Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:27:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookThe Lake [Finished]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: The Lake [Finished]  (Read 39121 times)
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2008, 12:07:19 PM »

Congrats on getting a mention on Rock, Paper, Shotgun!

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2008, 12:32:33 PM »

Good game.  It's short and sweet, and the end made me grin like an idiot because it was pretty clever.

I think the rowing mechanic was pretty good overall, but it was a little too easy to get stuck on things. 

I didn't mind the music either, I thought it was nice and creepy.  Though I can see what some people are saying about the high-pitched instrument.

Also, good to see another Construct entry Beer!.  It's nice to see people starting to use it.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Introversity
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2008, 05:49:40 AM »

Spoiler:

I swear I saw a horse in the middle somewhere. Maybe I'm just going crazy.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 03:22:42 PM »

Wow, this is the first time something I made got linked by, you know, places that actually get visited. So happy!

Thanks for the heads-up, nihilocrat!

mildmojo
Level 1

summer rain (soon)

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 03:36:53 PM »

In Wine: "You need the August 2008 DirectX update in order to run this application."

Ah, well.

DEMAKE compo entry: Road Trip: Southwest USA
Bob le Moche
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008, 08:26:16 PM »

I'm glad I played through twice because the first time spoiler.
I had no problem with the controls or physics, they were perfect for this.
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2008, 02:21:32 AM »

Hi agj, I hate to trouble you. I wanted to play The Lake, which looks really neat, but I'm getting a blank screen on startup. There's no DirectX error message.

Windows XP, 1.8 Ghz Athlon, 1 GB RAM, nVidia 6800.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2008, 10:16:04 AM »

Dammit. There's not much I can do myself, except for directing you to the latest DirectX runtimes. Since I'm using Construct, I don't have much control over this, but if you do install them and it doesn't work, let me know so I can tell people over at the Scirra boards.

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2008, 09:53:08 PM »

If I open the game without pressing any keys, it sits in the blank, black screen forever.

But I was frantically mashing keys, hoping to be able to play the game, and I discovered that if I hit return there's a fade from the black screen into the title. The game works fine after that, though there is no sound.

Other than that one hitch, I really like the game. The rowing physics felt really good, and the pixel art was tasteful. The end was tingly and exciting.

Congratulations on getting mentioned on Rock, Paper, Shotgun! You're also in the CPB video on the TIGS main page, which got featured on the IndieGames blog as well.
http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2008/12/commonplace_book_competition_e.html
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2008, 02:15:08 AM »

Nice little game you made there.  (Or gayme or entertainment executable or whatever people decided to call art-games-that-aren't-really-games-in-the-traditional-sense.)

I found it pretty interesting to see the different ways we'd handled the mechanic of rowing (my entry was Death Lights Dancing, the mouse rowing one).  I think it's cool how we had kind of the same idea but completely different takes on it.
Beer!
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2008, 10:24:26 AM »

But I was frantically mashing keys, hoping to be able to play the game, and I discovered that if I hit return there's a fade from the black screen into the title. The game works fine after that, though there is no sound.

Ah, no sound! That explains it. Yes, there is a narrated intro to go with that black screen, but if you can't hear it, obviously you didn't realize that the game was about to start in a few seconds.

Thank you very much for your compliments! Sorry about the technical issues.

brog, yeah! I was thinking the same thing at first when I played your game, but then I forgot because it really goes in different directions compared to mine.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2008, 10:30:21 AM »

WTF Oh shit mang AHA that was excellent. Number one.
It reminds me of a B horror movie 

Also this construct thing looks very interesting judging by the couple of entries using it.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
cmspice
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2008, 04:03:07 PM »

wowa creepy! I enjoyed it. Almost DID NOT enjoy it because I was sailing too far from the floaty thingies. Quit, read this thread, went back and finished it.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2008, 01:51:40 PM »

Grin

Nice, got my vote!
I really liked how the voice in the beginning settled some kind of a realistic or documentary-like atmosphere. At the end I was like "Is that a...? Am I supposed to go here? Eh... What? Wtf?"

And then I got a little chill down my spine, which is the best review I can give a game in this compo Wink
Phasma Felis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2009, 01:05:40 PM »

Hey, very belated reply here Smiley Just played this, and it was great. Was not expecting to get that tingly fear feeling from a little pixel game. Well done.

My one thought on the gameplay is that it might work better to add some frames to the rowing animations, so you have to hold the key for a second to get a full pull on the oar, but you get more power out of each pull. I think that'd be a more convincing rowboat simulation, and encourage a slow rhythm that draws you into the game's atmosphere more than the current frantic tapping. Probably much too late, though. Smiley Keep up the good work!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic