Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 04:06:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHeart [zelda-like]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Heart [zelda-like]  (Read 1945 times)
arrogant.gamer
Level 0

Deep down, you probably agree.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 18, 2013, 01:25:26 PM »

Hi

Heart is a zelda-like. I began developing it in Quintus for LD28, and now I'm going to give this "TIG Source Devlogs" thing a try. I expect to work on Heart for a month or two, just enough for it to be a fun couple of hours.

ART

The art is hand-drawn by me (and I suck at drawing). Then it is photographed in bad light, shrunk down, and coloured. This is the first time I've made art assets for a game, and it is a technique that I dreamed up in a sweaty caffeine fuelled rage after realizing/remembering that I wasn't going to be able to use the Creative Commons in my Ludum Dare submission. Here is a before/after example:

Line drawing on rough paper in sketch-book, photographed by the light of a lamp at 1am.

Then I scale the image down to 32px, and apply filters (my girlfriend told me about these magical filters: colour curves and hue-saturation).

Here are links to more information (for the curious).

LD28 entry (prototype): http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-28/?action=preview&uid=22995
Artist's Statement: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/2013/12/17/we-need-to-talk-about-heart/

NEXT STEPS

I implemented zelda-style scrolling on top of Quintus' "scenes" abstraction. My implementation is buggy and terrible, and it is the first thing I'll work on. A smooth zelda-slide is integral to the enjoyment of any zelda-like.

Once that's out of the way, I'll work on a tile-set. I think this game is set in a desert, and I want to have just one all-purpose tile-set that is versatile enough to make a good number of screens. Everything will be done in the style I described above. There will be a heavy reliance on tropes from NES/GB/SNES zelda-games.

I want the movement and fighting in Heart to be closer to that in Dhulfiqar. I'm not 100% settled on what sort of character I want to be the lead, but I have a sense that it will be someone who was cursed to wander the desert for eternity.

z.

z.
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 03:33:14 PM »

I like the robust look of that sprite. Is he holding some kind of rifle? It is nice to see the first of the LD28 prototypes being developed further. I'm excited to continue work on the game a friend and I did not manage to complete in 48 hours.

arrogant.gamer
Level 0

Deep down, you probably agree.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 02:41:10 AM »

My favourite feedback from the Ludum Dare comment thread:

link for web doesn't work

Rich!

z.
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 03:51:50 PM »

tag4 zelda liek

play hydlide 2
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 04:01:38 PM »

You're my hero seagaia, anyodyne was brilliant.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic