Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:41:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGNOG A game about heads
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: GNOG A game about heads  (Read 34683 times)
bsp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2015, 04:31:36 PM »

really good art, man

jamesflanaganmusic
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2015, 02:42:19 PM »

Looks stellar!  But have you considered calling it G'NOG to prevent the inevitability of everyone calling your game 'nog'?

SP.SubsonicGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2015, 03:16:24 PM »

This looks absolutely fantastic. Very excited to see it progress!
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2015, 06:34:43 PM »

I'm glad you guys changed the name, all I could think about was this song:

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
seemo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2015, 11:59:26 AM »

NEW UPDATE

Ahhh it's been a really long time again, so much has happened and Sam is swamped with a crazy amount of stuff to do so I'm going to start updating this thread. My name is Saleem and I help Sam with design stuff as well as doing production work on GNOG.

OKAY FIRST THING, WE MADE A TRAILER

So as you can tell from the video Double Fine is publishing our game, which is honestly a dream come true for us and an amazing fit since GNOG borrows a lot from point and click puzzle games.  Secondly it's coming to Playstation 4 with VR support (and Steam and iOS a few months afterwards).

Since we're now officially launching on a console first, we had to get the game feeling really at home with a controller. Almost all cursor driven games on a controller feel kind of janky so we wanted to put extra effort here.   

At first we iterated with different ideas like magnetism, cursor sizes, and hot zones/collision sizes. Magnetism seems like a very good idea at first but it turns out to only work really well for UI elements (like in Destiny) and feels kind of annoying when applied to in game interactions. We ended up settling on a simple cursor ring with a big collision box around it and a lot of smoothing:

This was okay to start with but was really lacking in the joy and playfulness we want the game to embody. A while later Sam was playing the excellent Plug & Play on iOS and noticed an interesting feedback mechanism for when you touch an interactive object:

That sort of lively flowey ring looked like it would translate really nicely to an analog stick and we started imagining ways we could extend it further with custom animations on interactive objects. We wanted it part of the game world itself so it felt like you were controlling a little magical cluster rather than a boring cursor.

Here's our proof of concept, with object specific hover animation on the cube:

This system has the benefit of being powered almost entirely on animations, which lets us create custom reactions depending on the situation and the level. For example if there’s a knob that’s super hot and you try to grab it, the cursor can play a “too hot” animation and turn black, giving it an in-game connection to the world. Since GNOG is all about the physicality of the interactions, incorporating the cursor into the game world makes a lot of sense.

Here’s what it looks like in action in its basic form in the log gnog:

In other news we’re currently putting the finishing touches on our IGF build which means working on the intro, the overworld/level select, and polishing the levels that we currently have. After that we’re switching focus to push PS VR development which is going to introduce a bunch of little design challenges to figure out.
ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2015, 12:46:01 PM »

I have been following this development for a while and I love the style. The trailer is great as well!

The magical cluster idea looks really fitting It would be nice if the balls had a slight more variety in physics like one of the balls always took a little longer than the rest to arrive etc.

Keep up the good work  Beer!

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2015, 12:52:53 PM »

Wow. This looks amazing. And the cursor idea is great. But I think you need a different colour, or dynamically adaptive colour, because it has too much of the game world's palette, making it hard to see on top of many objects in the GIF above. Maybe it should be very bright, or even white, at least in that particular scene?

seemo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 20, 2015, 01:17:53 PM »

Yeah totally! Right now the cursor colours are set at the start of a level, but each level contains multiple heads with different colour schemes. The next step is to have per-head colours so that it always fits and contrasts nicely.
seemo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2015, 08:57:46 AM »

We submitted to the IGF a few weeks ago so we worked a bunch on visual polish. Some things that are missing right now from the visual side: gradient backgrounds (issues with how we use fog) and actual image backgrounds. Originally the plan was to keep the heads floating in a void but as we experiment with VR, having some background elements for depth is turning out to be really important. In the meantime we're really liking how the game's visuals are shaping up now that we've refined the process. Here are some new screenshots:

nnyei
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2015, 09:34:01 AM »

This looks really awesome! Can't wait to play it!
danielgoffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: November 10, 2015, 06:10:46 AM »

Oh, this looks good. I remember playing a very early build at the IGF 2014. It has come a long way since then.

<3

flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: November 10, 2015, 06:29:37 PM »

Whoa bros! Trippy style... It's blowin' my gnoggin. You are wizards of the highest calibur WizardHand Thumbs Up Right

siskavard
« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2015, 03:26:46 PM »

the colors! THE COLORS!
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2017, 06:21:46 AM »

This came out today for PS4.

the music on this trailer doeeee  Gomez Gomez Gomez

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Juliano
Level 0

@3dju

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2017, 08:06:00 AM »

This looks great! I love the design, the style, it's weird and beautiful! Congrats on publishing for PS4! Great work, definitely looking forward to play it.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic