Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:11:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingdarkRun
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: darkRun  (Read 6563 times)
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2008, 01:16:53 AM »

My first flashgame. Didn't know much actionscript at the time (Still don't Wink)
You need a really kickass computer to run it, because if the framerate dips under 40fps there is really no meaning in playing it, since it will lose it's beat and the beat is about all there is to it... You can lower the quality under the View option, maybe that will make it run a little faster.

Would appriciate if you told me how (un)kickass your computer is, and how the game runs on it. Might be that I have to redraw the grafics because my computer is the only one it runs smoothly on. If you have some comments on the gameplay or music those are welcome to!

Enjoy!

http://www.savefile.com/download/1903190?PHPSESSID=323abcd91ee98eba20b06b0732845741

(EDIT:Added screenshot)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 01:52:31 AM by JLJac » Logged
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 07:13:29 PM »

Hmm, if the game desyncs due to a lower framerate, it means you're animating based on frames, which is not smart for the kind of game you have here; look into using getTimer(), if you're using AS3. That said, I use a 1.83 GHz Core2, and it worked great.

I got 3829 points! (You should probably not make the text selectable.) I like how it looks and how it plays quite a bit, and, of course, the simultaneous audio and visual stimuli make for a heightened experience. The game reminded me a bit of

, overall, but with more 'beat'.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 09:55:36 PM »

Ok, I'll look into the getTimer() command, I know you are right, shouldn't animate on framerate... But as I said, I'm new to it. Was glad to see any movement on the screen at all Wink

Sorry about the selectable text to, had not noticed...

This blast arena advance looks interesting, the musics sounds great! Didn't know the gameplay concept was already out there Huh?

Thanks fore the input, appreciate it!
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 08:29:40 PM »

This seems like a fun game, unfortunately I'm getting a bit of slowdown. I'd love to get a chance to play around with it on a machine on which it runs better.

From what I could tell, the player movement had a nice feel to it.

P.S. - I quite understand the appeal of framerate based events... In fact I'm still pruning all of them out of my current game. Smiley But agj is right. Time-based is the way to be. So, err, go team! Go forth and make games with robust and framerate independent events!
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 10:12:00 AM »

My only question is:
If you make a time based script, but the time it takes to calculate everything is longer than one of those time chunks, won't you get a lag anyways? I mean, the comupter can't work faster than it can, can it?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 11:06:54 PM by JLJac » Logged
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 08:37:49 PM »

I call dibs on front paging this one.  Gentleman

JLJac, please PM me, so we can talk about it.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 08:48:48 PM »

This is too good!
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 12:20:22 AM »

nice, i got up to 7311 points on my first try.

also, it runs really smooth on my computer.

fun game.  Beer!

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 04:21:13 AM »

You're a more experienced programmer than me- I'm sure there are better systems, but what I do basically boils down to this:
Code:
calculate current framerate
x = x + dX / framerate
There is enough flex in the system that it can handle abnormally low framerates without physics glitches. But if the framerate sinks below a safe level, there's a limiter that kicks in in order to keep the physics from having a heart attack, so the game goes into slow motion if it really can't keep up.

My only question is:
If you make a time based script, but the time it takes to calculate everything is longer than one of those time chunks, won't you get a lag anyways? I mean, the comupter can't work faster than it can, can it?
Yeah, you'll get a pretty big hiccup. What happens is you use the time the previous frame took (or some sort of average) as your framerate. So in your example what would happen is the slow frame would take something like 60 ms, but update as though it were taking only 20 ms.

Then the next frame would update as though it were taking 60 ms, even though it really only took 20.
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 09:56:44 PM »

I'm working on the write up. It's just: work, time. This, however, is life.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 07:22:31 AM by ithamore » Logged

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 07:52:57 AM »

I made an ugly version for slower PCs. Enjoy!

Hate that willhostforfood is down...
http://www.filedropper.com/darkrunugly
Bob le Moche
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 09:35:25 AM »

Woah, I really like what you did with the music and rhythm in this, very compelling!
isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 05:19:37 AM »

Any chance you could drop a Mac projector or just a .swf?

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 08:27:13 PM »

Can't you upload the swf somewhere? That's the whole point of flash (it's portability and reach).
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic