Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411503 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:52:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsSeveral Unity tutorials: extension methods, 2D games, and more
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Several Unity tutorials: extension methods, 2D games, and more  (Read 3370 times)
invicticide
Level 0

@invicticide

View Profile WWW
« on: November 12, 2013, 09:50:34 PM »

So, I remembered that I have an old TIGS account that I forgot to use for like three years because I'm dumb. Sad

In that time, I published a handful of Unity tutorials which seem to have been well-received. In case you haven't already seen them on my own site or Gamasutra, I figured I'd post 'em here:

Adding To Unity’s Built-In Classes Using Extension Methods
This tutorial explains how to use C# extension methods to add functionality to classes you don’t own, like those built in to Unity or those provided by third-party plugins.

Doing Thumbstick Dead Zones Right
Thumbstick dead zones seem simple at first blush, but taking the naive approach typically leads to mushy and unresponsive sticks. This tutorial explains why the naive approach fails and details a few more sophisticated methods for various applications.

Making 2D Games With Unity
In this tutorial I describe my process for achieving a sprite-based 2D look in Unity’s 3D environment. (This one's a little outdated since 4.3 and the new 2D tools came out today, but posterity!)

Recycling Object Instances
Instantiating objects in Unity is a high-cost operation. This article presents a higher-performance method for recycling objects instead of creating and destroying them on-the-fly. (I just developed a better way of doing this, like, yesterday, so I'll probably write a new tutorial or something soon.)

Setting Up OUYA for Unity
This tutorial helps you set up a deployment pipeline from Unity to the OUYA game console. It shows where to obtain the necessary SDK and plugins and how to install and configure them, how to set up a Unity Android project that’s compatible with the OUYA, and how to deploy to your test hardware.

Using External Version Control With Unity
Unity provides their own Asset Server VCS, but it’s a separate license. If you’d rather use your own — Perforce, Subversion, Git or Mercurial, etc. — then this tutorial is for you!

These have been kinda fun to write, and I feel like I understand things better after I've tried to teach them to someone else, so if you're reading this like "but dude how do I X" then tell me and maybe I'll write about that.

megameta
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 01:11:55 PM »

Thanks for putting these together! Some of them were especially critical in helping me to understand intermediate coding concepts.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic