Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:29:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingReckpunk
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Reckpunk  (Read 3040 times)
dlan
Level 1

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2013, 11:22:58 AM »

Last version available:

Reckpunk beta (Windows / MacOSX / Linux)

original post:
Hi tigers!

I made a small game that play *almost* like a platformer, the main difference is that you destroy / control level elements rather than the character itself.

Controls :
use mouse to move / destroy elements
Esc to quit

Here's the current playable build :

Reckpunk a1

and some screenshot:

As you can see, it's nothing fancy, I hope you will like it anyway Smiley

I plan to include some sound effects and perhaps a background music, as well as some additionals levels before calling it done.

I would love to have some feedback about what could be improved about the level design and the general look and feel of the game, and also about any bugs that you have encountered. (there is probably some lurking in the shadows, ready to bite...)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 06:45:23 AM by dlan » Logged
DarkUser
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 12:52:45 PM »

Interesting idea.  Felt a little bit like a mouse click shooter at times.  Liked the puzzles

The floaty-ness of carrying a block + little dude being floaty was a bit frustrating while trying to carry him up.  Bit of lack on control.  Seemed like the screen rising while carrying him up was adding lift as if I was moving the mouse up maybe.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 01:17:02 PM »

I gave it a try, not a bad idea.  I think my biggest issue is once the guy gets up to speed, it's difficult to react to the next obstacle before he runs into it.  The checkpoints everywhere feel like a band-aid for this and it feels a bit too trial-and-error.
Justsometoast
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 05:09:19 PM »

Awesome game. Simple, but fun.

The aesthetic was appealing,(besides the lack of music and sfx anyway) but it got kind of boring after a while. Adding different tilesets for levels might add some visual variety. Also, I would recommend looking at VVVVVV's art, it does a similar aesthetic very well.

Prads
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 08:16:01 PM »

As the character moved across screen to the right, the cursor move with the same pace as well and that made it annoying for me to play. Could you playtest a version where cursor remains in the same spot of the screen and scrolls to the right only when it is in the left edge of the screen?

And the game crashed here:

dlan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 04:29:02 AM »

Thanks for playing it!

@Syndetic
I kept the gravity quite low until now, for some levels, it avoid having the character falling too fast, but the levels with elevators could use higher gravity.

@Udderdude
I suppose I could play with the view distance to make the obstacles appear earlier, so far, I think the character speed is fine, but I have quite some space on the left of the screen when scrolling, so I could use that.

@Justsometoast
good suggestions, VVVVVV is one of my favorite game, it show probably quite a bit in the graphics Smiley I think about adding some animated elements in the background, to make the levels more appealing visually. And some additional color scheme couldn't hurt.

@Prads
I agree the cursor movement is not ideal, I could emulate the way rts implement cursor. I will  try out different implementation, and update the build with hopefully better cursor movement.

About the crash, you should have a log file into the game directory, could you upload it somewhere? Also, could you send me your computer configuration? I fear it could be a memory corruption / segfault error, could you also copy the content of the message in "View problem details"? Thanks!

Prads
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 04:41:16 AM »

Looks like access violation error:

Code:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: RecklessAdventurer.exe
  Application Version: 0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp: 5294da1a
  Fault Module Name: ReckGame.dll
  Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp: 5294cf4b
  Exception Code: c0000005
  Exception Offset: 00001eb1
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID: 3081
  Additional Information 1: 0a9e
  Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3: 0a9e
  Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Log file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_1r8DvKJ4zpRDN0bFhFZnJEd2s/edit?usp=sharing

EDIT: Oh and this time also it crashed in exact same spot.

dlan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 05:17:26 AM »

Looks like the faulty module reported is outdated in the version I uploaded . I have re-uploaded the zip with the most recent version, hope it fix the crash.
Prads
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 05:37:40 AM »

Downloaded and tried it again but it crashed in the exact same spot. Same error as well...

dlan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 06:49:52 AM »

OK, I reproduced it. When you click on the red block in this specific level , it call a function that it shouldn't. I have updated the build once again, it shouldn't crash anymore. Thanks for the report!

By the way, you can directly start from where you left by changing the start_menu variable in the config_pc.lua file in the game directory, just replace "menu.lwf" with "wall_death.lwf"

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 07:04:03 AM by dlan » Logged
Prads
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 07:33:49 PM »

Played through all the levels. At one point I died more than 50 times I guess by that red spike thing that moves up and down, and the game automatically stopped moving that red spike. Is that intended behavior? And in the last level, I could just make the character avoid all the obstacles by floating him at the top using a block. :D

dlan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 06:14:05 AM »

At one point I died more than 50 times I guess by that red spike thing that moves up and down, and the game automatically stopped moving that red spike. Is that intended behavior?

That's not intended, it seem to happen from time to time when the redspike touch a wall. another entry in my bug list Smiley

And in the last level, I could just make the character avoid all the obstacles by floating him at the top using a block. :D

I noticed this possibility, but I let it in to see if player would find it Smiley I think I will use this mechanics in some new levels. For the existing levels, some wall should be enough to prevent it.
Justsometoast
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 03:39:22 PM »

I discovered the infinite block float trick thing as well, figured you knew about it and kept it in anyway.

Glad you're planning to design around this instead of using some dumb energy meter or something as a bandaid solution. Some levels based around this could be quite fun.

8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 11:40:10 AM »

Just played, not bad. The immediate restart on death keeps the pace up, which made it difficult and fun - no resting, bitch! I agree with Syndetic that it felt like a shooter at times because of the constant motion and challenge of putting pixels on pixels in a short amount of time, particularly the levels where you have to click through the orange obstacles.

I figured out the float trick and I felt like I was cheating - there were clearly obstacles I was just passing over. It's sort of a cool feeling in that I feel like I'm pullin one over on the designer, but I think it'd be more interesting if I could only do that for a little bit, or only a couple times throughout the game. Not by way of an 'energy meter' or w/e but just level design, like low ceilings etc.

Anyway, I think this game could eventually ramp up to Super Hexagon levels of insanity, and I think that's where the fun is. The limited amount of time I have to react due to most of the obstacles being off screen is what makes it fun for me, and while Udderdude criticized the game for this aspect, I think that's what makes it special.

Bravo!
dlan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 08:58:00 AM »

I have built a new version, here's the download link :

Reckpunk a2

Added in this version :
  • 10 new levels
  • a level selector
  • additional graphics / color scheme
  • option to change cursor behavior (it stay fixed or follow the scrolling)
  • slightly increase the view distance

I have also updated the first 10 levels to fix the float trick, several levels in this new version play around the concept, let me know what you think Smiley

Next on the list, a linux version!

@8Points

Sorry for the late reply, I agree that the main fun is on the limited time the player have to react to whatever obstacles is thrown at him. Being able to make the difficulty ramp up nicely like in Super Hexagon is one of my objective, but since I have less design "purity", I easily draft levels that end up too frustrating or random, so in the end, the game will probably keep a "sane" difficulty Smiley.

That said, I plan on adding game modes that could make revisiting levels harder, like removing checkpoints, or adding a time attack mode.

edit:

Some new screenshots:

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:03:56 AM by dlan » Logged
quigibrough
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 03:45:14 PM »

At first I was confused as to what was going on. Everything seemed frozen. I eventually clicked on the platform and knew what to do but then I had to be super quick for what was the first 10 seconds of the game. The beginning is a bit too hard too quick. That second checkpoint should give you more time, I must have died a ton on that. 

Let me say though that I've been using my left hand instead of my right for the last year so I may be a bit slower than usual. I used to get banned from FPS PC servers for people thinking I was hacking. I am no longer a contender with my left hand so I'm clearly much slower. It still felt like the difficulty ramped up too fast though.

I like the idea of removing checkpoints for higher difficulty but only if the levels become easier as a result.

As far as the concept goes, it didn't really entice me and neither did the art but I have never played an infinite runner for as long as I have played this one so it's not really my style of game.

Except for the beginning where the game froze and I was confused, I knew what to do after just one death of seeing a new level piece so I feel like you are introducing the pieces well, it was just too hard for my left hand to handle. I stopped playing after the yellow chain got introduced.

dlan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 08:41:15 AM »

Seeing your report, it's possible the tutorial text didn't show on the first level, I got similar report that no text show on the first level, and that everything seem frozen, while for other people, they properly got the tutorial text, I will look into that.

About the difficulty, while I plan on keeping it high, I currently make some test with a controller where a button push automatically select the next obstacle, which make the game easier, and give an alternative to the mouse only controls.

Anyway, Thanks for your feedback! it's much appreciated.

PeteHuf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 12:23:23 AM »

Just tried a2. At first I thought it was interesting but not fun. I felt I was fighting the controls more than playing the game. Then I discovered the option to have the cursor not scroll with the screen (the only option, but a very good one Smiley). Once I set the cursor to follow the playfield rather than the window I had a much better time and had a lot of fun with the game. I think the cursor should follow the play field by default, when it was following the window I felt I was always trying to hit a moving target.

I couldn't figure out how to get past the part where the floor is rising. I couldn't get past that last segment.

Cool game, I'll like to play it once it gets more of the frills.

Biodrome Devlog! Competitive exploration in procedural platformer adventure worlds.
dlan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 06:52:21 AM »

About the cursor setting, I have noticed that player feedback depend a lot of the way they target elements, either they put the cursor first on a level elements then left click (so cursor scrolling is problematic for these players), or they left click on a level element the moment the cursor is over it, in this case cursor scrolling make sense. Regardless of default settings, I think about changing slightly the tutorial so that players could choose the setting that suit them best.

I couldn't figure out how to get past the part where the floor is rising. I couldn't get past that last segment.
ah, that last segment seem to confuse several players :D While It's somehow intended, I will add some visual hint to give more info to the player how to get past this part. Thanks for your report!

In other news, I have built a Linux version of the game (32-bit and 64-bit), It have been tested under Linux mint and Ubuntu Linux, I have no data about other distro yet. So if some Linux user are interested in giving it a shot, let me know what you think Smiley

Reckpunk a2 (Linux 32-bit / 64-bit)

dlan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2014, 06:45:08 AM »

So, I finally got to the point where I could label the game as a beta Smiley, here the latest playable version, which include levels with a second character linked to the first one. The second big change is graphical, with the introduction of new themes.

Other changes:
  • a highscore menu
  • the cursor now don't follow the scrolling by default
  • Change yellow block behavior, you don't have to keep the mouse button pressed now, one click grab it and one click drop it.
  • fullscreen option
  • 5 new levels
  • MacOsx version

Some screenshots of this new version:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic