Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:02:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTiny Dangerous Dungeons
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Tiny Dangerous Dungeons  (Read 17505 times)
AdventureIslands
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 08, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »

Tiny Dangerous Dungeons is a spin-off game/sort-of sequel for my very first game Dangerous Dungeons I created years ago. Unlike the original game, where you proceeded from one level to next, Tiny DD is a metroidvania and it's using just 4 colors, inspired by original Game Boy.

The main character Timmy can freely explore the various rooms of the dungeon by going back and forth through doors. He needs to explore, find hidden power ups and solve puzzles to reach the end of the dungeon and presumably a huge treasure.

I'm mainly developing it for Flash for big flash game portals, but mobile version could be a possibility after the main game is finished. I'm aiming to get the game finished before 15th day for the Stencyl Jam 13: http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,25813.0.html

Finished:
-All graphical assets from player sprites to dungeon tiles
-All the main power ups.
-Maximum health increasing hidden optional powerups.
-Enemy and trap designs and functions
-Save points.
-Main menu
-Design for the whole dungeon's map
-Every room
-Final Boss fight.
-Ending and credits

Work in progress:
-

Some gif animations of the game in action:
Movement testing
Throwing knives
Item get!
Life Fruits
Save Statue in use

Follow me on:
Twitter
Facebook

« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 03:48:54 PM by AdventureIslands » Logged
SciophobiaProj
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 10:13:50 AM »

This looks super cool. The art style is great, from the looks of it you're using Gameboy Classic art restrictions right?
AdventureIslands
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 10:22:54 AM »

I started the game as an entry for Game Boy Jam: http://gbjam.net/ but real life is getting on my way so I am not sure if I can get the thing done for 10th. However, Stencyl Jam is still going on and I aim to submit it to it.

I'm restricting myself to 4 colors. They are not quite the actual Game Boy green colors, but I wanted to pick a palette that was easy on my eyes, and green is iconic color for the original DD.
Little Nando
Level 1

Working on Tough Coded Project

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 10:55:46 AM »

Yayy! Am following this project now  Corny Laugh

Little Nando / Twitter / Blog
Mauricio Gomes
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 11:08:10 AM »

Question: Why you don't use the yellow colour scheme? I think it is more pleasant than this crazy saturated green.

Looking at your screenshot is like if it was kryptonite for my eyes Wink

But other than that, no objections so far =D

My company site: www.kidoteca.com
My blog: www.coderofworlds.com
AdventureIslands
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 11:13:39 AM »

I like this green. and green in general is iconic for the original Dangerous Dungeons.
Mauricio Gomes
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 11:15:58 AM »

Maybe try removing a bit of saturation (not light) from the most background colour (the very light green one), I dunno.

Or saturate it more a bit and remove light.

But to me I perceive it as a sort of "too bright"

My company site: www.kidoteca.com
My blog: www.coderofworlds.com
friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 11:34:36 AM »

My 1.5cents -- I like the green

ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 12:11:04 PM »

Looking good!  I especially approve of it being Adobe Flash Player compatible, since that will make it easier for me to play it Grin

One suggestion I do have though is to maybe use imgur for image hosting; it's a lot easier to use as both the person uploading the images and the person viewing them Smiley  The site is quite a bit cleaner than Photobucket.

AdventureIslands
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 02:43:22 PM »

Looking good!  I especially approve of it being Adobe Flash Player compatible, since that will make it easier for me to play it Grin

One suggestion I do have though is to maybe use imgur for image hosting; it's a lot easier to use as both the person uploading the images and the person viewing them Smiley  The site is quite a bit cleaner than Photobucket.

Thanks for the tip! I might start using that then.

I just added Life Fruits to the game. They are well hidden, optional treasures that increase your max HP. They are the only treasures that are not required to finish the game.

Animated gif: http://imgur.com/gGeAQnd
ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 03:40:23 PM »

Saying "not required" just makes me want to collect them all the more Cheesy

I like how you managed to make the gif loop well Coffee  Also, imgur seems to be working Smiley

AdventureIslands
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 03:56:34 PM »

Saying "not required" just makes me want to collect them all the more Cheesy

I like how you managed to make the gif loop well Coffee  Also, imgur seems to be working Smiley

Life Fruits exist only to make the gameplay easier Smiley At the moment, only way to get back health is to use save points. Although if the game turns out too difficult because of it, I consider adding a chance for enemies to drop small hearts that restore HP.

I could add achievements for collecting and not collecting the Life Fruits. Health Hoarder if you find them both, Corner Cutter if you don't find any. (ie. focused on the main task of getting the treasure instead of exploring around.)
Sam B
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 04:18:02 PM »

Looks so cute and fun! Reminds me of the side-scrolling segments from Link's Awakening!
AdventureIslands
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 04:21:19 PM »

Looks so cute and fun! Reminds me of the side-scrolling segments from Link's Awakening!

They are one of my inspirations Smiley
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 02:27:44 AM »

Ooh, this has potential to be something really impressive! I saw the screenshot in the screenshot saturday thread and immediately came here to see more about the game.

AdventureIslands
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2013, 09:40:43 AM »

Finished the graphics for and working on implementing save point statues. Visiting one heals your hp and saves your game. If you die, the game returns you to last visited one with full HP.

AdventureIslands
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2013, 02:33:27 PM »

Finished implementing Save Statues. Here's a gif animation of one in use.

Next up I'm going to work on doors and link system between the various rooms of the dungeon. Some doors can be always entered, some are well hidden or locked, requiring you to find a key first.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 04:20:54 PM by AdventureIslands » Logged
AdventureIslands
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 04:04:57 PM »

I've finally finished all the features and objects I want to the game and have started to build the levels proper! Currently I have 3 rooms of the total of 20 finished. I try to get 1/3 of the dungeon done tomorrow.

Here's some screenshots from the earliest areas:

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2013, 04:26:12 PM »

The more I see of this game, the more I want to play it! When you get a key or item, is there any way to check if you have it or not? I assume there might be a menu or inventory, since health is the only thing shown on the HUD.

AdventureIslands
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2013, 04:33:57 PM »

The more I see of this game, the more I want to play it! When you get a key or item, is there any way to check if you have it or not? I assume there might be a menu or inventory, since health is the only thing shown on the HUD.

Yes, pressing esc pauses the game and show your current found items:

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic