Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 07:25:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[WIN][MAC] WizardWizard v2.8, Dope new update
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [WIN][MAC] WizardWizard v2.8, Dope new update  (Read 10105 times)
CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2013, 12:19:19 AM »

You can't do spells but you can jump pretty good!

ABOUT
WizardWizard has been a game I've been developing for the past while on and off and its finally finished! WizardWizard has transformed from a tiny game consisting of 8 levels to a slightly bigger tiny game of 25 levels. WizardWizard is based off the Grandma Engine by Matt Thorson which means the controls and physics are super tight. WizardWizard is backed by the music prodigy _TWC which makes the gameplay head banging-ly awesome. WizardWizard is 100% free and always will be, so please give it a go Smiley

If you enjoy hardcore platformers like Jumper, Meatboy, Give Up Robot and VVVVVV I'm sure this will be your cup of tea. For all you Lets-Players WizardWizard could be the game for you, its short, enjoyably teeth grinding and entertaining to watch. I try to watch all WizardWizard related videos so please throw me a link if you make a video!
PICTURES AND STUFF

GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE

I found this little gem by JeuMePresente

PLAY HERE
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 02:38:15 AM by CrateBoy » Logged

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 12:44:33 AM »

Damn, stopped played at 55 death counts on the map with those small spiky balls falling on me.

cool graphics and also as you said cool music.

the only thing that's off is that I'm playing a wizard and I can't cast spells, only double jump, how is that any magycks

CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 05:07:35 AM »

Damn, stopped played at 55 death counts on the map with those small spiky balls falling on me.

cool graphics and also as you said cool music.

the only thing that's off is that I'm playing a wizard and I can't cast spells, only double jump, how is that any magycks

Thanks for the response. As for not being able to use magic, it's sorta been a running joke in its development. The story centers around Wizz the character you play as, being born into a world of magic and happens to be the only one without the ability to do any magic. The bad guy of the story, steals the magical scepter and uses it to drain all the magic in the world for himself and suddenly all the other wizards are like fish out of water so they all turn immediately to Wizz. And that's where his adventure starts.
 Smiley

Mauricio Gomes
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 05:14:40 AM »

There is a robot anime about that.

The anime that I forgot the name, is about a planet (I think it is earth in a far future) where everyone can do magic (magic is: manipulate quartz crystals shape upon touching them), but ONE guy can't. And it happens he is friend of the best soldier of country x, and of king of country y, and the two countries are at war, and this ONE guy that cannot use magic, find old mechanical and electrical giant robot, and only he can pilot it (sadly the anime crappily does not give any explanation of why magic users cannot use a normal robot...), and of course that robot is awesome, so it is up to this guy to prevent his friends from killing each other and save the world from a world war in the process.

My company site: www.kidoteca.com
My blog: www.coderofworlds.com
ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 05:22:06 AM »

there's also an anime where a guy from our world is teleported to a world where everybody can use magic and he also is friends with highest nobles and a queen. they find out a giant warplane from his world and only he can pilot it.
why is it so similar

CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 07:00:30 AM »

Hahah, nice. I don't watch much anime at all but I imagine the underdog + outcast theme would be a common theme. I dunno, I just personally find a bit of humor in the idea of a wizard who can't do magic.  Wizard
I like to think sometimes that maybe Wizz just really likes LARPing.

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 07:01:30 AM »

have you read disk world series by terry pratchett?

there's a wizard like that named Rincewind

CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 07:05:56 AM »

have you read disk world series by terry pratchett?

there's a wizard like that named Rincewind

No actually, but after some googling, that character sounds great. Maybe some inspiration as I incorporate the story in the game play.

AullenVerch
Level 0

The univertse is vast!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 12:54:24 AM »

I've always longed to be a wizard. Wizard I'll give it a go, great graphics...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 07:39:34 AM by AullenVerch » Logged
lobstersteve
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 05:05:28 PM »

awesome! you've managed to come up with a lot of cool ideas just with moving spikes  Smiley
graphics are great too.
CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 05:17:16 PM »

2.5 was released!

There is finally an ending at the end of WizardWizard after conquering all 22 levels. The ending is prone to change but I like it. So if something were to happen to me and I can't bare to work on the game any longer (unlikely) there is at least something at the end of the game for those skilled enough to beat it.

New stuff in 2.5:
A beautiful (cinematic?) ending
More beautiful stars
More interactive (placeholder?) characters
More music
Updated credits
Little fixes and stuff
DOWNLOAD

IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

TheCusp
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 07:13:40 PM »

Great game!

Love the atmosphere of the simple graphics.  The level designs are great, challenging but not frustrating enough to make me want to punch someone.

If I might suggest a small additions, perhaps something happens as your number of deaths rises.  Like maybe your wizard changes color after so many deaths. Or becomes a lich.
CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 01:09:00 AM »

If I might suggest a small additions, perhaps something happens as your number of deaths rises.  Like maybe your wizard changes color after so many deaths. Or becomes a lich.

That's an excellent idea.

billyboob
Level 0

Kitty

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 03:20:55 AM »

Spoiler: Would be cool if guy in red cape was the princess who was just off doing her own thing and didn't need rescuing.

Game is fun. Every now and then a level sneaks up on you and 30, 40, 50 deaths later...

No beats for me, must be a Wine thing tho, so no matter.
CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 06:33:14 AM »

Spoiler: Would be cool if guy in red cape was the princess who was just off doing her own thing and didn't need rescuing.

I really like that idea to. That's very clever.

Game is fun. Every now and then a level sneaks up on you and 30, 40, 50 deaths later...

No beats for me, must be a Wine thing tho, so no matter.

Were there any levels you thought were out of order or should have been later into the game?
I'm not sure what you mean by beats? As in you didn't beat the game, or you couldn't hear the phat beats playing in the background?

billyboob
Level 0

Kitty

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 02:46:38 PM »

Were there any levels you thought were out of order or should have been later into the game?
I'm not sure what you mean by beats? As in you didn't beat the game, or you couldn't hear the phat beats playing in the background?

There were a couple of levels that were easier then the preceding ones. I'll have to play through again and note which. You could always leave them in that order and add more character/story interaction. Sort of like I put a bit of adventure in my hard as nails platformer.

Music didn't happen. But like I said, maybe cuz I'm using Wine. So no biggy.

Edit: So I just raced through the game and the only level that seemed easier was 17. Thought there was def another but whatevs Grin Must have been super tired last night cuz I was close to 300 deaths. This morning, not so much.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 03:51:48 PM by billyboob » Logged
CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 06:16:07 PM »

There were a couple of levels that were easier then the preceding ones. I'll have to play through again and note which. You could always leave them in that order and add more character/story interaction. Sort of like I put a bit of adventure in my hard as nails platformer.

Music didn't happen. But like I said, maybe cuz I'm using Wine. So no biggy.

Edit: So I just raced through the game and the only level that seemed easier was 17. Thought there was def another but whatevs Grin Must have been super tired last night cuz I was close to 300 deaths. This morning, not so much.

Do the other sounds work? I've had no experience with Wine and don't know if its something I can really fix unfortunately.
Thanks for play testing it again Smiley
Level 17 is one of those levels where I've noticed is really easy for some and really hard for others. I think some tweeking might be needed. I'm really keen on adding some character interaction, without interrupting gameplay to much. I've got something planned!

Thanks for all the help mate!

CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 09:21:41 AM »

I've implemented billyboob's ending idea and more NPC chats and have been working on jump rope.

billyboob
Level 0

Kitty

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 05:03:44 PM »

Do the other sounds work? I've had no experience with Wine and don't know if its something I can really fix unfortunately.
Thanks for play testing it again Smiley
Level 17 is one of those levels where I've noticed is really easy for some and really hard for others. I think some tweeking might be needed. I'm really keen on adding some character interaction, without interrupting gameplay to much. I've got something planned!

Thanks for all the help mate!

Ya other sounds work. You should make linux build anyway! Haha. omg an extra $100 for linux support on gms? Am I reading that right?
CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 06:40:49 PM »

Ya other sounds work. You should make linux build anyway! Haha. omg an extra $100 for linux support on gms? Am I reading that right?

If I could afford it, I totally would. In future it could totally be a thing.

Saying that it's not as bad as the "YYC compiler" which is an export at $300 and makes all your games capable of running x100 faster.
I've payed $200 for the slow version of gamemaker, but for an extra $300 I can get a faster processing.
 Crazy

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic