Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:21:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsManifold Garden
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 63
Print
Author Topic: Manifold Garden  (Read 394889 times)
William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #360 on: September 03, 2014, 04:13:44 PM »

Hey dude I just wanted to stop by and say I'm loving your game and how it progressed in 2 years. I started following you on facebook and look forward to seeing the game finished!  Hand Metal Right

Thanks so much! I'm really glad to hear that. It has definitely come a long way in 2 years. Also, you just reminded me that I need to update the facebook page more frequently!  Coffee

Lo-Fi
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 03, 2014, 07:00:53 PM »

I might have asked this before, but are you doing anything to indicate the different gravity directions besides just color? Might be difficult for colorblind players.

The_RonJones
Level 0

Ron Jones The Artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #362 on: September 03, 2014, 11:45:08 PM »

Also, you just reminded me that I need to update the facebook page more frequently!   Coffee

lol right sorry, I meant Twitter...

My nipples are Indie...
William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #363 on: September 04, 2014, 08:56:47 PM »

I might have asked this before, but are you doing anything to indicate the different gravity directions besides just color? Might be difficult for colorblind players.

Yes, actually, making the game accessible to as many people as possible, including colorblind players, is really important to me.

Eventually, I'd like to have a option for people to map colors in the game, so that colorblind players can customize it to their liking.

However, there are also several elements in game that can help with gravity direction:

1. There are arrows on the boxes and switches showing which way their respective gravity directions are. This makes it so that the player can deduce which surface they need to be on in order to interact with these elements.

2. It's actually not so important to know which walls are which color, but simply which direction is down. The colored area is always slightly darker than the non-colored areas, so even if one were to look at the game in grayscale, you'd still be able to orient yourself.

Also, you just reminded me that I need to update the facebook page more frequently!   Coffee

lol right sorry, I meant Twitter...

Ah, yes, twitter is really the best place to stay up-to-date with the game. Any big news gets announced there first, and I do post screenshots there quite often.

Sjonsson
Level 0

Multi-hatter. Level design get's the love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: September 05, 2014, 01:52:00 AM »

Just like The_RonJones I just felt like dropping by give you a comment.

When I first saw Relativity it was on a twitter feed I think and honestly I wasn't impressed at all, now that was quite some time ago and I just thought it was "just another puzzle game".

Then I kept on seeing the name Relativity popping up, even in some articles, and now your game actually looks impressive. You've gone far with the art from what it was.

Best of luck and I'm happy to follow your progress, just like The_RonJones! Smiley

Unity-chan is that ex that you'll never get over but on the same time will always regret.
William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #365 on: September 05, 2014, 02:28:55 AM »

DevLog Update #86 - 09/05/2014

Just like The_RonJones I just felt like dropping by give you a comment.

When I first saw Relativity it was on a twitter feed I think and honestly I wasn't impressed at all, now that was quite some time ago and I just thought it was "just another puzzle game".

Then I kept on seeing the name Relativity popping up, even in some articles, and now your game actually looks impressive. You've gone far with the art from what it was.

Best of luck and I'm happy to follow your progress, just like The_RonJones! Smiley

It makes me really glad to hear this! It has definitely taken a lot of work to get here.

You're not alone with regards to your feelings when you first saw the game. When I first started posting screenshots of the game, a lot of the comments were along the lines of "this looks like every other puzzle game - just a bunch of colored boxes in a white room". At the time, I was a little disappointed with the response. But I concluded that it was just because people couldn't see how interesting the mechanic was, and that aesthetics are not that important, so I just dismissed these comments.

Then I went to GDC in March, and asked for feedback from a bunch of developers who I respected a lot, but who didn't know who I was at the time. And pretty much all of their response was "you have an interesting mechanic, but you really need to work on the look of you game".

I decided to finally tackle this problem, and dedicated a full week to only working on the art style. And I am so glad I did. Good visuals makes a tremendous difference. And a lot of it also plays back into the mechanics itself, so you can't try to separate them like I did early on.

I knew this was really making a difference because when I started posting screenshots from this period, people would actually comment about the art style alone, and how that makes them want to play the game, as opposed to "this looks like it might have some potential, but..."

And even now, I still think there is a lot of improvement to be made with the visual style. I still don't know quite how it will evolve (in the same way that last year, I didn't know that the game would look like it does now), but I do plan on keep working at it. Overtime, a lot of small changes will add up to form its own unique look.

Poster and Flyer Design

Anyway, I'm getting ready for the Tokyo Game Show in less than 2 weeks!

Here's a design for the poster I'll have up at the booth:

And here's a design for the flyers I plan to hand out to people to come by. It'll be double sided, with the English version on one side, and the Japanese version on the other.

Any thoughts?

Sjonsson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: September 05, 2014, 04:58:05 AM »

Its really good to hear what you learned from GDC, rough comments from users can really beat you down and sometimes it is indeed very hard to see through and realise what the actual problem is. Maybe its exactly what the users are commenting on or maybe it is something completely different.

The game looks very 'artsy' now in a good manner, there are quite a few bad examples on
being artsy' but I really think you're doing it right.

About those posters, make sure to have one or more japanese people to actually read it through and give you feedback. I haven't been much with japanese but what I learned is is that sometimes the do and say things very differently, even though they have the same intentions. Maybe there is something in your fliers that adresses this cross-cultural thingy! Wink

The layout and looks really good, readable and the pictures are interesting to look at.

Unity-chan is that ex that you'll never get over but on the same time will always regret.
William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #367 on: September 07, 2014, 02:41:36 PM »

DevLog Update #87 - 09/07/2014

Its really good to hear what you learned from GDC, rough comments from users can really beat you down and sometimes it is indeed very hard to see through and realise what the actual problem is. Maybe its exactly what the users are commenting on or maybe it is something completely different.

This quote from Neil Gaiman has always stuck with me:

“Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.”

I think it applies equally well to game design. Often, I find that a lot of problems are best solved through an indirect approach. For example, early on, a lot of people would comment that they'd want to know what color the different walls are, and people suggested things like having different colored grids, having the walls be colored all the time, or some kind of HUD showing wall colors. The problem was that visually, it just looked really awful.

However, when I added arrows to the boxes, it actually fixed this problem, because now, you could deduce which walls were which color based on the boxes in the room. And while that would only show you wall colors for the boxes you have, the other wall colors were actually irrelevant.

Bit Bash & Postcard

I showed Relativity at Bit Bash yesterday, and had a really positive response! I'm still too exhausted to write up too much about it, but do a more detailed post sometime next week.

Also, earlier today, I came up with this idea for a postcard, and was so excited about it, and proceeded to spend the next few hours putting it together.

What do you guys think?

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #368 on: September 07, 2014, 03:05:54 PM »

awesome!

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: September 07, 2014, 08:01:25 PM »

I like the postcard idea!  But I think in that version it's kinda hard to read because each letter is showing a totally different, busy scene, and the letters are pretty thin.  If you look at old 'greetings from' postcards ( http://designyoutrust.com/2012/06/vintage-postcard-travel-designs/ ), I think they used thicker letters and tried to have readable landmarks visible in most letters.  They also don't vary the colors so dramatically between letters, and keep a approximately consistent skyline across most letters' images ...

(Also I have a nitpick-y impulse to move the 'from' a bit closer to the 'Greetings,' and maybe like a couple pixels upwards?  But that's super minor / arguable.)

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #370 on: September 07, 2014, 08:24:20 PM »

I like the postcard idea!  But I think in that version it's kinda hard to read because each letter is showing a totally different, busy scene, and the letters are pretty thin.  If you look at old 'greetings from' postcards ( http://designyoutrust.com/2012/06/vintage-postcard-travel-designs/ ), I think they used thicker letters and tried to have readable landmarks visible in most letters.  They also don't vary the colors so dramatically between letters, and keep a approximately consistent skyline across most letters' images ...

(Also I have a nitpick-y impulse to move the 'from' a bit closer to the 'Greetings,' and maybe like a couple pixels upwards?  But that's super minor / arguable.)

All valid points! This was mostly a proof of concept, and I think it works!

Ya, some of the postcards I saw had a pretty wide gap between "Greetings" and "from", so I added a few more spaces on purpose. But after I posted, I was also thinking that it looked kind of weird and wish I didn't do that.

Good point about the color variation not being so dramatic, and a consistent skyline across the letters. I actually missed that. None of the shots I used worked really well with the letters. Like you said, they are all pretty busy scenes, which work well as standalone screenshots, but not inside the letters. Also should definitely look for an actual thick font. Bold is definitely not enough.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #371 on: September 07, 2014, 08:44:56 PM »

Also, another thing I realized is that I don't have to have a separate image for each letter, but can have one image across two letters, like this one for Kentucky:

I should also add a noise texture on top and lower saturation a bit for the full vintage effect.

Sjonsson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #372 on: September 08, 2014, 05:28:18 AM »

This quote from Neil Gaiman has always stuck with me:

“Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.”

I think it applies equally well to game design. Often, I find that a lot of problems are best solved through an indirect approach. For example, early on, a lot of people would comment that they'd want to know what color the different walls are, and people suggested things like having different colored grids, having the walls be colored all the time, or some kind of HUD showing wall colors. The problem was that visually, it just looked really awful.

However, when I added arrows to the boxes, it actually fixed this problem, because now, you could deduce which walls were which color based on the boxes in the room. And while that would only show you wall colors for the boxes you have, the other wall colors were actually irrelevant.

I think that quote is very applicable indeed. You really have to put up with all those ideas and suggestions, they mean that they care about your game for whatever reason and that's something to value dearly. Finding the solution, like you did with the arrows, that's the hard part. Like you said, an indirect approach is probably the way to go, very case specific of course.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #373 on: September 08, 2014, 06:29:29 AM »

DevLog Update #88 - 09/08/2014

Starting the Japanese localization process today! I think I will make everything bilingual for now, instead of requiring players to switch between English and Japanese.

Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: September 08, 2014, 11:40:39 AM »

I was almost going to ask 'how did you make the katakana possible to read in english too'

then I realized that I know how to read katakana,

....ah, so that's why...
William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: September 08, 2014, 09:06:54 PM »

DevLog Update #89 - 09/09/2014

I was almost going to ask 'how did you make the katakana possible to read in english too'

then I realized that I know how to read katakana,

....ah, so that's why...

I tried learning katakana for a while... but there's just not enough time in the day! But yeah, I would not have understood your question. Smiley

Anyway, continued to work on bilingual UI throughout the day.

Not super happy with the layout, but I think it will work sufficiently well for TGS.

suny
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: September 09, 2014, 12:02:05 AM »

Beautiful Art style, I love it!
Good luck for the TGS Smiley

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #377 on: September 09, 2014, 09:10:42 AM »

Beautiful Art style, I love it!
Good luck for the TGS Smiley

Thanks Suny! Great to hear that.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #378 on: September 09, 2014, 09:22:13 AM »

Oh, and since I haven't officially announced it yet... here it is:

Relativity will be at the Tokyo Game Show this year!

If you're going to be there, come say hi and check out the latest build!

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: September 09, 2014, 12:47:39 PM »

man, i wish i had a poster with that kind of art on it, thats how nice it looks. really well done Tongue

too bad i dont live in japan, and instead live in canada, halfway across the world. D:

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 63
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic