Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411499 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:28:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessMarketing a game's launch
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Marketing a game's launch  (Read 2566 times)
erik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 08, 2013, 03:24:05 PM »

Our game, Life Goes On, is getting close to completion, and our team has been working on our plan for launch.  There are a lot of good articles available about marketing indie games in general, but I wasn't able to find much information about maximizing the impact of game launch.  With that in mind, I want to share the plan that we came up with.  Hopefully it provide some useful information for others, and it would be great to get feedback, and find out if there is anything missing.

One important factor with our situation is that Life Goes On is largely a puzzle game, so early on we decided to avoid showing beta builds of the full game to players.  This means that we don't have Early Access, Alpha Funding, or an open beta.

In the AAA world, launch is critical, and massive advertising budgets are used to build hype and anticipation.  With indie games, the big budgets don't exists, and the sales cycle is often drawn out over long periods.  But there is still an opportunity to build some launch excitement. Particularly, we are working from the assumption that post launch a game is old news, and much more difficult to get reviews and press coverage after a game has been on the market for a while.

I look at reaching people in two different categories.  One is via the connections that we have made with players while marketing the project during its development.  These direct channels include our twitter account, facebook page, indiedb page, blog and mailing list.  The other group to reach out to is the media, including games journalists, bloggers, Let's Players, and podcasters.  Reading about indie game marketing in general, it's often repeated that twitter and personalized email are the best ways to reach the media, so that's how we plan to proceed.  We also plan to post our news on reddit, and put out formal press releases.

With all of that in mind, here is the rough outline of our plan:

One month before launch:
   Announce our launch date and being taking preorders.  Preorders will go on sale on Steam, and directly from our website.  They will be offered at a small discount in order to give people some incentive to buy early.  I'm not sure if preorders will help with additional sales, but there doesn't seem to be any downside, so we plan to offer them.
   We will announce via our direct channels, as well as contacting the media via email.  For the media, our email will mention that we will be following up by sending them a review copies of the game in two weeks.

Two weeks before launch:
   Follow up with the media, sending out review copies and asking that they consider reviewing the game.  We will also ask that they hold the review until launch date, as the priority is trying to get people to buy the game when they see it.  Building hype might work with a big budget, but for us, we hope to convert any exposure we get directly to sales.  There is no way we can expect to enforce a press embargo or anything, but we will ask nicely, and ideally we will get maximum press exposure when the game is launched.  One benefit of offering preorders is that any media coverage that is published early still has a change to sell copies of the game.

One week before launch:
   Remind people that they have one week left to preorder the game at discount via direct channels.

Launch day:
   One more big push via direct channels and media to get the word out about launch.

On top of this, we plan to have a regular steam of screenshots, animations, and information about the game going out via twitter and facebook in the month leading up to launch.  Ideally we will have a new trailer ready to go when we announce our launch as well.

There isn't anything super complicated here, but hopefully it covers the basics, and gives people a place to start for planning a launch.  It would be great to discuss the plan, I'd love to hear feedback, and I would especially like to know if there is anything important that we are missing.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:35:03 PM by erik » Logged

Life Goes On - Use your dead bodies to solve puzzles and make progress.

Feedback Thread
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 03:49:41 PM »

your plan lacks specifics. for example,

Launch day:
   One more big push via direct channels and media to get the word out about launch.

what does that even mean? one big push how? what will that push consist of? pushing what? who are you going to email? what are you going to spend that day doing? that's way too general to mean anything

(if all you mean by that is sending out a press release and posting a status update on facebook and twitter, you could probably do better than that; something like that would take half an hour max; hardly a "big push")
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 04:04:42 PM by Paul Eres » Logged

erik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 05:04:37 PM »

your plan lacks specifics. for example,

Launch day:

what does that even mean? one big push how? what will that push consist of? pushing what? who are you going to email? what are you going to spend that day doing? that's way too general to mean anything

Okay, good point.  Launch day will consist of:
  • Formal Press Release
  • Launch announcement post on Twitter
  • Launch announcement post on Facebook
  • News post on IndieDB
  • News post on our blog
  • Reddit /r/indiegames post
  • Updating our old Feedback Thread here on TigSource?  (I'll have to read up on the rules about what's appropriate before doing that.)
  • Sending out personal emails to our media list. (Journalists, Lets Player's, Podcasters, Bloggers) The list is built from people who have covered the game already, people who have asked about the game or asked for review copies, and sites that we are targeting and hoping to get coverage from.  Messages will include:
    • A short reminder of who we are and what the game is.
    • News that the game is available.
    • A question asking if they have had a chance to look at the review copy that was sent earlier.
    • Another link to their review copy, in case they missed it the first time.
  • An email to the subscribers on our mailing list
  • Email and twitter requests to friends and industry contacts requesting that they spread the word.
  • Linking to press coverage and reviews on Twitter, Facebook and our Steam group.
  • Thank you messages to people who cover the game.
  • Go have some drinks with friends at the end of the day.

We will need to have as much of the writing drafted in advance as we can, particularly since we want to personalize our email to press as much as possible.

Announcing preorders and our launch date will be quite similar.  One month prior to launch, we will do the same outreach.  When we send out email to the meida, key points will be:
  • A short description of what the game is, and what is unique about it.
  • A reminder if they have covered the game at all previously.
  • When the game will launch, what platforms, what price.
  • News that preorders are available.
  • Let them know that we will be sending them a beta review copy in two weeks.

One thing that I'm not sure about for launch is paid advertising.  I suspect that banner ads on gaming sites would not be worth the money.  But it might be worth spending some money on Facebook to boost the reach of our launch announcement.  As well, Life Goes On isn't the most unique name in the world, so I wonder if buying Google AdWord placement for our name at launch time would be valuable.  Does anyone have any insight on this?

Feedback Thread
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 05:27:24 PM »

that's a lot better, yes. (perhaps you should expand your whole plan to be that detailed)

regarding adwords, you would not advertise people googleing for your game's name, that makes no sense. i've used google adwords before for my game "immortal defense" and it'd have made no sense if would have used "immortal defense" as keywords because if someone is googling for my game's name why would i want to advertise to them? they already know about it. instead you want to use key words that people search for regularly, words that are the type of thing your audience would google for. so for me that was "tower defense" and similar, because that was the game's genre. never use your game's title as a keyword

erik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 05:55:15 PM »

We aren't the top hit on google for Life Goes On, so I'm worried about people not scrolling down the page, or not finding out site in the listings.  We are on the first page of results though, so maybe I'm being paranoid, and adwords for the name is overkill.

Did you have good results using adwords for your game's genre?

Feedback Thread
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 06:26:26 AM »

i had okay results; i think the advertising broke even (as in, i earned back about as much money as i spent on it). which is actually a good thing, because it means you expand your audience so that those people might buy your future games. i think advertising really works best when you have a whole line of games and release them often, because each individual customer is worth more than if you only have one single game

OptimizeMyApps.com
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 04:56:37 AM »

@erik - Have you considered App Store Optimization?

You really need to Optimize your Apps Keywords, Icon & Screenshots. This is part of the marketing push you should keep in mind.

If your users find your App just through Keywords there is nothing like it. Its the best form of promotion.

OptimizeMyApps.com for Professional Help on App Store Optimization / App Promotion Services at Great Prices
bitserum
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 05:48:54 AM »

^ Funnily due to the length of username kind of reads like "con"

on topic of ads though, are Google ads the only worthwhile online ads to invest in?
yaaar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 10:36:40 AM »

Would you also consider promoting your Facebook post on launch day? Facebook's changed their algorithm lately to expose page posts less in order to enourage more promoted posts. Will probably be worth it. I'm looking at the FB page of my own game, which has similar numbers of likes to yours, and it's saying that spending $40 to promote a post will reach 5800 to 15000 people.

Games that add value and challenge.

Facebook|Twitter|Website
OptimizeMyApps.com
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 09:15:08 PM »

^ Funnily due to the length of username kind of reads like "con"

on topic of ads though, are Google ads the only worthwhile online ads to invest in?

Instead of Google Ads I would opt for App Facebook install Ads. This has been the most effective & targeted way to advertise. You only pay if someone installs your App. Facebook also allows you to define your target audience very narrowly as opposed to Google, so for example if you want to target 16 to 20 year old's who love say Arcade Gaming you could probably do that on Facebook.

Essentially you pay only for Installs, which is Great if you ask me

OptimizeMyApps.com for Professional Help on App Store Optimization / App Promotion Services at Great Prices
Wei
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 10:22:53 PM »

I think one more thing you can consider is looking for other game developers/studio who make similar games as yours.
And ask them if you can cross promote your game with them.
I've been trying to do something similar, but haven't start yet, I though it might be a good idea?

We make anime inspired games! | AnimuGame - developer websiteTwitter
locknic
Level 1

Dominic Mortlock

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 12:48:34 AM »

I personally haven't come close to making a commercial game, but this post was a really interesting read.

I know you are asking for feedback here, but if you have the time, I would be really interested to read how the marketing for your game worked right from the start. For example, at what point you made a facebook page, started posting on forums, and how you started to gather a following for stuff like your twitter, etc.

P.S. The game looks awesome.

erik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 01:39:47 PM »

Would you also consider promoting your Facebook post on launch day? Facebook's changed their algorithm lately to expose page posts less in order to enourage more promoted posts. Will probably be worth it. I'm looking at the FB page of my own game, which has similar numbers of likes to yours, and it's saying that spending $40 to promote a post will reach 5800 to 15000 people.

We ended up experimenting with paying for promoted posts on Facebook, by paying the minimum ~$35 dollar fee on a few posts.  While Facebook reports very high exposure numbers, we didn’t find that it have an enormous impact on click through percentages and that sort of thing.  It was reasonably effective at at gaining new likes for the page though.  Unfortunately spending the money seems to be pretty critical to reaching your audience.

I think the reality of trying to build any sort of following on Facebook these days is that you need to have a monthly budget to promote your posts.

I know you are asking for feedback here, but if you have the time, I would be really interested to read how the marketing for your game worked right from the start. For example, at what point you made a facebook page, started posting on forums, and how you started to gather a following for stuff like your twitter, etc.

We started by showing the game to local tech and game dev groups, and the encouragement there got us to start developing an online presence.  If you have a project that you are serious about, or want to build a following as a game developer, I think that establishing a website and twitter account as soon as possible is a good idea.  We found that getting feedback on early game prototypes from the feedback forms here, and reddit’s /r/gamedev was super helpful as well.

I can’t say that I’m an expert on what it takes to really connect with people, and establish an audience though.  Having something to share is important.  Sharing screenshots, trailers, demos, and blog posts all help to get attention and get people to follow you.

P.S. The game looks awesome.

Thanks!

The game is launched now, and as soon as I have a bit more time, I plan to come back to our marketing plan to look at what we’ve learned, and evaluate what worked well, and what didn’t.

Feedback Thread
locknic
Level 1

Dominic Mortlock

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 08:35:15 AM »

The game is launched now, and as soon as I have a bit more time, I plan to come back to our marketing plan to look at what we’ve learned, and evaluate what worked well, and what didn’t.

Any updates? :3

Substance_G
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 03:08:28 AM »

Avoiding any sort of beta testing or playtesting just because it's a puzzle game isn't wise. I understand not wanting to show all the mechanics or puzzle solutions to fans. Jonathan Blow has a similar concern with The Witness and only shows short sections of the game. However, he still playtests the hell out of it and pays attention to people's reactions who play it during events. I hope you're at least playtesting it internally... but developers playtesting games isn't ideal. It's sort of like a mechanic testing out a car he built on his own. He might think everything feels right and anyone else who drove it would love it, but maybe someone else would find the seat too low and another person would find the steering not responsive enough. Not all feedback you get will be constructive or relevant. But playtesting and QA is essential for ANY game. Valve emphasizes that with all their games. No matter what your opinion of Valve or the quality of their products is, I haven't heard many people complain that their games are difficult to pick up and play or that they had to stop playing because they lost track of where to go next. These are the sort of nagging issues only caught by using playtesters.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 03:21:12 AM by Substance_G » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic