Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:21:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesHearthstone
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Hearthstone  (Read 9146 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2014, 01:07:54 AM »

PaulEres#1805

i think it's a fun way to take breaks while working on a game, since the matches are very short and streamlined. it's not as complex or as creative as magic but that's more of a time-sink and less of a 'take a break to play it' type game
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 02:01:46 AM by Paul Eres » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2014, 02:58:46 AM »

Well, I played it a bunch this weekend, but I think I've hit the end.  All in all, it's probably the best free to play CCG that I've encountered, and Magic would do well to emulate a bunch of the lessons (the drop in/drop out style of arena, the user interface), but it's just too simple at the end of the day.  Even worse, everything kind of blends together into one beigey mess.  One of Magic's greatest ideas is the color pie, but with the huge selection of All Classes minions and the fact that all classes have access to pretty much the same tools (all have removal that functions in pretty much exactly the same way, etc.).  Combined with the fact that figuring out your mana base is a solved problem (and because it is constant, all decks require pretty much the same curve [barring Druid shenanigans]), it feels like they polished away all the rough edges, even the interesting ones.
i think the biggest problem is that theres not a whole lot of strategy involved in the actual matches, it's mostly about your deck, which exacerbates the whole pay2win/grind2win issue

maybe thats sort of endemic to CCGs as a whole tho
Nitishajack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2014, 08:46:42 AM »

Just started a few days ago. Game is really fun so far. (I love card games like this - just no one I know in real life plays them so its great as most MTG games are crap )

Building Mage and Druid decks.

Doing my first Arena run and first time playing Shaman. I like the idea behind Arena. I'm at 2 Wins / 1 Loss ATM.

heisenbergman
Level 2

LoGaP

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2014, 07:52:44 PM »

Here are a couple of useful links to picking cards for your Arena runs:

Trump's Arena Guide
(these have separate pages for neutrals, rares, epics, and for the different classes so just go to the bottom of the article for the links)

and

AntiGrav1ty's Arena Draft Tiers
(which is just a huge google doc spreadsheet)

The rankings on these are by no means set in stone, and you will need to understand why the cards are ranked the way they are, but if you just want to blindly follow the list, I suppose that would still be better than just blindly picking in Arena with little rhyme or reason Smiley

So far my best Arena run is 11 wins with a Mage, but that was a really lucky run.

My next best is 6 wins, twice, both with Paladins.

After that, I average around 4 wins.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2014, 06:28:18 AM »

Well, I played it a bunch this weekend, but I think I've hit the end.  All in all, it's probably the best free to play CCG that I've encountered, and Magic would do well to emulate a bunch of the lessons (the drop in/drop out style of arena, the user interface), but it's just too simple at the end of the day.  Even worse, everything kind of blends together into one beigey mess.  One of Magic's greatest ideas is the color pie, but with the huge selection of All Classes minions and the fact that all classes have access to pretty much the same tools (all have removal that functions in pretty much exactly the same way, etc.).  Combined with the fact that figuring out your mana base is a solved problem (and because it is constant, all decks require pretty much the same curve [barring Druid shenanigans]), it feels like they polished away all the rough edges, even the interesting ones.
i think the biggest problem is that theres not a whole lot of strategy involved in the actual matches, it's mostly about your deck, which exacerbates the whole pay2win/grind2win issue

maybe thats sort of endemic to CCGs as a whole tho

It's a problem with any game that has "collection" style mechanics in a free-to-play space.

See: Magic The Gathering, Hearthstone, League of Legends (with "flavor of the week" champions), etc.

It's why I like Arena (Hearthstone), Draft (MTG), or ARAM (LoL). They provide limited options for all players, which restricts the potential for pay-to-win shenanigans.
heisenbergman
Level 2

LoGaP

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2014, 06:38:11 AM »

Yes, Arena always as long as the gold allows.

The furthest I've gotten in constructed is Rank 16. Been playing for around a month.
armedpatriots
Level 0

Game Designer/ Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2014, 05:43:16 PM »

I absolutely love Hearthstone. I really enjoy seeing a truly digital take on a CCG. I cannot stop playing it.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
-Thomas Edison
heisenbergman
Level 2

LoGaP

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2014, 05:44:13 PM »

I need Hearthstone on my iPhone.
armedpatriots
Level 0

Game Designer/ Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2014, 05:49:51 PM »

I know right! That is what I want too!

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
-Thomas Edison
MrBones
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2014, 06:29:54 PM »

Yes please.
heisenbergman
Level 2

LoGaP

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2014, 06:02:31 PM »

Running an aggro Rogue deck right now that has me up to level 13, which is where things start to get difficult. Will stop here for this month I think.

The concept is fast cycling + cheap cards + rogue combos. It's quite fun to play. Would appreciate suggestions on how to improve it.

(everything x2)

Backstab - good, cheap card that sets up a combo well
Shadowstep - cheap card also. excellent for being able to use a minion's combo twice.
Deadly Poison - just a good card for a rogue deck, and sets up a combo fairly well too.
Eviscerate - good combo card.
Shiv - good draw card
Defias Ringleader - great combo minion. coin + defias + shadowstep = 3 minions on the board after Turn 1.
Knife Juggler - synergizes great with the theme of the deck.
Loot Hoarder - good draw card
Perdition's Blade - good combo weapon
Harvest Golem - solid minion
Shattered Sun Cleric - solid minion
SI:7 Agent - great combo minion
Gnomish Inventor - solid draw minion
Azure Drake - excellent minion and it lets you draw
Gadgetzan Auctioneer - lets you draw when casting a spell. solid for the deck.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 06:10:23 PM by heisenbergman » Logged
feminazi
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2014, 06:28:31 PM »

i finaly got pas da tutorial n now im bord

y it only ipad n not phone
no one hav ipad
thos r dum
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 06:54:02 PM by evelynjolie » Logged
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2014, 06:55:19 PM »

iPhone would be wayyy too small to have the board on : it would lose it's charm.

Play against friends, it's way better.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2014, 02:44:40 PM »

ugh.

your hand is like 5% of the screen. what, were they thinking?!!!
Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2014, 04:42:16 PM »

I wonder if they can redesign the game to fit an iPhone screen? It'd be very interesting, and if the game is gaining traction as a PC/iPad game, if they manage to release it for the iPhone it'll become a massive cash cow for Blizz. I also wonder if Heroes of the Storm will be as big, considering it'll be facing both LoL and Dota 2.

Oh, and BTW, I'm Keops#1824, feel free to add me, I'm probably going to lose XD my custom decks are not so good atm.

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2014, 06:40:12 PM »

It's possible. Though they'd have to step up their UI game... because damn.
medieval
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2014, 09:11:23 AM »

i believe its gonna be out on android and iphone this year
but too lazy to find recent sources
Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2014, 10:52:26 AM »

Considering the massive traction the game is gathering it's pretty surefire Blizzard is finding a way to get the game going on mobile systems too. I'm just so very curious to see how they will tweak/modify the interface to fit in a 5-inch system. But yeah, it's VERY unlikely they will leave phones untapped.

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2014, 05:19:48 AM »

if pokemon tcg is enjoyable on the freaking *gameboy* then blizzard can pull off hearthphone
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2014, 05:45:44 AM »

that would be my favourite game on phones.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic