Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:47:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDoctor Who : A Brilliant Game [Final-Released]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Doctor Who : A Brilliant Game [Final-Released]  (Read 26632 times)
Immudelki
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 14, 2013, 01:09:46 PM »

Obviously a fan game. It's also necessary to see the movie before playing if you want to fully understand most of the challenges of the game. We are two french artists working on the game : Vicoline and Myself (Immudelki)

It's a small adventure game based on the events of the movie "The Day Of The Doctor" for the 50th Anniversary of the franchise. In the art style of Superbrothers. There's minigames, qte, puzzles and dialogs sequences with multiple choices. It's clearly a little game though.
It's based on several scenes that appears in the film, in chronological order. It also contains original dialogs, giving a new perspective on the story (more on a humor vibe), and a few original scenes that never happen but we found interesting to add or to modify.

You can watch the trailer here :

And you can play to the final version here :

Hope you will enjoy it Wink

You can spread and show your support on the Facebook page as well Smiley

« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 03:06:46 AM by Immudelki » Logged

Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 11:24:40 AM »

omg this looks insane  Tears of Joy

So long and thanks for all the pi
DrunkDevs
Level 1

Drink beer and make games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 11:39:12 AM »

I like the style you have gone for. It looks very nice.

Want more Drunk Devs?
DrunkDevs.com / Facebook / Twitter

Current Devlog:
Kegbot
Immudelki
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 02:18:55 PM »

Oh lord Tears of Joy, I was really annoyed that the topic has gone so fast into the other pages (2-3-4) of the forum, it's such incredibly active ! But you still manage to read it, thanks and thank you for your support  Gentleman

Anyway, here's some news  Durr...? !

We are fans of Doctor Who since 5 years, and creating a game about it is particularly exciting for the reasons that we do not planned to make a huge game where we can't see the end. This is a particularly fast project to produce. But we're still gonna update it after the first release of course.

Since we didn't see almost no fan-game at all on Doctor Who (apart from very very basic flash games), we decided to make that one, but for delay reasons, we are according ourselves to concentrate only on a few scenes.
The choice of doing pixel art is about time (less time than big HD screen panoramas), immersion (less is better) and look (we assume some retro vibe in the game).

From Movie to Game Scene :

As an example in this upgraded first scene, it will include Clara going into the Tardis on a motorbike.
Depending on a QTE where you have to push a button at the right time, you will crash on the doors or there will open, like in the movie.
This kind of choices will lead to a new scene where the doctor complains about what happened, etc..
That's the kind of new narrative segments we like to include.

Concept :

In the same idea, here is an early wip of a place (a famous sculptor that, of course, the doctor will know) that do not appear in the movie but where we can experiments some new dialogs and character.

By the way, we've got an IndieDB page if you want to show your support a little bit more.. :
http://www.indiedb.com/games/doctor-who-brilliant-game

Gomez

louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 02:48:50 PM »

ah so perfect
Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 05:11:35 PM »

Odd. I had a similar idea for a Doctor Who game... Adventure game with puzzle elements and that very exact visual style.

Although my idea was to essentially remake the classic series as an adventure game (probably too complex an effort to pull off in a decent timeframe).

In any case, neat project, cheers!  Beer!

Immudelki
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 12:22:50 PM »

Thanks for comments Smiley

Oskuro>> mmh, it seems that this superbrothers kind of art style seems a logical choice, you're not the first one to say us that Who, Me? Anyway, I hope so that we will give a good example of what a doctor who game can be with this style. And then, maybe this will motivate you or others to make more games like that about doctor who, who knows ? yep. Who..nose..

Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 07:07:38 PM »

Probably the simple, clean and retro style fits the whole Doctor Who theme quite well.

Or maybe I saw a rendering of all the different Doctors in that style some time ago and that's what sparked the idea...

Spoiler: It was exactly that. Can't remember where. Some Deviantart page with pixelized versions of characters, like the characters from Tron Legacy, and of course all the Doctors. I think it was there.

In any case, I hope you guys have fun placing as many easter eggs as possible within the Black Archive... Extremely dangerous red high-heel shoes included  Wink

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 08:29:52 PM »

I too had an idea for a point and click adventure game in a very similar style. I'd never make it though.

This looks great, good luck on finishing it.

Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 08:10:29 AM »

If I might make a (spoiler-laden) suggestion...

For the final "all 13 of them!" scene, you could add a series of scenes before hand where the Doctors need to recruit all of the others.

Would be a nice opportunity to throw the old Doctors in, and you could even throw in an in-joke about the 9th not wanting to participate at first  Smiley

Immudelki
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 10:44:17 AM »

The final scene has already a mini game based on memory about tardis positionning in the atmosphere. We might add the kind of scene you're talking about. But since it takes three days per scene (approximately, we don't work that way but whatever) we shouldn't be able to add it for the beta of 31th December.

However, maybe in the January version... We might think about that. And great idea about the nine doctor indeed ^^.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 11:16:33 AM »

Not to be a buzzkill but have you at least a preliminary 'go ahead' from any official source? With these fan games, even when stating 'this free fan game is free and fan fun' types of things it's something that might become an issue. It looks (and sounds to be) really great and it'd be a shame if you weren't allowed to make it all of the sudden.

Good luck Gentleman

Immudelki
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 11:24:28 AM »

We don't. But frankly, I do not think it would be an issue (but it would explain why there is not so much fangames ^^). And I wouldn't know where to inform them moreover.

I had done that for three years with my other game IFSCL (code lyoko animated series), and therefore it's a precise replica of a computer that appears in the show andthe game is well known in the official community, but no official ever makes me problem.

Since I don't ask money for it, and I'm not exactly perverting the show, or using tons of their own assets (photography...), I'm more like making free advertisement for them. Plus we do not use original art or music (only a few, in 16 bits moreover), it can be treated like FanFiction. And I never seen banned FanFiction ^^.

I don't think this will be a problem.

As an other example, the well known youtuber Charlie McDonnel has done an entire music album on Doctor Who, and didn't seemed to get problems so...

Thanks for your concern  Ninja

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 11:33:14 AM »

Yeah, BBC might be more civilized about this than anything in, let's say America and Japan, would be.

Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 03:49:58 PM »

Seeing how the BBC seems to have given up on Doctor Who adventure games, it probably won't be a a problem, as they'll see no conflict.

It really is a shame, though, the Powder Keg Conspiracy game was rather good (compared to the previous ones). I'd have loved to have more of those.

Immudelki
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 11:45:45 PM »

Here is some news about the doctor, riding a horse with the Queen Elizabeth. No real mini game plan (altough it has been said we shall make something like 'press button to avoid the princess to hit the tardis doors')

This short scene will include references to Reinette (the princess that Tenth Doctor had fallen in love with). And jealousy that might occur from Elizabeth.

These will be followed with picnic Scene or, depending on youre choice, rabbit scene :

How can't you think of dozens of mini games that can be made from that scene !

Then, here is some sneak peek of the first badwolf mini game. The original cube (called 'the moment') was a good start to make other minigames, since every face is different. But for delay purpose, we choose more variety with more scenes, and less mini games per scene) There will be an other minigame, but only involving the second time where the farm will appear, and this will be about some big red button... :

To conclude, some scene concepts. With a rejected point a view of the farm (face view, pretty, but now working with the other scenes configuration) :

That's all for today  Blink
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 02:10:26 AM by Immudelki » Logged

Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 09:12:57 AM »

Here is some news about the doctor, riding a horse with the Queen Elizabeth. No real mini game plan (altough it has been said we shall make something like 'press button to avoid the princess to hit the tardis doors')

Hmmm, seeing a horse always makes me think you could throw in a little "Robot Unicorn Attack" minigame. Maybe inside the TARDIS as the Doctor rides out with the Queen, jumping over equipement? But it might not fit with the scene.

Then again, a "runner" engine could be re-used in several scenes (I'm thinking Clara's ride to the TARDIS at the start of the game).

Just a suggestion! Don't panic!

EDIT: And that face view of the farm is screaming "Cut away to me when the two TARDISes arrive!"

In any case, great stuff!  Gentleman

Immudelki
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 12:06:50 PM »

In fact, for the same delays reasons as before, I do not plan to add a camera with horizontal scrolling (might slow down the game performances since I don't have time to optimize or anything, but It is good to have a constraint like that to be more creative ^^), so all those kind of runner mini games are mostly to hard to implement  Wink
But still, you're robot unicorn attack type of minigame in the tardis is pretty good Toast Right

Reaper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 01:40:02 PM »

Awesome stuff, I love the design, and the gameplay does look fun (I sort of imagine the gameplay from looking at the screenshots  Grin).

Guess I'll test it out in the next few days once the beta is out.

TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 05:50:32 PM »

Oh lord Tears of Joy, I was really annoyed that the topic has gone so fast into the other pages (2-3-4) of the forum, it's such incredibly active !

That's quite normal, don't worry about it when you make another devlog Smiley

The game looks *ehem* brilliant! Great visual style - following, and looking forward to trying it on the 30th.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic