Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1056517 Posts in 42907 Topics- by 34858 Members - Latest Member: bratman

October 23, 2014, 09:51:31 AM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsFairy Striker
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Fairy Striker  (Read 615 times)
Squirrelsquid
Pixelhead
Level 1

oh! you need that nut?

78633171 Squirrelsquid@hotmail.de
View Profile
« on: November 12, 2013, 03:23:12 AM »

It's been a while since I made a game solo and I initially wasn't planing to make dev log for it, but here I am presenting you this little game I have been working on.

Fairy Striker is a sidescrolling "Slash em up". so instead of primarily shooting things, you slash at them with a sword and a throwable axe sub weapon. Content will be fairly slim ( 3 stages + 1 extra stage ), so that I can get this done in a semi time effective manner.

The game features a flipping mechanic, so that you can change your facing from left to right and vice versa as well as some slight RPG elements, like status effect and an RPG inspired smartbomb system.

There will be 2 primary characters in this game/story:

α

Alpha is the playable character in this game, and the last hope for "Fairytopia".

Ω

Omega in contrast is the antagonistic "sister" of "Alpha-tan" seeking to destroy Fairytopia.

In terms of content, a lot of work needs to be done on the graphical assets still, but I've ventured quite far on the audio side already.
That you can conveniently listen to by
clicking the 3 elemental Jellos.

In terms of the coding side of this, I am currently working with placeholder graphics to get all player character features in, while still allowing them to be tweakable ingame for the fancy buffs and debuffs. ( Also there is some rudimentary Jello behavior in there already )

Better images will follow as soon as I'm not on this netbook anymore. Hopefully this dev log will motivate me to work on the code more frequently.
Squirrelsquid
Pixelhead
Level 1

oh! you need that nut?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 12:36:51 PM »

Here's some better non zoomed in look on some of the assets, including the brand new "Steam Mage" enemy.
On the coding front I worked in the 3 slash combo. I wanted to make a gif, but the recording tool failed on me. >;

Also working on the "Extra Stage" music alongside with the game over and menu jingles.
Andy Wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 01:02:07 PM »

This is looking really crisp.
It's good to see you making stuff again

DrunkDevs
Level 1

Drink beer and make games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 01:22:03 PM »

Looks gorgeous. Can't wait to see it in motion.

Want more Drunk Devs?
DrunkDevs.com / Facebook / Twitter

Current Devlog:
Kegbot
Squirrelsquid
Pixelhead
Level 1

oh! you need that nut?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 01:57:41 PM »

thanks guys. Smiley I've always been doing stuff, but sometimes my focus shifts and I rarely get my private works into playable form, because of commissions. (also my gameideas tend to be overly large >.>; )

I think this project is reasonable small.

It will feature a hand full of enemies, 3 stages with a boss on each and a color swapped rival. And likely some form of extra stage, possibly in the form of a 3 minute run for points mode. Smiley

I've started to animate the jellies, albeit atm it is a simple timing .gif, but I guess it's better than no motion in this topic either way.
Squirrelsquid
Pixelhead
Level 1

oh! you need that nut?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 11:17:42 AM »

update on the assets: I was sick of seeing the same pattern of bricks all the time, so I started on some pillars and took some old clouds and threw em in there.

I also finished the music for the extra stage,
Konidias
Level 4

konidias
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 12:20:16 PM »

I really think you need to lower the contrast/detail on the background elements.

Typically the foreground elements have a lot of contrast/detail while background elements are very low contrast/detail in order to better tell them apart.

Right now the bricks/clouds are competing with the characters/enemies for attention.

Squirrelsquid
Pixelhead
Level 1

oh! you need that nut?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 12:32:49 PM »

Thanks for the feedback! You'r right about the contrast issue.
I tend to get lost in detail a little too often.
Keep in mind though, that the grey bricks connecting to the pillars are actually foreground elements. They will actually not be seperated like that either, but rather will form long floors and ceilings. The clouds definitely have some issues with thw rest of the graphics but are only placeholder material for bow.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 01:47:53 PM »

I like the original low-resolution pictures more than the higher-resolution ones. Sorry..! Smiley

SpaceHero Command ... In Development
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=23173.0
Squirrelsquid
Pixelhead
Level 1

oh! you need that nut?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 01:53:50 PM »

It's allright. Lol
I wish I could have it more pixely, but the rather big object size only works with such a resolution. I "could" lower the resolution a little, but then again, the current res allows for an exact 2x upscale for full HD. That should still look considerably pixely.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic