Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:59:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWhat the hell did you do this year?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: What the hell did you do this year?  (Read 6479 times)
Moshfunk
Level 0

Bleb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 01:31:48 AM »

Nothing!

I have dozens of game ideas, excels, designs, overall plans but no progress.  Sad

I didn't get into the university once again (architecture, it's difficult place to get into in Finland). I feel that's a bit of a holder since I have to work all day long and don't feel like doing anything afterwards.

I lack discipline. Next year is going to be different!

Still no gaems.
Ammypendent
Level 0

Indiedev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2013, 07:12:13 PM »

I did quite a bit!

Participated in Global Game Jam as my first game jam and completed a game!
Read many gamedev related books such as Flow, Power of Habit, etc.
Learned a good deal of C# and working with Unity.
Went to GDC  Gentleman
'Visited' some of my college's game design classes and playtested some senior projects.
With my partner we took our prototype game and are right now in the last 10% of development and will release it very soon!

Twitter
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2013, 06:38:00 AM »

Ok so enough people have posted in this thread that I don't feel like I'm spamming by posting what I did this year.

I spent more time updating existing games and working on new games than I did making and releasing games.  The only game I released was Zero Cross, which took ~2 months to make.  I updated the existing Flash games a zillion times and added/improved so much stuff that the original releases look like beta/prototype versions.  I also put lots of work into the next games I plan on releasing.  I have 15 (yeah, stupidly large number) games in various stages of development.  2014 is going to be focused entirely on getting these new games finished and released.  Of course, not all 15 of them .. I doubt I'll have all of them finished by the end of 2015!
mankoon
Level 4

And that is how you get to Llama School.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2013, 12:07:31 AM »

This year was the first time we ever tried green light and Indie DB. We were lucky to be greenlit and we released Valdis Story on Steam, GOG, Humble, gamers gate and Desura! I also got our last game in indieroyale ( it's there right now actually)  Things are going pretty good despite it being a really rough year for me.

Next year I'll be learning spriter, learning gamemaker for myself, working on a new project  and putting it in greenlight a lot sooner.

bsp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2013, 01:25:57 AM »

Woah! It's easy to miss just how much has happened until you have to summarize it.

• Completed a very large portion of our game
  • Found our way to PAX Prime as volunteers at the Indie MEGABOOTH
  • Found our way to IndieCade and took part in the Game Taste Test (marking our first time ever showcasing the game)
  • Got approved on Greenlight in around three and a half days
  • Secured a distribution deal with Nintendo for bringing our game to the Wii U
  • Acquired booth space for SXSW next year
  • Acquired two invitations to the upcoming Steam Dev Days (thanks, Kelly!)
  • This is one is sort of a mash up of the others, but we met a whole lot of new developers/related support people that we have formed a wide array of relationships with

Next year:
  • Release hopefully???
  • Secure a distribution deal with Sony
  • Steam Dev Days trip
  • PAX East trip
  • PAX Prime trip
  • SXSW trip
  • IndieCade trip
  • ???Mystical question marks because the future is spooky???
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 11:34:55 AM by CordellC » Logged

aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2013, 06:22:50 PM »

A ton! I started getting into computer game development in March I think it was. Since then...

* I've learned the basics of C, C#, GML, HTML, CSS, and JS. I've settled on mastering JS right now and hope to accomplish the game of month thing over the next year starting in January.
* I'm competent with Unity, Game Maker, GIMP, Tiled(I figured out how to use most of the advanced features with JS), Spine, and Pyxel.
* I'm getting pretty good at 2d pixel art.
* I found out all that drawing I did as a kid paid off, I can draw apparently. Not pro yet, but people want to pay me to do it.
* I'm nearly complete with my first game collaboration.

So yeah, been a busy year, I think this next year is gonna be jammin.  Cheesy Hand Thumbs Up Right

TwistedJenius
Level 0

Entertainment with Brains, Brains with Bite!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2013, 11:44:37 PM »

We finally released our first game (after five years in development!).  I also learned a lot about marketing and the indie game scene in general this year. 

Additionally, we've decided what our next project will be (to be announced). 

Here's the DevLog of the game I'm currently working on- Reptile Zoo: The Sinister Mutation
Vote for it on Steam Greenlight!
Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2013, 12:23:11 AM »

I got my first big game art commission and was able to make a stable living by selling pixel art.

I also realized that I don't want to make games. Ever.

cooooool

BoxedLunch
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2013, 12:50:51 AM »

Got a bunch of art done, got my work in a few student art shows, and won second place for a scratchboard at a regional high school art exhibition at NIU. My art teacher has been really spotlighting my work, which feels great. Seeing my art teacher talking about my work in a powerpoint when i walk in during my free hour is kind of surreal though. I also got the highest ACT score in my school (30) and passed my first college class (Calc 1) with an A.

Really good year! I'm thinking next year will be even better! Smiley
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2013, 06:26:54 AM »

Released a handful of small games, one of which got featured in the game press. Made a bunch of playable prototypes for larger projects. Got my feet wet in a couple new frameworks, game types, and development styles.

More importantly, I've had a change in attitude. Something is obviously wrong when all my well-intentioned fun little hobby projects turn into major obstacles I need to procrastinate from. Some of it has to do with my neurotic tendencies, some of it with things I can easily change.

My new year's resolution would be to stop stressing so much. I'm shooting myself in the foot by starting too many projects for me to realistically handle, making devlogs for every single thing, and spamming my friends with every progress update. It just makes me feel pressured about not finishing those games, which makes me anxious to work on them, and the feedback loop grows. I'm supposed to make games for fun, they're not commitments, and imperfection is just something I need to deal with.

So I'm switching gears to "shut up about making games, just make games and have fun". I know I have all the technical skills and discipline to finish big projects, as long as I keep a realistic schedule and don't make such a counter-productively big deal about them.

I'll also see if I can team up with some of my gamedev friends in real life, since making games alone is in the end quite exhausting, and even miserable when I hit a creative block that could be solved with a fresh pair of eyes.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 06:38:21 AM by sublinimal » Logged
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2013, 10:34:04 AM »

worked on several small actionscript projects, several of them being art programs, one of them was a birthday present a english-czech learning game.  Joined Nukenine.  Started a large remake of the two of us.  abandoned it.  Started working on Vagante immediately after.

Next year:  Moving to Montreal come January, meet with local devs, finish Vagante, maybe have a ks campaign on the way, maybe start a few projects that I'll abandon, make a shit ton of art - hopefully have work up in a gallery at some point.
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2013, 06:13:40 PM »

quit working on witch princess to study art intensely

This makes my brain sad  Cry

This year I finished my first and second LD, worked on my programming, started a million different games that I ended up quiting, and learned Unity3D and GameMaker. Next year I hope to learn pixel art Tongue
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 06:19:14 PM by Slader16 » Logged

davemakes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2014, 06:47:35 AM »

Made an interval ear training game for iOS called Project Unison and made this

We worked with the Smithsonian Science Education Center and released Shutterbugs: Wiggle & Stomp for web, iOS, and Android.

Also did the 48 hour Indie Speed Run and helped make a game called Guardian Witch.

I helped add a bunch of features to a game about physics called

That one's still in progress.

Did some music for my friends' game Wild Blue.

Worked on a couple games that aren't done yet or are shelved... can't talk about those much. Sad

Also, I tried to do NaNoWriMo and completely failed to keep up with the word count. Maybe this year.

Anyway, looking back on it, overall it was a great year!

Cevo70
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2014, 08:33:54 AM »

I got my somewhat overly ambition project moved over to Unity and am pretty excited about it.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 08:39:23 AM by Cevo70 » Logged

bitserum
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2014, 03:39:21 AM »

Learned a LOT of Unity and some ambiance music creation, improved a bit on my 3D skills and flushed a project I really liked down the drain in favor of a much simpler one. Participated in 3 game jams... and decided to super-boost my drawing skills in 2014.
Hope it won't end up as one of those "New Year resolutions" that get lost somewhere in time.
erebusman
Level 2

no one of consequence

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2014, 07:47:13 PM »

Hopefully its not a break of etiquette to keep posting in this thread, I wasn't a forum member last year and just saw this and its still January .. :D

2013 I did the following

January: Released Space Chickens VS Angry Zombies for iOS and began teaching myself Java
February: Released Leprechaun's Luck for iOS
March: Ported Leprechaun's luck to Android
April: Ported my Pirates Jewels game to Android
May: got hired as a full time software engineer for my day job! (using Java ..)
June-August: mostly kept my nose to the grindstone learning more about Java and coming up to speed in my new job
Sept October: Totally rewrote my match-3 game in Object Oriented C++ rather than straight C and released Pirates Jewels II which made it on Desura (my first time on Desura!)
November: Started learning Unity and C# and created Nanobots as a test/learning project. Also began first steps of a new untitled project with a friend at work
December: did Ludum Dare 28 compo using Unity and actually finished on time!!  My game was "One Minute of Light"

Infernohawke Entertainment
BapeNAsians
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2014, 05:27:48 AM »

I tend on planning and developing a commercial 3D game. Currently working on an alternative to Tiled implemented in python with pyOpenGL and pyqt. Plus a 2d advanced AI library all free.
Enchantainment
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2014, 06:46:16 AM »

Guess I'm a bit late to the thread, but in 2013 I finished development of my game, Ghoulish Hijinks and released it on iOS and PC!
dbhgamer
Level 0

functional minimalist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2014, 10:51:26 AM »

Likewise, hope I'm not bugging people out by posting late.
2013 mostly sucked, then took a turn and became kind of good.

January - September:
Constant crunch on The Horror at MS Aurora until we finally released it. Ironically got featured in Develop magazines top 100 startups around the time we went out of business. Oh, and my dad passed away in cancer during this time - so it's mostly a stressed-out, intoxicated blur.

September:
ChainJam - the best local multiplayer game jam ever. I made Yeoman Percivals Last Flight, I tried making Hip-Hop for the soundtrack, which was new and exiting to me.
I found heaps of old music I've made (some 26 hours of finished, unreleased materials) and started organizing and putting it up on bandcamp - for the sake of closure.

October:
0hGameJam - it was sick, I wasn't sober, but I made a working thing called Jump MOFO Jump.
AsylumJam - made The Devious Contraption, which I then polished and sent to the IGF.

November:
Then I've kind of just built on the next big thing, about cancer, which is tough but really fulfilling.

So yeah, bad start - good end. Had to suffer a few of lifes hardest lessons. I'd like to think that I did good.

Making games about life and stuff.
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2014, 03:55:43 AM »

Retired from programming because fuck Android. Started a business. Got offered double the salary to get back into programming. Realized that Android is a gold mine, much like the dot com boom era. Getting way more projects than I could hope to work on.

I actually got started on game development because I enjoy simulations. Something like simulating a real world city inside a game, synthesizing myself inside that game, and seeing how long synthesized me would survive in a world war or against zombies. All that data collection and variable tweaking, fun.

Thanks to smartphones, we have sensors in our pockets, so I get to play around with those. Fun career move for me. But right now the business I started and delayed payments are burning a hole in my pocket.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic