Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:41:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNot Enough Hours
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Not Enough Hours  (Read 1391 times)
mitDebo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 20, 2013, 12:56:16 AM »

A simulation game about the difficulties of juggling a job, social life, responsibilities, and game dev

Hey guys, this isn't my first game, but it's the first one I've decided to do a Devlog of.

This game is also probably the most personal game I've made, as it deals with my frustrations in having to juggle a full time job, my relationships, and responsibilities, all while trying to make games on the side and find the time to better my skills in both game development and artwork. I imagine a number of us here can relate, though I ask you forgive the overly navel gazing tone.

I have the basic mechanics of the game already plugged in, and have spent the past few days churning out the artwork, which means I can finally show a little off.

Some of the animations of the main character

The plan is for the game to be 100% by me, including music (which will likely be a disaster, but we'll see). I hope to have it done within a month or so.

Don't really have a name for it yet; still thinking about that one. For now for the purposes of this thread, I'll simply call it "Project Time Management" until I come up with something better.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 11:16:41 PM by mitDebo » Logged
DanDecarlo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 10:55:11 AM »

Will it be available only for PC? What tools will you use for development?

mitDebo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 11:16:15 AM »

Love the art style! This immediately takes me back to the first room in Zak McKracken. Good luck with this project.

Thanks! I actually have never played Zak McKracken, but I assume you're talking about this room? http://www.zak-site.com/index_files/zak1.gif I actually need to add in a desk on the left side of that screenshot I submitted, so it's going to resemble that even more soon!

Will it be available only for PC? What tools will you use for development?

Whoops, sorry I forgot to include this information. It's a flash game, being built using the Flixel framework (as that's the AS3 framework I'm most familiar with). So it should run on anything that can run Flash. In fact, it's being designed to use only the mouse, so I think it should probably be okay even on Android devices, but no promises.

When it's done, I'll probably post it to my site, Kongregate and Newgrounds.

Tools are pretty standard stuff. FlashDevelop for code, Photoshop for art. I haven't started on music or sound yet, but when I do, I'll likely use sfxr for sound effects and Bosca Ceoil (http://distractionware.com/blog/2013/09/bosca-ceoil-v1-1/) for music.
compostface
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 12:49:19 PM »

I can't stop watching the beam of light.

mitDebo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 11:16:26 PM »

It's been a while since I've updated this, and honestly I had hoped I would have a bit more when I did. But regardless, have what I believe it going to be the title screen:

Also, in case you haven't noticed, I think I've settled on a name for my game.
0x0961h
Level 2

Quantum Demon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 02:36:56 AM »

I can't stop watching the beam of light.
Yup, me too. Droop

It's been a while since I've updated this
Because you have... not enough hours to do this? *yeah.png*

Nah, just kidding. Looks very oldschool-ish and theme "Oh god, I wish it'll be 52 hours in a day" is very close to many of us, so... Yeah, subscribed to updates. Hope, you'll find a few hours to post 'em. Wink

Cathay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 10:35:23 AM »

In case you ever feel like doing the music by yourself is actually a complete disaster, I could help you out with a few tracks. God knows I can empathize with the subject matter.

https://soundcloud.com/cathaysanssoleil/wheel

... by the way I really like the art style and *sigh* animation...!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic