Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:58:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWrack - The cel-shaded, arcade-style FPS!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Wrack - The cel-shaded, arcade-style FPS!  (Read 7761 times)
Carnevil
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2013, 07:45:04 AM »

Greetings!

My name is Brad Carney, and I'm the lead developer behind a new indie FPS called Wrack, which is now out on Steam! It's currently in beta and is getting updates every two weeks.

As much as I would love to tell you about the game, wouldn't it be much better to show you? Yes, I thought so too! You can check out the game in action by watching the trailer

. (Sadly, I can't embed this!)

You can read more about the game here. Bottom line: It's a fast-paced arcade-style FPS complete with bosses and kill chains with all sorts of neat extras like a level editor. Fun! Smiley

MEDIA

Here are a few screenshots from the game:

AVAILABILITY

Hope you decide to check it out! If so, you can grab this off of Steam, and a few other places as well.

Questions and comments are appreciated.

Thanks everyone!
Mauricio Gomes
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 07:46:55 AM »

Seeing the green pool, and the other pics made me think the best description for this is:

Doom 1 crossed with XIII

My company site: www.kidoteca.com
My blog: www.coderofworlds.com
Carnevil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 07:49:47 AM »

I'm also pleased to announce that our first biweekly updates is here!

What's new in this update? Here are some of the highlights:

• Fixes galore! – Numerous crashes and glitches have been fixed, including ones that allowed you to travel outside of the map.
  • Featured maps! – At least, we have featured maps! Two are fun speedrun maps, and another is a challenging map, for the few of you who think Wrack is too easy!
  • Gameplay improvements! – Wrack is now more fast-paced at all difficulty levels (except the last one). This affects Time Attack and Score Attack mode as well.
  • Font improvements! – Remade the main game font, and enlarged it slightly to make it easier to read. Speaker colors have also been updated.
  • ... and plenty more!
If you'd like, you can read more about this update here. If you've already got the game on Steam, you should get this update automatically. Hooray! \o/

More to come!
Dragonmaw
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 08:01:19 AM »

Has potential. The two biggest issues I have with it so far are:

1.) Animations are stiff and unwieldy. Weapon animations in particular lack the sort of punch and snap you expect from shooting games. The weapons also seem to have a slightly too slow fire rate; could use a slight tweak to be faster.

2.) Enemies are okay, but they are missing three things: great animations, ragdolls, and numbers. Much like the guns, the monster animations are stiff and lack the snap of a good animation. As for ragdoll, it seems silly to criticize an old-school game fo not having it, but it really does add to the enjoyment to see goofy physics effects. Finally, there never seems to be that many enemies on screen at once, so there's no real challenge unless you do a sword playthrough.

Overall, really promising stuff, but definitely needs tweaks to truly capture that frantic, pounding Doom style. I suggest reading Vlambeer's postmortem on GUN GODZ to help.
mrKaizen
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 08:42:32 AM »

I like it - the green levels are a bit too saturated and some enemies could be a bit nicer but the video impressed me! It looks like a fun game.
Great job, guys! Nice to see your game on Steam. Smiley

Question: what technology do you use?

Carnevil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 09:48:40 AM »

Thanks everyone! :D

@mrKaizen: It's a new engine from scratch! It was a ton of work, but the results are well worth it I think.

@Dragonmaw: Yeah, we're looking to upgrade the animations. We've got a couple of guys working on them now, so things ought to improve on that front.
Carnevil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 09:17:53 AM »

We're working on getting the railgunners all finished up for the next update. Here's a shot of their new trails:

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 09:50:30 AM »

Looking good.

I checked out the trailer, which is sweet by the way. At 0:47, did the player just shoot at the ground to launch himself up? Because that's pretty awesome.

Carnevil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »

Oh yes! Smiley Rocket jumping FTW! It hurts a lot right now, but coming soon there will be an object that makes rocket jumping a lot more practical.
Carnevil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 01:23:59 PM »

BTW, it's on sale right now as part of Steam's Autumn Sale! You can get it right now for 40% off!
Carnevil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 10:39:40 AM »

We've got a trailer out for the next update called "Reach for the Skybox"! This one shows off all sorts of new stuff in the updates, like new skyboxes, new kill chain/combo graphics, etc. Sadly, I can't embed it! Sad

Enjoy!

Carnevil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 07:51:47 AM »

The update is out! Found someone who was able to help get the skyboxes done properly so that they don't look like, well... boxes! Tongue So, those are all done now. There's also new combo graphics to make the game feel way more arcade-y. Just need an announcer and those will be totally good to go.

Anyway, full changelog available by clicking the pic. Trailer is available there, too! Smiley
Carnevil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 02:45:46 PM »

The next update is on the way! Here's the trailer for it, called "It's a Trap!" This introduces some new supply crate traps, as well as a beta of Steam Workshop! Enjoy!

Carnevil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 01:35:17 PM »

Our next update is out! We've now got a beta of Steam Workshop going, so you can now browse, play, and submit custom content through WrackEd itself! We haven't had a centralized location for maps and mods up until this point, so this will be quite the nice thing!

Anyway, full changelog available by clicking the pic, which has the trailer too.

... oh yeah, it's also 40% off on Steam right now! Merry Christmas!
Carnevil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 10:49:52 AM »

Yet another update is out! We're going strong! New trooper model, improved bazooka, achievement graphics... all sorts of fun stuff in this next update, which is shown in its trailer!

TurboGun
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 12:49:23 PM »

Looks sick! Was sad Wrack didn't win the Steam community vote. Any plans to get onto the Humble Store?

DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 01:02:51 PM »

I think I remember first catching wind of this whilst lurking on the Zdoom forums a few years back. Always good to see more oldschool styled classic FPS games
Beer!
Carnevil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 12:14:33 PM »

Whoops, somehow this slipped through the cracks! My apologies! Sad

@TurboGun: Yeah, it sucks that it didn't win. Things still turned out alright, but I'm sure things would have turned out better had it won. I wrote an article on the experience here:

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/BradCarney/20140110/208432/The_Impact_of_Launching_a_Game_on_Steam.php

To answer your other question, we'll look into more storefronts and stuff sometime soon! The Humble Store may be one we consider.

@DarkWanderer: Definitely! Smiley

Anywho, our most recent update is out:

There's tons of new modding support in this one - including full Steam Workshop support! Submitting/updating your maps and mods is done through WrackEd (which has a really nice interface for doing so), and playing stuff you subscribe to through Wrack is a breeze! Really excited about this one, as I think this is going to really get things going. There's already some cool mods up, including a new HUD, and of course, Knee-Deep in the Dead!
Carnevil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 06:42:52 AM »

It's that time again... update time! Smiley

This update adds a new level - the extra level for episode 1! (Now I can bump up the completion gauge! Yay!) Plus, it adds a new artifact, the Blast Guard, which allows you to rocket jump much more freely than before! It really opens the levels up and adds more possibilities.

Here's the trailer for it:

Enjoy! Smiley
Carnevil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2014, 09:04:31 AM »

We've got a trailer out for the update coming out on Monday called "Decality!" This one (as you may have guessed) adds decals, which really adds a ton to the overall satisfying nature of wreaking havoc on all these monsters! Really messes the levels up! :D

Enjoy!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic