Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

999290 Posts in 39213 Topics- by 30619 Members - Latest Member: Luux

April 23, 2014, 03:06:22 AM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsThe UnEarth Initiative - Kickstarting!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The UnEarth Initiative - Kickstarting!  (Read 1125 times)
Phastin
Level 0

Might know the first thing about programming

View Profile WWW
« on: November 22, 2013, 09:17:05 AM »

Hello everyone! For about six months now I've been spending my nights and weekends working on a game about colonizing other planets. Last week I stopped all of my paying contracts so that I could work on it full time, and so it seems like a pretty good time to start posting about it too.

Screenshots!
Here's what the game looks like currently:

Movies!

Here's the game's trailer
Here's a quick fly-through from an earlier development build.

So what's it all about?

The UnEarth Initiative is a humorous sci-fi sim where Earth is coping with its overpopulation by sending its least desirable citizens into deep space on poorly equipped colonization crafts. The effort is being billed as 'colonization', but in reality Earth's government would be happy to never hear from any of its misfit colonists again. =)

You play as the manager of a colony ship that has just crash-landed on an alien world. It's your job to lead everyone as they build, mine, and explore their new home. And since your ship was filled with misfits, prisoners, and rebels that Earth didn't want, you'll have your hands full keeping your own citizens in line, even before you meet any aliens...

We're looking to strike a balance between building a well defended home, and also sending colonists out to scout around and scavenge resources as part of (potentially dangerous) away-missions. Every world you play on is procedurally generated, so there's no predicting what sort of threats or opportunities you'll uncover...

Who's working on this?

There's Peter Hastings (me), doing code and design, Lesley Mathieson working on design and story, John Lally doing our modeling, rigging and animation, and Janice Chu doing concept art and texturing.

We're all working hard now to finish a playable demo of the game, and I'm going to try and post updates each week about our progress.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 08:17:48 AM by Phastin » Logged
DrunkDevs
Level 1

Drink beer and make games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 10:33:23 AM »

I like the emphasis on the humans being undesirables. That's a really cool mechanic that I haven't seen before in this style of game. Best of luck to the team on this project.

Want more Drunk Devs?
DrunkDevs.com / Facebook / Twitter

Current Devlog:
Kegbot
Phastin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 04:42:26 PM »

Thanks! Getting the AI to understand and manifest personality quirks is one of the bigger coding challenges in the game. I'll have an update soon to talk about how that's working...
Phastin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 09:23:39 AM »

Time for a Friday update!

Our concept artist, Janice Chu, has written a blog post about how she approached the look of our game:

http://www.inklinggames.com/updates/?p=29

wccrawford
Level 2

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 11:11:30 AM »

It sounds very Douglas Adams-esque.  Wink  I'm looking forward to seeing more of this!
Phastin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 08:18:26 PM »

More Friday update goodness, now on Saturday! (Because I got distracted coding)

Our designer, Lesley Mathieson, talks more about the personality quirks that make each of your colonists special unique (and occasionally kleptomaniacal) snowflakes:

http://www.inklinggames.com/updates/?p=65
Phastin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 01:31:28 PM »

Happy First-Friday-Update-Of-2014 Everyone!

I've spent the week putting together dialogues with alien races. Once you've got your colony set up to the point where you're producing electricity, mining metal, and able to fabricate techy stuff, you're now able to build radio antennas and broadcast your whereabouts into space.
  This means that passing aliens will come to visit and offer to trade for your valuable stuff. Or they might just try to kill you and take your stuff. That's probably going to seem like the more expedient route to a lot of hostile aliens out there... Which reminds me that I should get on with implementing more advanced weaponry...

Also, have you ever put off implementing a major feature for weeks because it seems like a nightmare, but when you finally force yourself to do it, it turns out to be incredibly easy? Well, me too. On Monday I made it possible to script/code the mechanical devices in the game -- making them move around and do work for you. And it turns out integrating a scripting language for the user in a Unity project is really, really, shamefully easy. So easy, in fact, that I had time left over to write a blog post about it.

Follow that link to learn some more about what we're doing with modding your own robots, and getting them to browse the internet and display RSS feeds to your colony. =)
Phastin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 01:43:53 PM »

So, for whatever reason, I appear to be constitutionally unable to post Friday updates on Fridays.

Lesley Mathieson, my partner in crime and game design has posted a blog about how she sees tools, weapons, and machines working in our game: Do please click me.

Phastin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 07:53:37 AM »

It's been a few weeks since I had a chance to post, and the reason is: We've been hard at work polishing the game and preparing for a Kickstarter campaign!

I'd like to get your guys' feedback before we launch. Do please take a look at our gameplay trailer

This trailer will be the first thing that people see of our campaign. Does it make you want to pull out your wallet and give $20 to help make the funniest indie space-colonization-by-former-convicts game that's ever existed?

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 08:15:43 AM by Phastin » Logged
Phastin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 08:23:05 AM »

Folks, we've just launched our Kickstarter campaign, and we could use your help!
Music Vortex
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 04:29:38 AM »

Very nice, I really like the looks of the game. Programming my own robot sounds very cool!
Good luck with the KS Smiley

Jose Mora-Jimenez - Composer
Website | Soundcloud
Phastin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 01:19:20 PM »

Thanks! Now that the coding system works, I've been thinking about extending it so to let players mod more of the game's features. Like writing your own events and story-lines...
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic