Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:09:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOni World: Klank's Story - 2D adventure with hand-illustrated HD artwork
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Oni World: Klank's Story - 2D adventure with hand-illustrated HD artwork  (Read 46804 times)
OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: November 20, 2013, 08:07:48 PM »

By chance, a seemingly ordinary warden becomes self-aware and sets out on a journey to discover more about himself, the world, and the impending darkness that threatens all of creation.

What is Klank's Story?
Klank’s Story is a 2D story-oriented adventure/puzzle game filled with pop culture references, countless creatures, nasty Ogres and hidden gems. Run, jump, climb and swing as you find magic-imbued gems, solve puzzles and evade or tackle enemies while you explore the vast lands of Oni World. Stroll around the ruins of previous civilisations, trudge through the swamps and black bayous or talk to the locals to discover hidden secrets.

Gameplay
You are Klank, a newly designed worker Warden set to hit the market and make all other Ogre Wardens obsolete. You, however, through a series of chance events and happenstance, aren't like any of the other models that have gone before you or that come off of the factory line.

Klank, is the only Warden, to be created self aware. In a world inhabited by cruel ogres, pained spirits and sprites, you become swept along on a journey that sees you travel through the dank sewers of Oniopolis, poverty and blight stricken slums, and out into the surreal and lurid lands that make up Oni World.

Inspired by the likes of the Oddworld, Soul Reaver and Rayman series, Oni World: Klank's Story consists of platforming, exploration and puzzle solving, all driven forward by layered narrative. Powered by a custom built game engine, we aim to bring an experience like no other for PC, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS and the OUYA.

In-game screenshots

Features
  • Lore-rich story driven gameplay
  • High definition, hand-illustrated artwork
  • 2D side scrolling puzzle adventure
  • Intuitive, simple controls for keyboard, gamepad and touch devices
  • Completely GUI-free gameplay, allowing for total immersion
  • Explore a rich, vibrant world full of bizzare and wonderful creatures and creations
  • Players will have to run, jump, climb, swing, find crystals and push/pull objects to solve puzzles and tackle (or evade) enemies
  • Klank is a worker robot, so he has no offensive capabilities. Instead, the player must use either the environment or avoid enemies all together.

Game engine
Klank's Story is built on-top of the Oni Engine, a custom, open-source alternative built from the ground up to support console quality 2D games. It's still under heavy development, but the repository is still on GitHub. I work on it as much as I can, and it even got a feature on FlashDaily and AS3 Game Gears. Feel free to pull, fork or clone it - use it for anything you like.

Concept art

Dark consumer

Spore queen

Shroom lighting

GIFs

Videos

Social and stuff
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:31:21 AM by OniWorld » Logged

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 03:29:19 AM »

Shocked

You guys started to work on this project in September 2013 and you've already accomplished two important things:

1) Having a damn catchy and poetic concept
2) Already have a outstanding arts that look so professional and invite everyone to follow you

I'm definitely in!  My Word!

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 09:57:44 AM »

Shocked

You guys started to work on this project in September 2013 and you've already accomplished two important things:

1) Having a damn catchy and poetic concept
2) Already have a outstanding arts that look so professional and invite everyone to follow you

I'm definitely in!  My Word!

Thanks, that really means a lot! We've been really hard at work, it's just two of us (a designer and a programmer) working on writing, marketing and our respective fields. The art and lore of the game is one of it strongest parts, it really adds a sense of depth and immersion that's missing from a lot of games these days - especially on mobile devices. There will be no social sharing or in-app purchases here!

I still get goosebumps reading the story for the game, and I've read and re-read it many times...

Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 01:14:00 PM »

...a side scrolling, platforming adventure with hand-illustrated HD artwork...

Yes please Hand Money Left

my twitter. my itch.io page.
AlphaPlus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 01:46:34 PM »

I'm in love with this art! Impressive concept art too. Can't wait for the game.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Wink

For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been'.
DanDecarlo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 02:08:56 PM »

I wonder what will make it different from other platformer games, aside the art, but it looks great so far.

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 03:12:59 PM »

I wonder what will make it different from other platformer games, aside the art, but it looks great so far.

We have a few core mechanics that we feel are unalike other platformers - we just need to iron them out before we release anything about them really. It's hard to find something that has never been done before, we're not trying to do that.

This isn't the average run, jump, squish platformer mind Wink

AlphaPlus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 06:22:29 PM »

This isn't the average run, jump, squish platformer mind Wink

This needs to be your motto for your game. I'm definitely looking for more story than most platformers. However some puzzle aspects are totally welcome in my book.

For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been'.
Sved
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 06:28:18 PM »

And more weird creatures/robots!

... but that is mostly psychological. Check my devlog!
OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 09:01:08 PM »

This needs to be your motto for your game. I'm definitely looking for more story than most platformers. However some puzzle aspects are totally welcome in my book.

We're all about the narrative! Games should be beautiful and tell a story, not all action action action. The puzzle aspects just add a variety to the gameplay.

And more weird creatures/robots!

Oh trust me, there's loads more Wink

Prads
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 10:18:27 PM »

Art looks gorgeous. Will be watching this. Smiley

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 08:59:11 AM »

Here's some level editor progress for #ScreenshotSaturday. Supports multitouch gestures for secret mobile level editing  Cool

(sorry for the terrible quality)

Alex Higgins
Level 2

@alchiggins on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 09:40:02 AM »

Following!

My Dev Blog! >  Sassy Echidna Software
WIP >  Monsterpunk
Latest Game >  Bloodjak
OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 08:32:05 PM »

Been working on the editor quite a bit recently, got some awesome things down:
  • Camera pan and scale tool
  • Entity picker (move, scale, rotate)
  • Lighting toggle
  • Game layer toggle (to pick only game layer objects)
  • Entity deletion

Going to work on editing entity properties, then adding different types of entities. Wish me luck!

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 11:01:03 PM »

So is the level editor going to be a basic feature for the custom engine you guys are making, or something more specific to the development of this game? It looks like it has some great functionalities already (especially the scale & rotate feature).

I've never done any engine programming myself, and haven't really had to make custom tools to build my game, so just curious how you guys balance between engine dev and gameplay dev.

Also, I think it's super awesome that you're making the engine free and open-source. There should be more transparency with technology in the games industry.  
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 11:14:54 PM by WillyChyr » Logged

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 12:44:38 AM »

So is the level editor going to be a basic feature for the custom engine you guys are making, or something more specific to the development of this game? It looks like it has some great functionalities already (especially the scale & rotate feature).

I've never done any engine programming myself, and haven't really had to make custom tools to build my game, so just curious how you guys balance between engine dev and gameplay dev.

Also, I think it's super awesome that you're making the engine free and open-source. There should be more transparency with technology in the games industry.  

Yeah, the editor is embedded within the engine for anyone to use. It can be used on mobiles and tablets also, so we could effectively give level making abilities to anyone that has a copy of the main game. It also helps people who want to develop games using our engine, including ourselves.

We might let users create their own levels in Klank's Story or a future game, but that's to be decided yet. For now though, it's just to help us quickly make scenes and then once we have more art and solid gameplay designs fleshed out we'll use it to make the game.

In terms of balance, I've been doing a lot of engine development as the programmer while Lloyd is doing art and gameplay development. We chat often about what we want for gameplay and have some ideas down, but it's pointless finalising an idea without prototyping it first. Building a custom engine can take a lot of time, as well as the tools to go with it, but I think it's worth it. I'll know the game and engine inside out, I'll be able to add exactly what we need and like you said - open source awesomeness.

Once me and Lloyd get some more spare time, we're going to sit down and plan out the first scene/act. This means detailed level designs (paper sketches!), then we'll prototype them and then finally get the art in for it. The art we have now is more for pretty things, doesn't affect the gameplay too much but helps give us a feel of what we want.

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 07:57:29 AM »

A quick company update, we've now incorporated Oni Works as a limited company! Huzzah!

migrafael
Level 3

Making games, two at a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 09:10:00 AM »

Very ambitious, especially the part about the engine. Looks great so far and mobile level editing must feel amazing on an iPad.

Art is also 10/10. Keep it up!

BTW, what do you mean by "Lighting toggle"?

On STEAM »
OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 10:10:12 AM »

Very ambitious, especially the part about the engine. Looks great so far and mobile level editing must feel amazing on an iPad.

Art is also 10/10. Keep it up!

BTW, what do you mean by "Lighting toggle"?

Oh it really does... I mean we'll be building this game on the PC, but actually using your hands to create a game level feels so nice.

By lighting toggle I mean it toggles lighting on/off - we have a pretty cool lighting system in. It enables you to edit light entities aswell as see what the scene is like without lighting. There's a lot in the background we haven't shown you guys yet, mainly because we don't feel like we have perfected it enough. We need to really demonstrate lighting to you with a nice game scene, for example.

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2013, 12:17:20 PM »

So alongside the main game, we're also using the Oni Engine to build a minigame - Oni Match. It's similar to candy crush, and will be free and opensource, published on Facebook and hopefully iPads. We're doing it to show off that the engine can be used for almost anything, plus we love open-source!

Screenies:

Check out the source code, and build it, here: https://github.com/samhellawell/oni-match

It's pretty much done now, it's missing top scores and has a few tiny bugs but hey - it's a side project.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic