.

friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2014, 09:56:30 PM »

Hot damn this just keeps looking more and more amazing. Really good design on these aliens. If you go the crowd funding route at some point I'm in day 1.

Gentleman That is what we LOVE to hear.... more fuel for for the dev furnace  Gentleman

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic