Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 03:44:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKara
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Kara  (Read 49123 times)
adnzzzzZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2013, 06:09:31 PM »

Thanks InfiniteStateMachine!

Trying out some chained platforms:

Still really buggy and not that polished but it's a start...

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2013, 09:31:35 PM »

^ Cool! That little "bounce" when you land on the platforms seems a bit off (since chains don't really have give), but it's looking nice and solid so far! Keep it up!

adnzzzzZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2013, 10:22:06 PM »

Thanks SolarLune!

I've managed to make them completely not bouncy at all:

Not sure if it's the best way. From a programming perspective this way is simpler, and from a gameplay perspective I don't think it makes much of a difference. The only thing that the other one has over this one is that it's more interesting to watch, I guess?

adnzzzzZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2013, 01:25:57 AM »

Added a basic bridge. Same mechanism that was used for creating chains.

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2013, 01:34:18 AM »

For an example of how that works: you start the game with the ability to throw your hammer.

Why are you being so mean to poor V.I.N.CENT?!? Sad

/ hotlinked

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
adnzzzzZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2013, 01:32:50 PM »

Why are you being so mean to poor V.I.N.CENT?!? Sad

I have no idea. (」゚ペ)」

Anyway, milking that CHAINS as hard as possible:

And also added some new smoke particles. Do they look acceptable?

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2013, 02:26:59 PM »

Cool spiked balls. The smoke particles look nice, yeah. You might want to just have them scale down rather than move, because it looks like there are some errant puffs that manage to find their way out there. Otherwise, though, it's looking nice.

adnzzzzZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2013, 07:42:34 PM »

Thanks again for the feedback, SolarLune!

Added more chain related thingies. These are the last mechanics related to chains that I have left to add, I think.

I still need to work a bit more on this last one to properly handle all edge cases. Since I'm using stencils to not over draw the chain when it goes up or down, I have to figure out how to make it "resistant" to variable velocities. As well as making it a bit more realistic; maybe when it goes up it goes tick by tick (chain link by chain link) with some nice tweens and when it goes down it just drops completely and lets gravity take care of it until it hits the floor.

adnzzzzZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2013, 03:26:11 AM »

Adding water beyonce:

The stone brick should sink, but I'm just implementing the basic bouyouyounciness and then I'll set densities for each object specifically.

adnzzzzZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2013, 12:07:29 AM »

Adding water waves (following this tutorial)...

Still a LOT of stuff left to add, not sure if it's worth the effort:

• Should be able to, on top of creating waves based on a point (when an object enters the water line), also be able to create them based on the orientation, width, height (and overall shape somehow) of the object entering, such that an object that is wide and skinny that enters horizontally creates a big wave, and such that that same object entering vertically creates nearly no waves at all;
  • To make sure the beyonce variables are in sync with the wave variables. Right now the waves stabilize a bit before the box stops bouncing, which means that the variables are not set correctly. Either find a formula that will correlate them properly based on object mass/density/shape or do it by hand on a per object basis;
  • Forces should be applied to objects after other waves are created. Right now new waves don't change existing objects at all;
  • Splash particles;
  • Gradient on the water + a whiteish outline on the division between water and air.
I feel like doing half of those because no one will notice any of it so it doesn't matter, but at the same time it will feel pretty good to get water right...

adnzzzzZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2014, 12:28:11 AM »

Finished water completely!

Now I'm gonna do lava and some fluids with other properties (like the Portal 2 ones), since all I need to do is change some colors and some numbers. Will also probably write a more detailed post on everything that was used as soon as I finish the other fluids...

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2014, 12:36:50 AM »

Wow. I was going to post that it's not necessary to do, since it's pretty minor, but the effect's pretty awesome. Nice work! I would only suggest that the gradient be more stepped and less smooth to match your art style. Perhaps also with some shifting toward turquoise as it turns white to make it more visually interesting? Anyway, nice work, again!

adnzzzzZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2014, 01:19:11 AM »

Thanks for the feedback again again, SolarLune! And yea, I've talked to Matt and he agrees that the gradient needs to be different. I'm thinking of using some textures as well to make the gradient less obvious and to better fit the game's art style, but I'll get to that later.

Also, added lava (which has the same problems with gradients and visual style as water, I guess, but I'll change all that later). It's only missing objects catching on fire when they contact the lava, I think.

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2014, 06:25:49 AM »

Hot damn this looks so nice...
matwek
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2014, 07:13:47 AM »

First attempt at a "randomised" layout.

The orange sections will be filled in randomly with either, solid walls or breakable blocks(or left blank).
Afterwards I'll be adding in all the possible locations for traps and enemies, then we'll use the game engine to randomly pick which of the traps are active and which are hidden.

The idea is that we'll have randomised levels but with a predesigned element.
Some layouts will be more random, where as others will be completly predesigned to take advanatge of the unique traps and physics we have now.
adnzzzzZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2014, 07:01:21 PM »

Added some additional fluids. Repulsion:

Player repulsion

Propulsion + repulsion:

Player propulsion

Sticky... sort of:

« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 10:00:39 AM by adnzzzzZ » Logged

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2014, 07:13:22 PM »

Oh man, the fluid dynamics look nice...

I think having some bubbles on the surface of the lava would make it look even cooler. Have you also thought of making the lava look opaque? It looks a little thin being slightly see-through. I'm guessing objects would be destroyed upon contact with lava anyway, right? So you wouldn't need to see what's underneath.

adnzzzzZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2014, 08:36:55 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, WillyChyr! And yea, I agree with you. I'm gonna change the way all liquids look soon and will use your suggestion (it's so easy to not notice small details like those when you've spent so much time into some feature... :d).

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2014, 11:15:54 PM »

Why does floating stuff stabilise at a 45 degree angle rather than level. Doesn't it make them rather awkward to use as platforms?

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
adnzzzzZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2014, 12:16:43 AM »

The objects stabilize at the angle the fluid simulation decides they should stabilize at. But yes, right now it's kinda awkward to use oddly angled things as platforms (although as soon as you jump on an object (if it's not too heavy), your weight makes it stabilize at ~0 or ~180 degrees). But I plan on implementing a sort of angled sliding mechanic. Think Megaman X-like wall sliding, but adaptable to any angle if it's more than 45 degrees (if it's less then just treat it normally as a slope). Not sure if it will work but it's the idea.

I feel like having the angle sliding is a more general solution than avoiding weirdly angled things, since the game relies on physics a lot and then I'd have to make sure that all types of objects aren't angled, which makes them seem way less realistic in a number of situations.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 12:24:46 AM by adnzzzzZ » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic