Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:43:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookThe Lake [Finished]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Lake [Finished]  (Read 39250 times)
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: November 25, 2008, 10:20:37 PM »

I got this idea while reading the Commonplace Book, searching for something achievable on a short schedule. Something in one particular entry triggered my imagination, and what I make available to you here is pretty much that. I enjoy creating things just as they were conceived in my mind originally--that is, not really questioning too much if it works, if it will be well received, etc.; in general, I get a higher sense of satisfaction if it works, and if it doesn't, there's always next time. In this case, it was almost like a waking dream, and I tried to put that feeling into the game.

Don't expect a gameplay game; this is a short interactive story, if you will. It's not a text game, either! It's very brief, so I hope you enjoy the few minutes it will take you to finish it.

Download The Lake v1.0 (3.6 MB, Windows)

It's version 1.0 because I might make some fixes or improvements before the deadline, but if I don't have the time, I still consider this version finished.

It was made in Construct during most of Saturday, Monday and Tuesday, so it's a 3 day game, I guess. The music I started making before, though, and the idea had been gestating since before that, but not much else got done.

reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 11:33:17 PM »

Good job on making something creepy. This is probably going to give me nightmares. Grin

Hello!  I am here to boogie.  Shall we?
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 11:36:19 PM »

Brilliant intro, an intriguing rest of it.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 01:28:38 AM »

Sorry folks, didn't think that would be a spoiler.

But, really, anyone else got this problem?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 03:05:10 AM by Gainsworthy » Logged
increpare
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 01:35:21 AM »

Rowing was nice. Then the boat got to... a tree? Your name appeared, and the game crashed. Anyone else got this problem?
you should probably spoilerproof that.
Renton
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 01:53:00 AM »

Rowing was nice. Then the boat got to... a tree? Your name appeared, and the game crashed. Anyone else got this problem?
I think that's how the game ends.
policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 06:27:09 AM »

Great job man!
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 12:12:05 PM »

Thanks, guys. :)

problem

Could you describe what happened in detail? It sounds like you're talking about the ending, but it sounds like it might have glitched out, as well.

bicilotti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 03:25:30 PM »

Very interesting game indeed.

May I ask you what software did you use to make it?

Never mind, the big C in the game icon tells me it is probably Construct...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 03:29:24 PM by bicilotti » Logged

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 06:51:27 PM »

The first post also mentions it was made in Construct! You didn't need to brush up on your detective skills.

bicilotti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 11:39:28 PM »

The first post also mentions it was made in Construct! You didn't need to brush up on your detective skills.

Touché.

KniteBlargh
Level 4

Blargh...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 09:27:07 PM »

I really enjoyed this. Good job man! Grin

DoctorAnus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 09:58:11 PM »

I feel a little underwhelmed. The game's aesthetic is very well-realized, with great graphics (although the high tones of the music might be the SLIGHTEST bit annoying), but it is so short and the oneiric elements are so few that it failed to communicate the mood intended, as far as I am concerned. I feel that I am missing something, even though I ran it three times. The tapping controls also personnally got me out of the atmosphere, and getting stuck in the dark waters wasn't very fun either.

Nevertheless, I think you display a very interesting style, and look forward to your next attempt.
DoctorAnus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 10:01:29 PM »

Nicely chilling voice intro too. Good part of the reason I was disappointed (starting expectations were very high!).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 10:06:54 PM by DoctorAnus » Logged
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 11:58:38 PM »

Thank you! I agree on all accounts--I just didn't have the time to make a more polished and complete game. Just a tiny bit more to discover would have been enough to me, but alas. The game is what it is.

increpare
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 05:09:14 PM »

I have several about this. 

Firstly, it seemed like a really worthwhile game to me, and I'm happy to have played it. 

The control mechanic, as other people commented, wasn't particularly conductive to the mood it seemed that you might want to be presenting. 

Also the physics of controlling the boat seemed a bit weird.  It felt occasionally, when I was pointing diagonally, that my boat was sliding a little? (not moving in the direction it was pointed). 

The music was a bit piercing (though I do play this on a trebley macbook).  I can't but imagine that it must have driven you mad when you were testing it (either that, or you wrote it right at the end). 

That said, the ending really caught me off guard...it was pretty-darnedly effective...
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2008, 04:08:58 AM »

Thanks! I'm glad it wasn't wasted time.

I don't think that the music is that bad, though the triangle wave was probably not the best option for the high pitched instrument. I believe it does depend on your speakers, as well. But eh, I'm a terrible music composer. The mechanics are SUPER BOAT ROWING SIMULATION! The boat skids around because that's what boats do, kind of. Do you think that instead of tapping, just holding would have been better? I mean holding left and right, not up and down.

increpare
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2008, 04:23:48 AM »

I don't think that the music is that bad, though the triangle wave was probably not the best option for the high pitched instrument.
Cool.  I completely respect your right to stick with whatever music you think sounds best.

Do you think that instead of tapping, just holding would have been better? I mean holding left and right, not up and down.
Holding left/right for continued rowing action?  I think it would be worth testing out, for sure.
Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2008, 07:08:28 AM »

Also the physics of controlling the boat seemed a bit weird.  It felt occasionally, when I was pointing diagonally, that my boat was sliding a little? (not moving in the direction it was pointed).

The impression I got of the movement was that there were more possible facings for the boat than were represented by sprites. Once I cottoned on that you could be pointing in one of about 3 different directions without appearing to turn, thus producing the 'skidding' effect, I started to get the hang of it.

As for feedback, I got quite carried away with the exploration of the lake so the conclusion of the game really caught me out and left me feeling pretty spooked. Very eerie as a whole, and I think a resounding success. Not sure if I would've felt as involved with a different control mechanism but then there's already a pretty solid consensus on that front  Wink
PixelScum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2008, 11:48:53 AM »

I pretty much echo all of the movement comments, it didn't really help the pace but all in all it was completely fantastic.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic