Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:13:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookFrom Primordial Egg [Finished]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: From Primordial Egg [Finished]  (Read 69510 times)
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2008, 10:11:24 AM »

Yup, you'll grow differently based on how you fight, how often and where you get hit, how much you run/jump around, how aggressively you fight, how you eat, and whatever else I could think of.

Kicking is really pretty useful, as you can attack people close to you, and sometimes even above you (even at the smallest stage, it hurts them a little, just doesn't knock 'em back), but often times you'll have to kick while crouched down.

I tried using kick as my primary attack once, and ended up with a skinny dinosaur with a long tail who could jump 6 or 7 blocks high by the end.

I think it would be funnier to have "Fin" at the end screen instead of "End". It gives it that fairy tale aesthetic, you know?

Hmmm... I wonder if it's too late...?
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2008, 10:30:25 AM »

Yup, you'll grow differently based on how you fight, how often and where you get hit, how much you run/jump around, how aggressively you fight, how you eat, and whatever else I could think of.
I'd love to see some sort of chart of what the different evolutionary paths lead, and how to manage them. In the meanwhile the final screen (along with saying "fin") should show a chart of the evolutions your dinosaur went through and your stats.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2008, 10:47:45 AM »

I love the animation in this. Your guy feels solid and heavy, and its great to see and feel him growing stronger.

The repeated corpse chewing did get old, especially on the second or third play-through of a level. I felt like I always had to stop and get the five or six chews out of everyone.

J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2008, 01:15:24 PM »

Awesome animation.  The difficulty was pretty hardcore in the last level, but not impossibly so.  I loved how the guys would pick up dropped weapons and climb up ledges and cower in fear when they were trapped.  Really sold me on the idea that I was a horrible monster terrorizing the human population...assuming that's what you going for.  The evolution was cool, although I couldn't tell how much of an effect it had on gameplay.  The only major change I noticed was that I started stomping and shaking the screen when I jumped after I leveled up a few times.  If my bite attack got stronger (or jump got higher, or anything else), I couldn't really tell for sure.

Just read this:

I tried using kick as my primary attack once, and ended up with a skinny dinosaur with a long tail who could jump 6 or 7 blocks high by the end.

Gotta go try that now.  I only used kick once or twice and was getting frustrated with the jump height by the end of the game.

Haha, kicking guys way into the air is awesome.  I'm curious, is it possible to make it across that big gap at the end of level 3?  I could almost make it after using kick as my primary attack.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2008, 01:35:34 PM »

Yes, you can. There isn't anything over there, unfortunately.

Make some secret areas, Fifth! Beer!
increpare
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2008, 06:56:37 PM »

woah; fun game!
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 10:36:46 AM »

Yes, you can. There isn't anything over there, unfortunately.

Make some secret areas, Fifth! Beer!

I really should have, yeah.  I was kinda rushing against the deadline for the last screen as it was, though...

As it is, the gap and the ledge in area 3 were put there so that you could get back to the beginning once you could jump 6 squares high and get to the spot to the left of the starting point.
Unfortunately, I never actually make that spot lead anywhere, you you'll just fall off the screen if you try it.

I'd love to see some sort of chart of what the different evolutionary paths lead, and how to manage them. In the meanwhile the final screen (along with saying "fin") should show a chart of the evolutions your dinosaur went through and your stats.

It's really just seven attributes that get upgraded gradually, and each time you grow the game chooses a few of your most used to add points into.  I'm not sure if an evolutionary path chart at the end would really work... I guess I'm not really seeing how to best convey the information.
Nonetheless, I'm kinda fond of keeping the stats nebulous.  But that's probably just me.
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 12:47:38 PM »

Awwww, I evolved and got stuck under a platform! Sad

Fun game though =)

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2008, 01:13:35 PM »

Ah, no!
I updated that level to keep that from happening, but forgot to add it to the updated zip!

Goodness... it should be fixed now.  Not worth re-downloading over, but good to note.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2008, 10:51:05 PM »

holy hell this game is hard. I've been running through the levels avoiding everything and in the later levels...I'm not sure how you're supposed to survive against some of those things the humans pick up. It starts at level 3, with the first encounter with the whip, which is ridiculously hard to not die against. From then on it just gets insane.
That said,
Awesome game.

edit: oh, yes! I beat it! Or at least made it through alive.

Bob le Moche
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2008, 01:12:47 PM »

Just beat the game, it's awesome! I really love the animation and morphing on the dino.
Titch
Level 3

Cautiously Pragmatic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2008, 04:49:09 PM »

Love the whole growth mechanic. Although the later levels got so hard it became a little less satisfying as being really big didn't seem to help much against rain of dynamite. Ended up running/jumping through the last level. I like the nebulous evolution stats, but a perhaps a list of potential forms with no attach stats to see which ones you've seen and how many there are left to see.

Eating is a little tedious after a while. Too bad there's no throw in the air and swallow in one gulp finisher  Evil

Lots of fun. Might do another run through tomorrow and try something less bite-y.

DoctorAnus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2008, 01:48:25 AM »

Something about the contrast between the whimsical, almost humorous looping of the strange music and the inevitable growth of the beast and rise of carnage inspired me a sort of violent glee which kept me hooked to the end of your fun, if totally pointless game. Although eating corpses quickly gets old, surprisingly complex AI behavior cranks up the challenge in an interesting way. Well-made.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2008, 02:18:44 PM »

The evolution was really smooth! I kind of want to play it again now just to see if it turns out differently.

I didn't actually find the difficulty to be that bad. The key to fighting enemies with ranged attacks, like the whip and gun, is to use your stomp attack against them.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2008, 02:25:34 PM »

While it becomes harder to kick people as time goes on, due to the ever-increasing size of your dino, I like that stomp damage is usually upgraded as well.

I think it would be cool if the dinosaur actually changed shape slightly depending on how you went. There's a lot of different accessories now, like horns or fins, but I feel like the dinos feet should actually grow if you're just kicking/stomping everything. Same with teeth.
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2008, 01:58:24 PM »

Actually, of the seven attributes, four of them are stage-based (head, crest, spine, and skin), but the other three are based on values that alter your dino's shape/size, it's just tough to tell when you change gradually.

Kick power/jump height affects the dino's leg size, running speed is determined by your tail's length, and a weight modifier (which determines max HP and stomping damage) affects the dino's body proportions.  Again, this is all easier to notice with actual, differing examples, rather than watching the gradual changes during a play-through.  Kinda makes me wish I'd saved your dino's data each time...

Heh, it would've been cool to have more of a variable, open morphology, but I hope it stands well enough as it is.
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2008, 04:32:35 PM »

at one point I actually gulped down enemies that were jumping at me. That was awesome.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2008, 11:52:31 PM »

This is a fantastic game!  My computer had problems with the audio, but I love the concept and execution.

We should compare dinos. Well, hello there!
greggyd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2008, 07:13:43 AM »

Woah I really loved playing this game!
I really liked the dino animations and the controls.
I thought the difficulty was quite good, easy at first to get used to the controls but then towards the end it got difficult and I had to run away sometimes!
The evolution concept is fun too, it was cool to see how he changed! A SNES game called EVO: Search for Eden had a similar system which was interesting.
The health bar was a little confusing at first and I wasn't always sure of how many more hits I could take.
The game also ran fine for me on linux using wine.
Thanks for this!
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2008, 03:17:58 PM »

Kweh!

I'm not sure what's wrong with the audio, but some people have apparently been having different bugs... It's my first time using MMF's volume and frequency changing functions for sound samples, so I don't exactly know what kind of bugs could come up, or how to avoid them.

And yarr, E.V.O. was certainly an inspiration here (no surprise).
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic