Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:31:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookFrom Primordial Egg [Finished]
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: From Primordial Egg [Finished]  (Read 69509 times)
greggyd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2008, 05:19:56 AM »

I've played it through a few times now and it's still really fun, I've found that I do best if I do lots of jumping!
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2008, 05:08:40 PM »

Wow, I can't believe I missed this one! This is great. I love the character animation and the evolution mechanic (Kind of made me want to play E.V.O. again, too). I didn't quite get the hang of controlling my evolution; even when I attacked using only kicks, I evolved into a slightly-fat dinosaur. Although, it did have quite a hefty jump. But still, I want a skinny dino!

Oh, also, I actually really liked the music, and thought it worked well. Perhaps something more ominous or cinematic would have suited a game about a rampaging dinosaur, but in the context of the game having a very retro pixel-art style, I think it's perfect.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2008, 11:00:23 AM »

we gots a winner, this was undoubtedly the most fun to play and the most sophisticated with its growing system. although the collision handling has its faults it doesn't ruin the fun at all and had no major weird stuff with it.

the animation, as others had already pointed out, is amazing. Is it skeletal? Really impressive. care to tell more?

(btw I laughed when I've first seen the brown archeologists with the whip. Indiana Jones FTD! (D for dinner))

« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 02:08:00 AM by !CE-9 » Logged

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2008, 01:51:07 AM »

Love the concept. The beginning was classic. At first I thought that that was the extent of the game :D

There is something extremely satisfying about running about as a dinosaur eating archaeologists. I think I am addicted to eating them now.

The only problem I had with the game was the fact that for some reason the up arrow key wasn't making my dino backup and it seemed to me that sometimes it was pretty damn difficult to kick the archaeologists away before becoming overwhelmed.

All in all though great stuff Beer!

I would love to see this game fleshed out even after the compo ends...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2008, 07:28:46 AM »

This is totally the winner for me too. Once I knew what I was doing, it was way fun. Only problem was the slightly unreasonable difficulty spike in level 3.
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2008, 02:55:27 AM »

Definitely the best compo entry I've played so far!

I died on level 3 as well, although I didn't know you could stomp them.
d= Smiley =b thumbs up!
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2008, 11:47:31 AM »

Many thanks, indeed!

we gots a winner, this was undoubtedly the most fun to play and the most sophisticated with its growing system. although the collision handling has its faults it doesn't ruin the fun at all and had no major weird stuff with it.

the animation, as others had already pointed out, is amazing. Is it skeletal? Really impressive. care to tell more?

Mm, it is skeletal.  Kinda.
It's the first time I've ever tried such a thing, and I had no reference for how to go about doing it... so I pieced it together.  It turned out alright, for the most part (I got the knees to bend properly and all that) but it ended up kinda messy.

The only problem I had with the game was the fact that for some reason the up arrow key wasn't making my dino backup and it seemed to me that sometimes it was pretty damn difficult to kick the archaeologists away before becoming overwhelmed.

I wish I had given a better description to this, 'cause it's a really useful technique, but while you're holding up, you can move back and forth without changing the direction you're facing.  Thus, you can back away from an enemy as your attacking him.  You just have to hold up and move.
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2008, 03:53:17 AM »

Ohh...

Yes, that would be useful.
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

Came for the VGNG comp, stayed for the other stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2008, 02:37:20 PM »

This is a really fun game! Thank you for making it.
(Although I couldn't get past the guys with whips.  Lips Sealed Hand Shake Right )
TobiEx
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2008, 03:42:22 PM »

Hi Fifth,

I'm quite impressed!
I saw a little bit gameplay in this Video:

I noticed the smooth animations immediately and I knew,
I have to test this,... NOW!

The whole idea and the gameplay are great and the animations
of the dino are smooth like molten chocolate!
In my opinion it has alot "Metal Slug"-charm.

And I think this game has potential.
Perfect for a portable console...

But i missed one thing,
no roar from the dinosaur,
that reduces the flair a little bit.

Anyhow a great game and I hope this
isn't the end of it. Wow, all the potential!

I broke my principles, I created an account at this site
only to gratulate you for this nice little game, but
it's worth Wink

Greetings

TobiEx
Gumbosplat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2009, 05:00:22 PM »

I just died on the first gun level, which is really annoying by the way, because you cant see the people shooting at you. Maybe you should put some kind of really fast bullet bill type thing so you have a chance of dodging it? I have a triceratops crest, huge teeth, stubby tail, I'm fat, and I have curved spikes on my back. Awesome game, but needs a tiny bit of work for the glitchy feet thing.

UPDATE!
I just finished as a brown guy with huge teeth (still), stubby tail (still), I'm fat(still), rounded crest, rounded spines, I look angry.
I KILLED THE GUYS WIF GUNS! Big Laff Body count 159

SEQUEL!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 06:08:36 PM by Gumbosplat » Logged

---
HALP
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2009, 12:52:36 AM »

I played all the games (that would run on my computer) but failed to vote. But I thought I'd mention that I really, really enjoyed playing this one. It was the only one I felt compelled to play through to the end. Excellent work!

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
letsap
Level 5

Have faith...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2009, 07:48:54 PM »

This is a super fun game, I'm glad it was bumped into view. In the later levels biting down on everybody was getting tough, so I found myself jumping around ridiculously to clear out droves by landing on them, then eating away any damage I took. I love games where the character grows, this was awesome.

Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2009, 04:14:53 PM »

I love games where the character grows, this was awesome.
Wait, there are others?

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2009, 11:26:21 PM »

Ho, snap!
Thanks Dacke, and letsap!  And everybody else I forgot to thank since last time...!

I love games where the character grows, this was awesome.
Wait, there are others?

Hmm, maybe E.V.O.?  Depends on how literally you want to take the concept.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2009, 11:29:34 PM »

flOw?

Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2009, 01:07:51 AM »

Fable 2
Big Laff

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2009, 01:35:02 AM »

Katamari Damacy. Maybe some shmups where you power-up your ship with turrets and drones etc. Er, Civilization?
This sounds like a compo idea.  Mock Anger

Also: Snake!

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic