Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:00:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKara
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Kara  (Read 49115 times)
adnzzzzZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 12:16:37 PM »

I love it - looks much better than before. Maybe have the camera shake a bit less when he's charging and more so when it crashes to the ground?

No. @o@ I like how it is now. I still need to change the camera system a bit and add smooth screen shakes so I can abuse/tweak it more without people complaining it's too much/too little.

JoeManaco
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 12:42:56 PM »

Awesome project!

For the meteor shower it would be a nice detail if you add a special frame to the character like holding his fist up or something like that.

matwek
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 11:19:23 PM »

Awesome project!

For the meteor shower it would be a nice detail if you add a special frame to the character like holding his fist up or something like that.
We're a bit lacking in the character animations at the moment but we've been trying out a few ideas. We've been thinking about either going with a fist to the ground or having the player smash the ground with his hammer to look like hes causing a cave in.

We're also a bit up in the air about character design at the moment.
I kind of like the look of the chubby everyman style character that we have at the moment, as it reminds me of other relatively simply designed heros, such as Alex Kidd.
But adnzzzzZ thinks we should consider something more stylized and in keeping with this job.
I woundered what other people thought? As there is not much point in doing more sprites until we decide upon the style.
adnzzzzZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2013, 07:17:46 AM »

I woundered what other people thought? As there is not much point in doing more sprites until we decide upon the style.

From what I could see on the reddit thread, a lot of people dislike how the character looks and a lot of people have no problem with him. I think the only real solution is to keep him the way he is and to add another character that has either slighty or completely different gameplay elements to him (and that obviously looks more like someone that would appeal to people like me).

I don't know how feasible that is to you at the moment, though... But maybe in the future, right?

adnzzzzZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2013, 01:44:31 PM »

Added moving walls and buttons. Buttons can trigger any object that has a "trigger" function defined. Since we use Tiled, we can just define the name of the to-be-triggered object + its type on the Button's object properties and then whenever the button is pressed in game, the object with that name will have its trigger function called.

Still missing some dust/smoke effects while the moving wall is moving and when it finishes completely...

Also added a proper trail for the seeker missile.

Also also, this is a pretty cool more visual explanation of Spelunky's procedural generation algorithms: http://tinysubversions.com/spelunkyGen/. It was released today apparently, so good timing!

tequibo
Level 1

smoke and mirrors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2013, 03:49:18 PM »

Looks very cool!
But main character looks a bit out of place. Frankly I don't like him.

adnzzzzZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2013, 03:36:07 PM »

Thanks tequibo!

Added invisible triggers:

and added the ability for triggers/buttons to trigger multiple things. As well as two types of buttons: one that is deeper and other that isn't. With the one that's deeper the boulders get stuck in, so it creates the possibility of having puzzles that you can mess up only once (since you can't redo/undo your button choice after the button has been pressed by a boulder).

Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2013, 04:34:29 PM »

Someone got a bit too happy with screen shaking... :p I don't think every object in the game needs to be shaking the screen.

At least for most of it you could do very subtle shaking... It doesn't seem to have a range... it's just "regular no shake" or "FULL ON SHAKE THIS SCREEN UNTIL YOUR EYEBALLS SPASM".

adnzzzzZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2013, 04:48:48 PM »

Yea I think you're right. In the second gif particularly, since each moving wall spawns its camera shakes independently they come together to make a bigger one and it's too much (since there are 3 moving walls moving at the same time). Need to add some way of banning new camera shakes from being started from certain object types if there's already one from that same type happening...

matwek
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2013, 09:49:28 AM »

Its beginning to look more like a mine.

EDIT: I think I need to change the colours on the mushrooms though. Maybe make them a bit darker
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 09:56:48 AM by matwek » Logged
adnzzzzZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2013, 09:19:24 AM »

Trying out some physics. Still kinda buggy and still not sure if there's anything interesting to be done with physics enabled blocks...

Wigen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2013, 11:14:38 AM »

This game looks awesome. I love the art style and gameplay looks very fun.

I really love the tongue sticking out when he swings the hammer!

Dev Log: Super Truckin' on TigSource
Super Off Road / Mario Kart mashup!

Dev Blog | @in8bit | @Wigen
adnzzzzZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2013, 01:07:42 PM »

Weeeeeeee

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2013, 05:20:58 PM »

LOL at the mine cart just continuing on apart from the tracks.

I like the art style so far. Nice work!

matwek
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2013, 11:50:30 AM »

Just a quick update to the OP. I've added the portfolio of our character spriter.
adnzzzzZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2013, 07:41:36 AM »

Making smoke/dust look convincing at all is reeaaaaally hard, but at least I got a cool generic effect out of trying:

adnzzzzZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2013, 07:02:51 PM »

Added one way platforms.

Since I'm using box2d all I have to do is disable the collision response (contact:setEnabled(false)) on the pre-solve callback, which means that when a collision between a one way platform and the player happens, no collision response should happen. BUT that should happen only when the player is coming from below the platform, so either only when the y velocity of the player is lower than 0 or when the lowermost part of the player is below the topmost part of the platform.

Using y velocity as the parameter is faulty because if the player goes up but doesn't quite make it and starts to descend, the collision kicks back in and the player is either pushed down or up by box2d, which looks and feels wrong.

Code:
function MetalPlatform:collisionPlayerPre(player, nx, ny, contact)
    local vx, vy = player.body:getLinearVelocity()
    if vy < 0 then contact:setEnabled(false) end
end

So the way that works the best (and it's the one I'm using) is taking positions into consideration, which also makes a lot of sense.

Code:
function MetalPlatform:collisionPlayerPre(player, nx, ny, contact)
    local px, py = player.body:getPosition()
    if py + player.h/2 >= self.y - self.h/2 then contact:setEnabled(false) end
end

Also, Matt also sent me an initial pretty good idea for how to add randomness to the creation of room templates (check first page for how we generate dungeons, now we need to figure out how to generate each room randomly so that the game doesn't get repetitive too fast).

The red blocks in that image are the games main layout, those blocks don't change. The orange blocks are split into sections (where they've been numbered) and then randomly set to 3 different states.

• That section doesn't appear on the layout
  • That section becomes breakable blocks
  • That section becomes part of the solid layout

With that set up we can still have a selection of pre-designed maps, but each of these maps then also has a selection of randomly created alternatives...

So if we do the basic layout of the maps in this way (or something similar to this) we can design templates (with puzzles, enemies and item placement) with those "probabilistic tiles" in mind and we pretty much get 1-5 extra different templates/rooms for free. Add to that the possibility of combining templates together to create a single room and we could probably get a huuuuuge number of different rooms with just a few templates... !

adnzzzzZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2013, 11:37:34 PM »

Derpy chains!

They use revolute joints and it was kinda hard to set them up. Now I need to get them to connect to the proper spots + drawing the actual chain. After I get that done then I get all sorts of chain based thingies like bridges or chained platforms (platforms that are connected by one or two chains and move around like in the GIF, they probably enable some nice jumping sections).

adnzzzzZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2013, 09:19:38 AM »

Yatta! (〜 ̄▽ ̄)〜

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2013, 09:23:59 AM »

whoa very cool

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print