Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:08:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVagante Alpha 8 Demo
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: Vagante Alpha 8 Demo  (Read 76712 times)
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: August 21, 2014, 02:46:35 PM »

Just backed the project after playing the demo, really, really wonderful! Although I had a boulder kill me on the very first entry tile! Look forward to seeing the development keep going.

kruxus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 22, 2014, 09:11:18 AM »

Some comments about the demo.

I suppose this build is aimed at coop, but when playing just one player the old UI was better. The little floating icon for each player isn't as nice as the old layout imo. And I liked being able to see how long potions lasts Wink

The forest was really nice, but a bit hard to distinguish walls from open space. I like the new enemies a lot, and wouldn't mind some rare ranged enemy in the first cave levels.

As mentioned above, taking damage from failed spells seems a bit harsh, don't know what other punishment could be used though.
Squidly
Level 1

You See Here a Profile

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 22, 2014, 11:10:49 AM »

Based off of extensive playtesting (stop making this addicting you monsters) I have some recommendations:

- Vitality is ridiculous. When you take it OFF you get health subtracted. You should instead have the limit change and only subtract health if it's over the new limit. I got killed by accidentally selecting the wrong thing in my inventory. Bad.

- I'm assuming the fourth class is WIP, but it's incredibly weak compared to everyone else.

- Spikes really need to go. Or toned down. This is NOT spelunky. Spelunky is an arcade game. This is a game that requires thought, you shouldn't be instantly murdered for missing a pixel. It's really no fun to have expertly navigated everything, getting to level 3 and about to finish, and dying from the bloody spikes. That's not fun. That's not a challenge. That's just frustrating. There's a thin line between real difficulty and fake difficulty.

Again, consider that last one. It's been brought up several times and I think it's more than just wanting an easier game, just a less frustrating one.

Currently you're experiencing Spelunky syndrome, where the majority of players will definitely not make it to the second zone. I'm not saying this is because of short attention span that you should cater to, it's actually a matter of escalation.' Mainly, this game doesn't have it. The levels immediately spike in difficulty and you can have an incredibly difficult level 2 and a completely benign level 3, and that's just weird.

I just recommend you steer away from Spelunky, just because they have it, doesn't mean you should too. This is an amazing game that seems to be pushing more and more to its own identity.

Also, can we please have two music tracks per zone? I love the cave theme but it's getting kinda annoying.

Also, fullscreen doesn't work properly at 1080p. The stats screen and bottom are blocked out. Strangely enough, this doesn't happen if you just stretch out the game manually.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 11:23:53 AM by ChosenCharacter » Logged
premonster
« Reply #263 on: August 22, 2014, 11:37:48 AM »

- Spikes really need to go. steer away from Spelunky

I've been telling Keo this from the start. If we want to play Spelunky, we go play Spelunky.
I wanna play Vagante.
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #264 on: August 25, 2014, 04:51:05 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, even if I'm a little late.  Surprisingly complaints about the spikes isn't universal so for now they are going to be left alone.  I've addressed them before, they're plenty of ways to overcome them, featherfall potions are usually plenty around.  The issue is also a level design problem, I think some of the rooms are a bit unfair, when there are walls in the way of jumping for instance, easy fix.

the vitality was a bug that we've since fixed.

The fourth class was meant to be a challenge class, I actually like it as is but I might be masochistic, but I also really like the design and think more work can be done with her.  

Time for something a little different, made this during ld, though I'm showing the post-jam version I worked on earlier this morning, that's more balanced.

If I had known I had to register a license to get unlimited resources for game maker, it would make my life so much easier now.  Anyways I feel like continuing working on this during weekends, so you'll probably see more of it later.

LD Page and more info here on Sender

we're continuing work on Multiplayer, and also our greenlight stats are pretty goooood.
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 27, 2014, 02:33:37 AM »

Is there a way to start new game with predefined seed? It seems I have found the most awesome level generation bug ever - the flooding level.
Underwater shopping.
http://i.imgur.com/QlK8K0I.png
http://i.imgur.com/rmvgudr.png
Water engine was not prepared for this.
http://i.imgur.com/7ZQc59k.png
http://i.imgur.com/0ovGOgP.png
http://i.imgur.com/5QnhL3h.png
The seed in question is 17936, level 2, I believe.
I have absentmindedly overwritten the replay, and didn't have any recording software at the time, so I can't show this in action (which is sad, because diving two rooms deep for chest, which appeared to be a mimic, and fighting boss while water level is rising was unforgettable).
P.S. I like new class.
P.P.S. Sorry for my poor english.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 04:02:20 AM by 414 » Logged
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #266 on: August 27, 2014, 04:23:09 AM »

your english is fine *

yea that bug is pretty awesome, there's a video by beardednarwhal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgD1eu8ZocI&feature=youtu.be&t=16m42s if anyone wants to see it happening.  Swimming looks so fun, it looks like it happens whenever something shakes the level and there's water nearby, usually the bosses - the "bandit leader" and golem boss as far as I know trigger it pretty frequently.  I really like it, so we'll probably fix the bug, but there's a good chance you'll see something like it in some form.
Squidly
Level 1

You See Here a Profile

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 27, 2014, 06:46:41 PM »

It's not a bug, it's a feature.
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #268 on: August 28, 2014, 05:32:33 PM »

We have some exciting news regarding multiplayer on our Kickstarter page!  (betcha can't guess what it is) Be sure to check out Alpha 7 as well, we’ve been hard at work listening to feedback and fixing various reported bugs, we’re also bringing a new ui and better multiplayer experience.  

Change Log

• User Interface redesign
  • Opening your menu no longer pauses the game
  • Pressing down on ladders in the air grabs onto them
  • Knight affinities reworked
  • Multiplayer skeletons reworked
  • New Item: Scroll of Chaos
  • New Item: Revive
  • Tons of balance changes
  • Many bug fixes

Plenty of more details here and a link to the download on our Kickstarter page
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 05:43:42 PM by keo » Logged
Cyman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 28, 2014, 06:48:06 PM »

I love this game! It isn't clear to me how to get the latest build from the Kickstarter pages though (there's a link to #6)
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: August 28, 2014, 06:56:29 PM »

I played for a while and thought it was really fun! Here are some thoughts:

I made it to the forest and had the Spider Boots or whatever lets you climb walls, and tried to climb a wall that seemed to lead to nowhere. It was obviously the edge of the level but I thought I could stand on it. It just killed me immediately when I made it up there Tongue Maybe consider making solid clouds or impassible 'lips' above the towers.

The rogue's visor looked just like a big nose to me, and it took me a while to discern what it actually was. I think that would be fixed if the visor color and the skin color weren't so close, though.

I thought the spikes were fine, though some of the vaults seemed to have them in annoying places. They should remain, though.

Arrow traps can trigger without even being in view. I would adjust their trigger range so that they're not literally unpredictable. Those floor-dwelling plants that spring up to bite you can be below spikes and therefore invisible as well - I would just make them not spawn on a spike tile to begin with, anyway.

Trying to use the grappling hook in the air doesn't work, which is probably intended. The real problem is that the hook spawns for 1 frame before being destroyed.

Some of the skills are pretty unforgivably weak. I was saddened to find that the knight's beams did a grand sum of 1 damage, or maybe I was just hitting the wrong enemies...

The 'bat notice' sound effect sounds almost like an instrument in the song. Actually, it would work great as a muted percussion part. Oh well.

kruxus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 29, 2014, 12:30:59 AM »

I hope you keep the old interface for single player later on, it looks a lot better to me. I also think it is fair to pause the game when browsing the inventory (in single player), it allows you to do some more interesting tactics. It could be one way of balancing out that you are just one player too.

I also found it very hard to use.

Obviously when playing co-op it needs to be streamlined, but it would be a shame if the single-player experience is compromised too much because of multiplayer.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 12:48:59 AM by kruxus » Logged
Sjonsson
Level 0

Multi-hatter. Level design get's the love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: August 29, 2014, 02:49:56 AM »

Didn't find you on http://epocu.com/

Get on it!

Unity-chan is that ex that you'll never get over but on the same time will always regret.
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #273 on: August 29, 2014, 05:50:37 PM »

@glyph thanks for the feedback a lot of it will get fixed (eventually), bear hero is pretty flippin sweet btw.  rogues visor is actually suppose to be hair, I'll see what other colors work though.  I did some testing the hookshot does work in the air, so I'm not sure what's going on there for you.  

@kruxus appreciate the feedback, we're gonna be working more on the new inventory see what works for players.  We feel it adds a little more consideration to the player, being more aware of their safety.  There are things that ultimately do get messed up with this transition, like being inside a maneating plant, it's difficult to use a teleport scroll unless you plan on it (menu position is remembered).  We're considering a new setup with weapon, spell, and ranged switching, binding 4 keys (bumpers/triggers on a game pad) to anything in the inventory / spell screen.  So teleport scrolls and potions can be on hand during those clutch moments.

Alpha, so lot of things are in flux bare with us.

@Sjonsson thanks for the link, checked it out, reminds me of square enix collective - it's hard to tell how effective epocu is by what's shown.  but we'll keep it in mind.
kruxus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 02, 2014, 02:57:49 AM »

I think the rogues hair is perfectly obvious. Especially after seeing the portrait.

Been playing some more and I'm starting to like the new inventory a lot more, it's not as bad as I first thought. The only real problem is that you can't easily switch between weapons. Customizable keys for four items is still quite a low number, but it could work.

I'd prefer if each bumper had it's defined category as it was in the last alpha (and still is with spells), but then it would be hard to get potions and scrolls into the equation.

One idea is to move all single-use items like scrolls and potions into the spell screen. So to use a potion you first have to equip it, then select and use it just like you select and cast a spell. This way you could make it so that potions takes time to use just like spells. I understand that the spell screen represent memorized spells, but as the screen is usually pretty underused it could be a good idea.
This way you could easily prepare a teleport scroll when entering the forest, and have both regen, strength and defence potions at hand (balanced out by the time it takes to drink them).

If you then also separated weapons and wearables, you could let us select multiple weapons just like you can with spells.
EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 02, 2014, 06:38:10 AM »

the name sounds kinda bad in portuguese, means "a person who walks", meh.
Derity
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 02, 2014, 09:44:22 AM »

Having lots of fun with the demo!  Grin

Fingers crossed for you guys on Kickstarter!

Sam English
« Reply #277 on: September 02, 2014, 09:56:20 AM »

Click the image above if you want to stream a few tunes from the game.  Smiley

(got some download codes too, if ya want. just msg me.)
Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: September 02, 2014, 01:19:17 PM »

the name sounds kinda bad in portuguese, means "a person who walks", meh.

Vagrants and vagabonds have a much different connotation in English. I really like the title.

my twitter. my itch.io page.
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #279 on: September 02, 2014, 04:50:16 PM »

we're doing an AMA right now http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2fb59x/we_are_nuke_nine_the_indie_game_team_behind/

"What's the most difficult thing about creating bad games?" : O
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic